Is the Republican Party or conservative ideology dead?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mattskramer, May 4, 2009.

1. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Is the Republican Party or conservative ideology dead? It certainly is weak. How can it recover? I think that it will be a long time before conservatives and/or Republicans gain significant strength in Federal government. We have a far left president leading his executive branch. Congress just lost another Republican (though a moderate Republican or RINO as some may call him). We just lost a Republican selected Supreme Court Justice. Obama will probably select a more left-leaning person for judge.

The conservatives have moved away from the Republicans (disappointed in the Republican’s alleged move to the left). The conservatives are abandoning the Republicans or the Republicans are abandoning the conservatives or the separation was mutual (take your pick). Anyway, it practically results in a split ticket – helping the Democrats that much more.

Will conservative talking heads be able to convince Republican politicians to be more conservative and earn their vote or will there be a new right-wing party? Will conservatives be able to convince the general voting public to demand that elected officials be more conservative? Will the conservatives compromise, hold their noses, and vote for moderate Republicans (as in voting for the better of two evils). Even though McCain was not a far right-wing conservative, I think that most conservatives would agree that they would have rather had him as president than Obama as president. No matter what strategy or strategies the conservatives use, I think that it will be a very long time before we have a Ronald Reagan – like administration in Washington.

Perhaps the only chance for conservatives is if Obama really really screws up America in the eyes of the public. As liberal as he may be, I’ don’t see that happening any time soon.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    no.

3. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Didn't you leave forever the other day?

4. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,678

he's well on the way,, 3 months and he's doubled the debt hasn't stopped either war, escalated one of them,,

5. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    It's an interesting phenonemon. Normally, you have compromises between coalition party elements that are made to get the party elected.

The core Republicans nowdays are dominated by religious right and tax cut zealots, and neither group is willing to compromise with anyone, including moderate Republicans or Democrats.

Unless the economy remains in a rut, I predict that the hard core element will be a far right candidate on for '12, someone like Palin where the ideology is masked by a pretty smile. Then they'll get crushed in the general election (a la Barry Goldwater in '64) and out of that fiasco a more moderate Republican party will emerge.

All rank speculation.

6. raceright

raceright Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Nope we are stuck with Obowma for 8 years so
    batten down the hatches cause there is not enough to go around and the libs do not know how to make it only spend it. I have a exit stratgey in place for myself its my Grand children that will need more help than I can give them .

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

I've said before, perhaps on this board, that the Republicans are not Conservatives. This was especially true under W. I always found it laughable that the party line Dems hated Bush due to his Conservatism when he was more Liberal in most respects than Billy C.

Republicans cannot win when they are just Democrat-lite. Either become a Democrat or act like a Republican. Spectre, Arlan or Phil, should never have been a Republican in the first place.

Now, does that mean that to be a Republican, you have call abortion murder? No. It means don't spend every dime you can imagine out to the third generation away. Run on fiscal Conservative values and forget about Abortion. Don't be holier than thou. Just stop bouncing checks.

8. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,025
    What conservative ideology.

the Repudlicans abandoned conservatism years ago.

No one, I repeat no one in the so called two party system is calling for the reduction of government size and expense.

We've had one party saying that cutting taxes while increasing spending works, and we have another guy who says he's cutting taxes while increasing spending and that his strategy is somehow different from the other guy who did the same fucking thing.

And all the while more and more of our hard earned cash ends up in the government coffers to be wasted. but hey the government know how to handle your money better than you right? After all you were stupid enough to vote for more of the same disguised as change so maybe you are too fucking stupid to be trusted with your own money.

9. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Could be. I've been saying this same shit for 8 years and it didn't faze the pass the buck generation from putting Bush into office twice. Doesn't bode well, I agree.

PS you don't need to use large letters. It doesn't make your point more persuasive. Plus it is easy to modify in the reply.

10. Iriemon

Iriemon VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Jeez I hope they get the message.