Is the Senate Going to Vote with the House?

Will 10 Senator Defect?

• Yes, there are enough bulldogs!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
All the Senate Republicans and Liberman will vote against it (41), that mean 10 Democrats have to defect for the bill to die (a tie vote will go to the I believe the VP, meaning it will get approval)!

So will the 10 Democrats vote against the President and Democrats?

I don't think the bluedogs have the courage to go against the Party, Obama, Reid and Pelosi on this one! I think it will get passed!

All the Senate Republicans and Liberman will vote against it (41), that mean 10 Democrats have to defect for the bill to die (a tie vote will go to the I believe the VP, meaning it will get approval)!

I dont understand that. It will take 60 votes to pass because of the threat of filibuster. There are 100 Senators so minus 41 GOP+Lieberman gives 59. If they vote like that then the bill is dead.
And that assumes that "Sheets" Byrd from WV is available. He's over 90 and has been pretty sick recently.

I dont understand that. It will take 60 votes to pass because of the threat of filibuster. There are 100 Senators so minus 41 GOP+Lieberman gives 59. If they vote like that then the bill is dead.
And that assumes that "Sheets" Byrd from WV is available. He's over 90 and has been pretty sick recently.

Its only a majority meaning they need 51 votes! The 2/3 vote only comes into play to over-ride a Presidential veto. If there is a tie, I believe the Vice President votes to break the tie! Meaning Biden would get the chance to vote yes!

Its only a majority meaning they need 51 votes! The 2/3 vote only comes into play to over-ride a Presidential veto. If there is a tie, I believe the Vice President votes to break the tie! Meaning Biden would get the chance to vote yes!

The Dems need 60 votes to overcome a filibuster which is what they will be facing.

We can add civics to the list of things you are easily confused by.

The Dems need 60 votes to overcome a filibuster which is what they will be facing.

Smokey,

60 votes is needed to prevent a filibuster! Filibusters stall votes, but the majority can end a fillabuster by a closture! A vote will be harder to get, but it will come!

afaik, the only way it gets through the Senate with a simple majority is through reconciliation, but who knows how feasible that really is with this hc bill... and not to mention that it's got some nasty potential political side effects.

60 votes is needed to prevent a filibuster! Filibusters stall votes, but the majority can end a fillabuster by a closture! A vote will be harder to get, but it will come!

Cloture takes 60 votes. I think that is the point people are making. If Lieberman supports a GOP filibuster, there are not enough votes for cloture.

Cloture takes 60 votes. I think that is the point people are making. If Lieberman supports a GOP filibuster, there are not enough votes for cloture.

Cloture takes a vote? I thought cloture was a motioned by the Senate Majority Leader! Are you certain about that? If that is the case then a cloture is well useless.:eusa_eh:

Smokey,

cloture requires 60 votes!

you're a fucking idiot!

not surprised!

:rofl:

Cloture takes a vote? I thought cloture was a motioned by the Senate Majority Leader! Are you certain about that? If that is the case then a cloture is well useless.:eusa_eh:

Yeah it definitely takes a vote. You could never have a filibuster if all the majority leader had to do to end it was to invoke Cloture. The motion or petition for cloture is introduced, but it requires 60 votes to pass it. Used to be 67 votes, in fact, but it changed to 60 back in the 1970s.

Smokey,

facepalm.jpg

WHere is the beat the head smiley?

Yes, if the Dums proceed with a bill in the Senate the minority will announce a filibuster. Under present rules that means there is one going on the bill, regardless of who is talking or not. And under rules, it requires 60 votes to invoke cloture. If 40 Republicans and Joe Lieberman support the filibuster they can prevent a vote until the end of that Congress. And the bill dies at that point.

And will any conservative Dems go over to the GOP side on this?

Lieberman is already on the record as being willing to filibuster any bill with a p.o. There are a whole bunch who could potentially oppose it should it contain a full public option. The ND pair, Lincoln, Bayh, Landrieu, Baucus, and Nelson come to mind as possibilities.

President Clinton is going to get involved. I was praying that he would. I'm so glad.

Bubba heads to the Hill: Former President Bill Clinton heads to Capitol Hill today to speak to Democratic senators at their weekly caucus meeting at 1:45 pm ET. The topic, of course, will be health care. What’s particularly interesting is that Clinton has strong ties to the Senate centrists who could very well decide the fate of the health-care bill in the Senate. Clinton was governor when Ben Nelson served as governor of Nebraska; Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor just happen to represent Clinton’s home state of Arkansas; and Clinton and Joe Lieberman used to be VERY close personally and ideologically -- all before the Lewinsky scandal. In particular, what kind of advice does Clinton give to Lincoln and Pryor? What does he say to Lieberman (if the Connecticut senator ends up attending)? During the '08 campaign, Clinton found his stride campaigning in, well, red America -- in places that are similar politically to Arkansas, Nebraska, Indiana, etc. Clinton's at his best when he's giving OTHERS political advice, and he excels at framing an argument better than just about anyone on the political stage today.

First Read - msnbc.com

New Topics

Forum List

Back