Is the Sun Causing Global Warming?

Where'd you get that? A press release from Exxon and the Competitive Enterprise Institute?

Tell it to the 120 scientists on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the National Academies of Science of like 18 nations, including the U.S.

Dont get me wrong, I do support research on this subject as well as funding for caps on greenhouse gasses, but there is really no solid evidence to declare that major climate change is caused by man. I personally believe it is and that something needs to be done, but you wont convince RSR without 100% Hard evidence that, unfortunately we dont have at the moment. We still need to get studys at the top of the atmostphere and just outside it, and we dont have the technology to collect the indisputable data that we need to actually convice the skeptics. Believe me I have seen plenty of evidence to convince me, but that is not enough to convice congress or right wing skeptics to stop there inefficient energy consumption.

The evidence right now is just not the evidence that we really want and need to prove our argument without a doubt.

Where'd you get that? A press release from Exxon and the Competitive Enterprise Institute?

Tell it to the 120 scientists on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the National Academies of Science of like 18 nations, including the U.S.

Weather Expert: Sub-tropical Storms Being Named to Fuel Global Warming Alarmism

A rant about Andrea
Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Well ladies and gentlemen, we have our first named storm of the hurricane season. Interesting because... it's not yet hurricane season... and it's not a tropical storm! It is a sub-tropical storm, and its name is Andrea. As of this writing, it is about 150 miles east of Jacksonville, Fla., with peak winds of about 45 miles per hour.

The first question you might have is... what is a sub-tropical storm? Well, it's 2007, global warming is a major topic of conversation and one of the ways we are told that we can cut our carbon footprint is to buy a hybrid car. Well, Andrea is a hybrid storm. A sub-tropical storm has some of the characteristics of a tropical storm and some characteristics of a regular, non-tropical storm. I've seen storms classified as sub-tropical that looked like they had almost all of the characteristics of a tropical storm, and I've seen storms classified as sub-tropical that sure didn't look very tropical at all. Andrea is closer to non-tropical than to tropical, but it does have some warmer air near its core and the strongest winds are closer to the center than would be the case in a non-tropical storm, but it clearly has no well established upper-level outflow. The next question you might have is can a sub-tropical storm become a tropical storm? And the answer is yes... if the storm sits over warm water for several days and thunderstorms build and cluster near the center and the water is warm enough and upper-level conditions are favorable. And perhaps another question you might have... will Andrea become a truly tropical storm? And the answer is no. Conditions do not appear to be favorable for this storm to strengthen or to transition to a truly tropical storm.

O.K., so we have a storm which is not tropical and is not going to become tropical, so how can the National Hurricane Center issue a Tropical Storm Watch for the coast of Florida and Georgia? The rationale, apparently, is that the storm could bring tropical storm conditions which means sustained winds of 39 mph or higher. To me, that makes no sense whatsoever. If that is the only criteria used to issue a tropical storm watch, then what about a nor'easter in January that brings 50 and 60 mph winds? Why isn't a tropical storm watch issued then if apparently a storm doesn't have to be tropical in order for a tropical storm watch to be issued? Catch my drift?

Here's another thing to ponder. Back in the old days... and I'm only talking 5 years or so ago... we did not name sub-tropical storms. Names were only given to storms that were deemed to be truly tropical. In the last few years, there have been a number of sub-tropical storms named. Those named storms go into the total of named storms and obviously increase the number of storms that year and consequently increase the average number of storms per year. It has been claimed that global warming is responsible for an increasing number of tropical storms and hurricanes, but here is a reason that the number of storms is increasing that has absolutely nothing to do with global warming. It's because we are mixing apples and oranges and calling them all apples! And, by the way, on that topic, there was an interesting article recently published by the American Geophysical Union written by C.W. Landsea, a very respected hurricane researcher, that says any increase in the number of hurricanes observed over the last 100 years is only the result of the fact that we have more ships at sea, more people living on coastlines, and satellites to see storms now that would have gone unrecorded 50 or 75 years ago. You can find more about this article, at Global Perspective blog in the Global Warming Center.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=sobel

Forum List

Back