Is the Republican Party or conservative ideology dead?

I believe it's THOSE conservatives who have Washington and the media in a dither... The ones who decided to send try to a message via their Tea Parties, in a peaceful "revolt".

"Ahhh...." they ask, "Why was there no revolution until Obama took office?"

It's really quite simple. It's revolting that a President who campaigned on a platform of CHANGE has managed to hoodwink so many, when there is no evidence of change at all when it comes to fiscal responsibility, in this case.

He is being fiscally responsible. If your home is falling apart, do you call yourself fiscally irresponsible when you pay to have it fixed? No.

But what if you need to cut back on spending and every weekend you go to a gun show and buy yourself a new gun? Hell, you don't even pay for it. You just put it on your credit card. That's what Bush did.

Obama's spending is to get us out of a financial crisis. You are not an economist. Most economist say the stimulus bill is a good idea and necessary.

But as for cutting wasteful spending, Obama is already doing that.

You right wingers are insane. Keep it up. :clap2:

And you sir are a moron.

the CBO predicts that Obama will have the debt up to nearly 80% of GDP in the next ten years.

And Obama bases his numbers on a nearly 4% growth in GDP over the next few years. When was the last time we had a sustained 4% annual rise in GDP????

the fucking guy is smoking crack if he thinks his numbers work. And you're to fucking busy smoking Obama's dick to do the math

What number is the CBO basing their numbers on?

He is being fiscally responsible. If your home is falling apart, do you call yourself fiscally irresponsible when you pay to have it fixed? No.

But what if you need to cut back on spending and every weekend you go to a gun show and buy yourself a new gun? Hell, you don't even pay for it. You just put it on your credit card. That's what Bush did.

Obama's spending is to get us out of a financial crisis. You are not an economist. Most economist say the stimulus bill is a good idea and necessary.

And you sir are a moron.

the CBO predicts that Obama will have the debt up to nearly 80% of GDP in the next ten years.

And Obama bases his numbers on a nearly 4% growth in GDP over the next few years. When was the last time we had a sustained 4% annual rise in GDP????

the fucking guy is smoking crack if he thinks his numbers work. And you're to fucking busy smoking Obama's dick to do the math

What number is the CBO basing their numbers on?

The same numbers that Obama is basing his on. The difference is that the CBO actually knows how to comprehend them.

And you sir are a moron.

Cheney said deficits don't matter. I'm simply trusting Cheney at his word. :lol:

PS. We can spend all we want, if the spending goes towards good programs. Then once we are back on course, we can cut spending where needed.

If you don't like the results, go vote in 2012. Until then, shut the fuck up. :lol:

when was the last time a government spending program was cut??

And you sir are a moron.

Cheney said deficits don't matter. I'm simply trusting Cheney at his word. :lol:

PS. We can spend all we want, if the spending goes towards good programs. Then once we are back on course, we can cut spending where needed.

If you don't like the results, go vote in 2012. Until then, shut the fuck up. :lol:

Obama is cutting all the wasteful defense spending that you love so much.

And he cut $100 million

Obama Orders $100 Million in Budget Cuts, Worries About 'Confidence Gap' - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

All in less than 100 days. WOW! :clap2:

And he cut $100 million

Obama Orders $100 Million in Budget Cuts, Worries About 'Confidence Gap' - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

$100 million relative to the federal budget is spit in the buck, so small its silly even to mention.

Though there was a thread yesterday about wasteful stimulus spending for a half a million dollar bridge, so maybe it is context that counts.

Given that the accepted defintion of conservative is one who defends the status quo I doubt there are any dictionary conservatives anywhere in this country. I doubt anyone is particualrly fond of the current status quo.

Strangely enough in virtually every other country in the world the liberals are the party of smaller government lower taxes etc. Only in America are liberals the people who seek a state solution for every problem more taxes and more government.

Given that the accepted defintion of conservative is one who defends the status quo I doubt there are any dictionary conservatives anywhere in this country. I doubt anyone is particualrly fond of the current status quo.

Strangely enough in virtually every other country in the world the liberals are the party of smaller government lower taxes etc. Only in America are liberals the people who seek a state solution for every problem more taxes and more government.

Maybe "reactionaries" would be a better description?

Not really. In fact liberal fits the average Republican far better than it does the average Democrat these days given that Classical liberalism was all about defending individuals from the over weaning power of government, and the average modern Democrat seems to believe in one way or the other that the power of government isn't overweening enough.

I completely agree; however, I'm sure we disagree on the reason. Leftists DO dominate the Democratic party. Liberals don't dominate anything. There is NOTHING liberal abou t the Democratic party. While it may believe in a different route in getting there, The Democrats/leftists in this country are every bit as much about power and control and forcing everyone to live by their rules as they accuse the the right of being.

There is NOTHING liberal about THAT.

The observation I make is that (American religious) conservatives want people to be free in their economic lives but control their social lives while liberals want to control people's economic lives but let them be free with their social lives. That's an exaggeration of course, but that appears to be the general trend.

I make the distinction between religious conservatives and the older Goldwater conservatives, which were more libertarian.

Here is a recent poll on party and political identification.

NA-AX490_CAPJOU_NS_20090504193214.gif

GOP Tries to Dig Out of Its Hole - WSJ.com

In the Journal/NBC News survey, just 31% of those polled called themselves Republicans. That's down from 37% eight years ago. More important, a larger share of Americans now call themselves Democrats than Republicans in every region of the country, including the South, which the GOP likes to think of as its remaining bastion. Democrats also outnumber Republicans in every age group. In sum, the view of the Republican Party that emerges is the very picture of a minority party.

At the same time, there are many potential Republicans out there. Of those surveyed, 35% called themselves conservatives -- as opposed to 24% who called themselves liberals -- and four in 10 of those self-identified conservatives identified themselves as something other than a Republican.

Meanwhile, Democrats are getting the majority of liberals and twice as many moderates as the GOP, as well as a good slice of those self-identified conservatives. Perhaps not surprisingly, the conservatives the Republicans are failing to win over are far more likely to identify themselves as "somewhat conservative" than "very conservative.

Here is the poll.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/WSJ_NewsPoll_042809.pdf

Last edited:
You are correct sir.

When I say conservative,I mean fiscally conservative. I don't give a rat's ass if someone fucks chickens in his living room, or has sex with his wife or gay lover or shemale hooker while hanging from a chandelier. I don't care if someone smokes a joint or drops acid for fun. All I want is for people to be 100% responsible for the consequences of their actions.

So I am definitely not a conservative in the accepted definition but I call myself conservative for my stand on smaller less expensive less intrusive government.

I believe it's THOSE conservatives who have Washington and the media in a dither... The ones who decided to send try to a message via their Tea Parties, in a peaceful "revolt".

"Ahhh...." they ask, "Why was there no revolution until Obama took office?"

It's really quite simple. It's revolting that a President who campaigned on a platform of CHANGE has managed to hoodwink so many, when there is no evidence of change at all when it comes to fiscal responsibility, in this case.

It would be difficult to be insulted by a deaf, dumb and blind person, not to mention, apparently, ignorant of the subject matter. There is no need for a degree in economics to understand what Obama has said and done, especially since he has supposedly dumbed it down so all the "little people" could understand it.

The stimulus is not the total of the spending, or were you not aware of that? Even if that were the case, let's examine your claim:
"Most economist say the stimulus bill is a good idea and necessary."
You have heard of Google, correct?

Google search: economists stimulus bill

Top five search results
DC Republican Examiner: Harvard Economist: 'Stimulus is probably the worst bill that has been put forward since the 1930s'
http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009...-the-spectrum-continue-to-flee-stimulus-bill/
For Many Economists, Stimulus Falls Flat - CBS News
The $800 Billion Gamble: Economists Say Stimulus Cuts Could Be "Disastrous"
Will the stimulus actually stimulate? Economists say no | McClatchy

Next, let's look at Obama's

Plan for Restoring Fiscal Discipline
The Problem
Increasing Debt: Under President Bush, the federal debt has increased from $5.7 trillion to $8.8 trillion, an increase of more than 50 percent.

Irresponsible Tax Cuts: President Bush's policies of giving tax breaks for the wealthy will cost the nation over $2.3 trillion by the time they expire in 2009.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden's Plan
Restore Fiscal Discipline to Washington
Reinstate PAYGO Rules: Obama and Biden believe that a critical step in restoring fiscal discipline is enforcing pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) budgeting rules which require new spending commitments or tax changes to be paid for by cuts to other programs or new revenue.
NOT DOING IT
Reverse Bush Tax Cuts for the Wealthy: Obama and Biden will protect tax cuts for poor and middle class families, but they will reverse most of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest taxpayers.
WORKING ON IT
Cut Pork Barrel Spending: Obama introduced and passed bipartisan legislation that would require more disclosure and transparency for special-interest earmarks. Obama and Biden believe that spending that cannot withstand public scrutiny cannot be justified. Obama and Biden will slash earmarks to no greater than year 1994 levels and ensure all spending decisions are open to the public.
NOT DOING IT
Make Government Spending More Accountable and Efficient: Obama and Biden will ensure that federal contracts over $25,000 are competitively bid. Obama and Biden will also increase the efficiency of government programs through better use of technology, stronger management that demands accountability and by leveraging the government's high-volume purchasing power to get lower prices.
NOT DOING IT
End Wasteful Government Spending: Obama and Biden will stop funding wasteful, obsolete federal government programs that make no financial sense. Obama and Biden have called for an end to subsidies for oil and gas companies that are enjoying record profits, as well as the elimination of subsidies to the private student loan industry which has repeatedly used unethical business practices. Obama and Biden will also tackle wasteful spending in the Medicare program.
NOT DOING IT
Make the Tax System More Fair and Efficient
End Tax Haven Abuse: Building on his bipartisan work in the Senate, Obama will give the Treasury Department the tools it needs to stop the abuse of tax shelters and offshore tax havens and help close the $350 billion tax gap between taxes owed and taxes paid.
WORKING ON IT (AS OF YESTERDAY)
Close Special Interest Corporate Loopholes: Obama and Biden will level the playing field for all businesses by eliminating special-interest loopholes and deductions, such as those for the oil and gas industry.
NOT DOING IT
Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Fiscal

Feb. 23, 2009
Obama touts pay-as-you-go spending - Washington Times
STILL TALKING ABOUT PAY-GO

Apr. 27, 2009
washingtonpost.com
WTF HAPPENED TO PAY-GO?

By all means, tell us where he's being fiscally responsible and cutting wasteful spending. (Freezing staff salaries doesn't count....)

And he cut $100 million

At his first formal Cabinet meeting Monday, President Barack Obama orders department and agency chiefs to look for ways to cut $100 million

How much is he cutting from defense spending?

$100 million is what % of $3.5 trillion?

Forum List

Back