Is the Republican Party Determined to Off Itself?

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Meghan McCain: ‘Arlen, You Let Me Down’ « - Blogs from CNN.com

Earlier this week, conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh suggested that McCain leave the party with Specter. "A lot of people say, 'Well, Specter, take [Sen. John] McCain with you. And his daughter [Meghan]. Take McCain and his daughter with you if you're gonna…" he told listeners Tuesday.

Seriously? Wow. Just...wow.

So, the Republicans want to save themselves by kicking people out of the party. What's wrong with that picture?

so funny when dimwits hear rush say something and then turn around and say all republicans said it...

i guess since joe biden is actually a VP of a democratic whitehouse, then ALL dems agree with joe that you should not get on a plane :lol:

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Meghan McCain: ‘Arlen, You Let Me Down’ « - Blogs from CNN.com

Earlier this week, conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh suggested that McCain leave the party with Specter. "A lot of people say, 'Well, Specter, take [Sen. John] McCain with you. And his daughter [Meghan]. Take McCain and his daughter with you if you're gonna…" he told listeners Tuesday.

Seriously? Wow. Just...wow.

So, the Republicans want to save themselves by kicking people out of the party. What's wrong with that picture?

This is kind of fun.

POPCORN.gif

• Banned
This is kind of fun.

POPCORN.gif

Are you kidding me? It's fucking depressing. This country is based upon a two-party system. It doesn't function well when one of the parties is combusting. We need the conservatives to check/balance the idealistic, overspending tendencies of the Democratic party. And vice versa.

The Republican party spontaneously combusting is NOT a positive outcome, regardless of what a bunch of fuzzy headed treehugging daily kos type leftists might say.

This is kind of fun.

POPCORN.gif

Are you kidding me? It's fucking depressing. This country is based upon a two-party system. It doesn't function well when one of the parties is combusting. We need the conservatives to check/balance the idealistic, overspending tendencies of the Democratic party. And vice versa.

The Republican party spontaneously combusting is NOT a positive outcome, regardless of what a bunch of fuzzy headed treehugging daily kos type leftists might say.
The fun part is watching you guys kick the assholes in the Republican party to the curb.

This is kind of fun.

POPCORN.gif

I agree. The Republican Party used to be America's last line of defense against the Leftist Libtards. No more. Now we have one-party rule with a Community Organizer at the helm. Yippee.

This is kind of fun.

POPCORN.gif

while i agree with you, the reality is the repubs and dems are virtually one party. the conservatives have not checked overspending, they have been part and parcel of the problem. if the republican party needs to take a few losses in order to get back to its roots, great. honestly, what is the alternative?

^lol^ i can't believe that is real, LMAO

we used to buzz the front desk at college and ask for that name and have the guy answering phones yell out the name into the lobby...i'm passing that one on...

we used to buzz the front desk at college and ask for that name and have the guy answering phones yell out the name into the lobby...i'm passing that one on...

Dude, it made me laugh so hard I still have tears running down my face. I had to share it.

See, here is the issue, Yurt. I EXPECT the dems to act like idiots. I have some small tiny fragment of hope left that the Republican party is salvageable. But, daily, that tiny little flame of hope is being put out.

(the best part was my friend Sam, reading over my shoulder..."Mike Litorus. Mike...I don't get it???!!! Why are you fucking laughing so hard???!!!???")

I agree. The Republican Party used to be America's last line of defense against the Leftist Libtards. No more. Now we have one-party rule with a Community Organizer at the helm. Yippee.

AND THEY HAVE DONE IT TO THEMSELVES. God help us all.

Dude, it made me laugh so hard I still have tears running down my face. I had to share it.

See, here is the issue, Yurt. I EXPECT the dems to act like idiots. I have some small tiny fragment of hope left that the Republican party is salvageable. But, daily, that tiny little flame of hope is being put out.

(the best part was my friend Sam, reading over my shoulder..."Mike Litorus. Mike...I don't get it???!!! Why are you fucking laughing so hard???!!!???")

your friend needs to get out more...lol. we used also try mi kok, spell it out to convince them it was real, but mike worked the best

my response to your earlier post which i think might answer this:

while i agree with you, the reality is the repubs and dems are virtually one party. the conservatives have not checked overspending, they have been part and parcel of the problem. if the republican party needs to take a few losses in order to get back to its roots, great. honestly, what is the alternative?

This is kind of fun.

POPCORN.gif

The Republican party has gone from a fiscally conservative, socially moderate institution when I was a Republican and called myself a conservative, to a religious right dominated, intolerant, cut taxes no matter what pro-rich party that is increasingly dominated by hard liners.

Cutting taxes is fine, but if you slash revenues you get deficits. And the Republican party knew if they put up a candidate who said he would gut SS and health care, which is what you have to do to really cut spending in line with the tax cuts they want, they would never ever get elected to office because most folks like social programs like SS and medicare.

So they came up with a ploy -- its leaders sold the silly "supply-side" fantasy that they could cut taxes and magically it wouldn't affect revenues or deficits.

The ploy worked for a while. Reagan took us down that path and the national debt quadrupled in four years. Clinton got us a surplus just long enough for Bush to pander the same BS and added $5 trillion more debt in 8 years.

Now they got a real problem. Their fundamental economic platform, voodoo economics, has been a total disaster for the country. They can no longer get by pandering a free ride and being everything to everybody. That can't criticize Obama for a deficit when their policies do the same thing.

So they have to choose between the really hard core -- those led by the Murdoch outlets who want to gut the social safety nets the nation has had for 75 years, and those who would compromise on things like tax increases.

Same thing on the social side. The Republican party has become increasingly beholden to the fundamentalist element in its camp. They've used wedge issues (gay marriage) for years to deflect the hard right element. But this is not a group that is willing to compromise, on anything.

Putting McCain on the ticket served the hard right interests. After Bush the chances of victory in '08 were slim and none, and really, any president who inhereted the freaking mess the nation is in, particularly a Republican, runs a big risk of taking a hit to fix the problems or if things to improve a lot. Meanwhile, with a moderate taking the loss, the hard right can put on its "I told you so hat" and push the party even more to their agenda.

It's inherently risky to predict the future, much of it depends on whether the economy is recovering in 2012. But my guess is you'll see the Republicans put up a nice smily real hard right candidate like Palin or that guy from Louisiana. And unless the economy is still in the crapper, they'll get crushed a la Barry Goldwater in 1964.

After that, who knows, but either a moderate wing comes back or maybe a new party emerges not so dominated by hard right, uncompromising ideologues.

But who knows?

That's why its fun to watch.

Forum List

Back