Is the Republican Party or conservative ideology dead?

mattskramer

Apr 11, 2004
Texas
Is the Republican Party or conservative ideology dead? It certainly is weak. How can it recover? I think that it will be a long time before conservatives and/or Republicans gain significant strength in Federal government. We have a far left president leading his executive branch. Congress just lost another Republican (though a moderate Republican or RINO as some may call him). We just lost a Republican selected Supreme Court Justice. Obama will probably select a more left-leaning person for judge.

The conservatives have moved away from the Republicans (disappointed in the Republican’s alleged move to the left). The conservatives are abandoning the Republicans or the Republicans are abandoning the conservatives or the separation was mutual (take your pick). Anyway, it practically results in a split ticket – helping the Democrats that much more.

Will conservative talking heads be able to convince Republican politicians to be more conservative and earn their vote or will there be a new right-wing party? Will conservatives be able to convince the general voting public to demand that elected officials be more conservative? Will the conservatives compromise, hold their noses, and vote for moderate Republicans (as in voting for the better of two evils). Even though McCain was not a far right-wing conservative, I think that most conservatives would agree that they would have rather had him as president than Obama as president. No matter what strategy or strategies the conservatives use, I think that it will be a very long time before we have a Ronald Reagan – like administration in Washington.

Perhaps the only chance for conservatives is if Obama really really screws up America in the eyes of the public. As liberal as he may be, I’ don’t see that happening any time soon.

Last edited:
Is the Republican Party or conservative ideology dead? It certainly is weak. How can it recover? I think that it will be a long time before conservatives and/or Republicans gain significant strength in Federal government. We have a far left president leading his executive branch. Congress just lost another Republican (though a moderate Republican or RINO as some may call him). We just lost a Republican selected Supreme Court Justice. Obama will probably select a more left-leaning person for judge.

The conservatives have moved away from the Republicans (disappointed in the Republican’s alleged move to the left). The conservatives are abandoning the Republicans or the Republicans are abandoning the conservatives or the separation was mutual (take your pick). Anyway, it practically results in a split ticket – helping the Democrats that much more.

Will conservative talking heads be able to convince Republican politicians to be more conservative and earn their vote or will there be a new right-wing party? Will conservatives be able to convince the general voting public to demand that elected officials be more conservative? Will the conservatives compromise, hold their noses, and vote for moderate Republicans (as in voting for the better of two evils). Even though McCain was not a far right-wing conservative, I think that most conservatives would agree that they would have rather had him as president than Obama as president. No matter what strategy or strategies the conservatives use, I think that it will be a very long time before we have a Ronald Reagan – like administration in Washington.

Perhaps the only chance for conservatives is if Obama really really screws up America in the eyes of the public. As liberal as he may be, I’ don’t see that happening any time soon.

he's well on the way,, 3 months and he's doubled the debt hasn't stopped either war, escalated one of them,,

It's an interesting phenonemon. Normally, you have compromises between coalition party elements that are made to get the party elected.

The core Republicans nowdays are dominated by religious right and tax cut zealots, and neither group is willing to compromise with anyone, including moderate Republicans or Democrats.

Unless the economy remains in a rut, I predict that the hard core element will be a far right candidate on for '12, someone like Palin where the ideology is masked by a pretty smile. Then they'll get crushed in the general election (a la Barry Goldwater in '64) and out of that fiasco a more moderate Republican party will emerge.

All rank speculation.

It's an interesting phenonemon. Normally, you have compromises between coalition party elements that are made to get the party elected.

The core Republicans nowdays are dominated by religious right and tax cut zealots, and neither group is willing to compromise with anyone, including moderate Republicans or Democrats.

Unless the economy remains in a rut, I predict that the hard core element will be a far right candidate on for '12, someone like Palin where the ideology is masked by a pretty smile. Then they'll get crushed in the general election (a la Barry Goldwater in '64) and out of that fiasco a more moderate Republican party will emerge.

All rank speculation.

Nope we are stuck with Obowma for 8 years so
batten down the hatches cause there is not enough to go around and the libs do not know how to make it only spend it. I have a exit stratgey in place for myself its my Grand children that will need more help than I can give them .

I've said before, perhaps on this board, that the Republicans are not Conservatives. This was especially true under W. I always found it laughable that the party line Dems hated Bush due to his Conservatism when he was more Liberal in most respects than Billy C.

Republicans cannot win when they are just Democrat-lite. Either become a Democrat or act like a Republican. Spectre, Arlan or Phil, should never have been a Republican in the first place.

Now, does that mean that to be a Republican, you have call abortion murder? No. It means don't spend every dime you can imagine out to the third generation away. Run on fiscal Conservative values and forget about Abortion. Don't be holier than thou. Just stop bouncing checks.

What conservative ideology.

the Repudlicans abandoned conservatism years ago.

No one, I repeat no one in the so called two party system is calling for the reduction of government size and expense.

We've had one party saying that cutting taxes while increasing spending works, and we have another guy who says he's cutting taxes while increasing spending and that his strategy is somehow different from the other guy who did the same fucking thing.

And all the while more and more of our hard earned cash ends up in the government coffers to be wasted. but hey the government know how to handle your money better than you right? After all you were stupid enough to vote for more of the same disguised as change so maybe you are too fucking stupid to be trusted with your own money.

All rank speculation.

Nope we are stuck with Obowma for 8 years so
batten down the hatches cause there is not enough to go around and the libs do not know how to make it only spend it. I have a exit stratgey in place for myself its my Grand children that will need more help than I can give them .

Could be. I've been saying this same shit for 8 years and it didn't faze the pass the buck generation from putting Bush into office twice. Doesn't bode well, I agree.

PS you don't need to use large letters. It doesn't make your point more persuasive. Plus it is easy to modify in the reply.

I've said before, perhaps on this board, that the Republicans are not Conservatives. This was especially true under W. I always found it laughable that the party line Dems hated Bush due to his Conservatism when he was more Liberal in most respects than Billy C.

Republicans cannot win when they are just Democrat-lite. Either become a Democrat or act like a Republican. Spectre, Arlan or Phil, should never have been a Republican in the first place.

Now, does that mean that to be a Republican, you have call abortion murder? No. It means don't spend every dime you can imagine out to the third generation away. Run on fiscal Conservative values and forget about Abortion. Don't be holier than thou. Just stop bouncing checks.

Jeez I hope they get the message.

What conservative ideology.

the Repudlicans abandoned conservatism years ago.

No one, I repeat no one in the so called two party system is calling for the reduction of government size and expense.

We've had one party saying that cutting taxes while increasing spending works, and we have another guy who says he's cutting taxes while increasing spending and that his strategy is somehow different from the other guy who did the same fucking thing.

And all the while more and more of our hard earned cash ends up in the government coffers to be wasted. but hey the government know how to handle your money better than you right? After all you were stupid enough to vote for more of the same disguised as change so maybe you are too fucking stupid to be trusted with your own money.

Well, only a small minority wants major cuts in programs.

Do you think if an honest conservative ran and said "I'm going to cut SS/medicaid by 1/2 so we can balance the budget without raising taxes" he have a prayer to get elected? He get about as many votes as Ron Paul got.

We need the more moderate conservatives of old who understood that Americans want reasonable safety nets, that is just a fact, but it is more important to balance the budget and will raise taxes to accomplish the old style fiscal conservativism.

Plus hold the line against the religious right wing nuts.

A moderate like that you won't find in the Republican party, and you'll find a much closer analogy in the Dems these days.

I think we all need to condense what we quote. Just pick out a sentence or two.

You don't need to quote the entire 7 responses.

That said, I don't think it's a matter of if conservatism is dead.

I think it needs to be defined. Nobody really knows what it is other than Webster's Dictionary.

Put a California and a Georgia Republican in the same room and they will only agree on one thing: "I hate liberals."

Is the Republican Party or conservative ideology dead? It certainly is weak. How can it recover?

It probably depends on who you ask.

May 3, 2009

Lloyd Marcus, Spokesperson
(African-American)

I need you to stand with me and the Our Country Deserves Better Committee if you believe in conservatism, smaller government, greater freedom & liberty and the values that have made America great.

I've been reading a lot lately from the "experts" who say that conservatives need to change who we are and what we believe in, if we want to have a relevant voice in America's future. The argument by these same folks is that the Republican Party also needs to become more like the Democrat Party. To these people Arlen Specter and Jim Jeffords represented the best in American ideals and governance.

I say to those people, "No Way!" I'm sorry, but those who would forsake their own beliefs in exchange for the gratification of electoral victory or media adulation are rather heartless, souless creatures in my book.

I say it's time to stand and fight on our principles, confident in the knowledge that our conservative beliefs and policies offer America a far brighter future than what Barack Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi are dishing out.

Spending by previous presidents until this point in time has been dwarfed by Obama's spending in his first 100 days. And guess what: he's promising to spend lots more!

Our great grand kids will be paying Obama's debt. Various areas of private sector freedom are being infringed upon as Obama boldly goes where government has never trespassed before. My goodness, he fired the CEO of a private company, GM, and nobody cares.

While I am ranting, if one more pundit congratulates me because we have our first black president, I am going to slap them. Well, not physically, but in my brain. In essence, they're saying, “Obama is wrecking our country, but you should be proud Lloyd, because he is black like you.” Lord, help us!

Let me tell you something, as a proud black conservative I've had to endure some of the most hateful and vitriolic denouncements from black liberal leaders and members of the media and political establishment who think I am somehow 'out of line' for loving America, loving freedom, loving our military men and women, loving capitalism and loving God. To them the fact that I am black and a patriotic conservative makes me an "Uncle Tom." To me it makes me a proud American, and I believe people of every race, creed and color shouldn't be ashamed for fighting for the ideals of liberty & freedom put forth by our Founding Fathers.

Through the trials and tribulations of life's experiences you grow a thick skin and a more determined and resolute soul. You learn that the pursuit of what is right and just is motivation enough to keep you fighting, even when the cause seems lost or hopeless, and even when people are calling you names or pronouncing your movement hopelessly irrelevant.

So to those of you who say it's too late, or there's no point, or that the battle for hearts and minds is lost, let me say this: NO WAY! We're not going to give up or let up in our fight when the consequences for us to fail or quit are too great.

And take it from this black conservative, if you're waiting for someone else to provide you with a sense of validation that who you are and what you believe in are right, then you best get used to standing around waiting for an awful long time. The righteousness of your views and the moral convictions that drive you to fight on are already deep within you. Don't look to poll numbers or journalists to tell you that your ideas matter or are popular or important. In fact the opinion-molders and media elite should be the LAST people you look to for validation. And when you see one of our political "leaders" seeking their opinion, realize that they are people who do not believe in our cause, but instead believe only in themselves and their self-aggrandizement. Just ask Arlen Specter.

Please let me leave you with two things to review and consider. First, the words of a member of the Our Country Deserves Better Facebook Group which echo the sentiments about the need to fight on with even greater determination and resolve:

I honestly don't feel despair. Two months ago, yes, complete despair. Not now. In just the seven weeks I've been involved in this movement, I've noticed a lot of victories. The tea party movement is working, and there's no doubt we're going to win. I honestly feel true hope. I know we have to let certain things play out for others to wake up, but when they do, we will all be so organized and ready that we will be able to RESTORE, not remake, this country.

Finally, I leave you with a few videos of songs I have performed as part of my own contributions to the fight for America. People often ask me what can we do to make a difference. Well, each of us has our own talents, skills and gifts. So find out how you can best contribute to this conservative renaissance in America. And look for more information from us here at the Our Country Deserves Better Committee this Tuesday on how we're going to take our country back - beginning with Congress in the upcoming congressional elections.

Our Country Deserves Better PAC :: Welcome

Sheesh. Aren't you a bit late? Perhaps if you had gotten someone about eight years ago to listen to that, we would not be where we are at today. If President Obama gets us out of this without the Second Great Republican Depression, he pretty well has two terms sewed up.

Sheesh. Aren't you a bit late? Perhaps if you had gotten someone about eight years ago to listen to that, we would not be where we are at today. If President Obama gets us out of this without the Second Great Republican Depression, he pretty well has two terms sewed up.

i give this a c- old socks.
you didn't work rushpublican into it.
disappointing :lol::lol:

Forum List

Back