Is the public really too stupid to handle metaphor?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
First there was all the leftwingtwat fauxrage over Palin's crosshairs and 'reload' comment.

And now we have similar rightwingtwat fauxrage over Cap's 'sometimes you have to get bloody' comment.

Are people really that stupid that they cannot distinguish metaphors from literal discourse?

It's just sticks to beat each other with. However in light of Obama's call for civil discourse, I found the 'bloody' comment to be particularly hypocritical.

• Banned
It's just sticks to beat each other with. However in light of Obama's call for civil discourse, I found the 'bloody' comment to be particularly hypocritical.

why, just because they are both democrats? :eusa_eh:

That seems like a pretty weak reason to me.

People understand it's hyperbole.

But it's used as a neener-neener kind of thing. Kind of like how, in second grade, if you said "ass" on the playground, some little douche would run to the teacher and tell on you. And while you were getting lectured, that little douche would stand behind the teacher with a smug look of accomplishment on his face.

It's kind of like that.

Only lamer.

And done by "adults".

First there was all the leftwingtwat fauxrage over Palin's crosshairs and 'reload' comment.

And now we have similar rightwingtwat fauxrage over Cap's 'sometimes you have to get bloody' comment.

Are people really that stupid that they cannot distinguish metaphors from literal discourse?
Metaphor fails when rhetoric is cheap, and partisanship is deep.
Then we argue about the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

But what did Cap mean about having to "get bloody" with the context of unions, and their reliance on violence to press their issues? Do I have to be a rightwingtwat to ask the question? Is that statement a threat against the kind of people who might come out in numbers to show solidarity to the governor?

No, they can't. Never have been able to. From loonies blaming Ozzy for some kid's suicide, to Palin's reload comment, the public never wants the people who actually committed an act to take responsibility for it.

Nothing to do with them being Democrats. But certainly to do with their most influential Democrat - Obama - calling for civility in political discourse, and less than two months later, it's seems the Democrats have a huge problem keeping their discourse civil. I dislike hypocrisy. Particularly in light of their pathetic attempts to tie the shooting to right wing 'lunatics'.

So, if we have a mass riot between the right and the left, shall we blame the 'bloody' outcome on the Dems?

It's just our "gotcha" politically correct society of the day.

Political correctness is the death of free speech.

:rolleyes:

We have our first poster (AH) who obviously can't handle metaphor. :thup:

Last edited:

Nothing to do with them being Democrats. But certainly to do with their most influential Democrat - Obama - calling for civility in political discourse, and less than two months later, it's seems the Democrats have a huge problem keeping their discourse civil. I dislike hypocrisy. Particularly in light of their pathetic attempts to tie the shooting to right wing 'lunatics'.

So, if we have a mass riot between the right and the left, shall we blame the 'bloody' outcome on the Dems?

So it's precisely because they're both dems. :rofl:

Sorry, Cap would have had to be the one asking for civil discourse to make his bloody comment hypocritical. That's how hypocrisy works. :thup:

You are just a koch whore!

Sorry, Cap would have had to be the one asking for civil discourse to make his bloody comment hypocritical. That's how hypocrisy works. :thup:

Difference is, I would be saying exactly the same they were both Republicans. I have an issue with this kind of crap from anyone.

On this occasion, after the horrific shooting, it was the left who desperately tried to link it to right wing extremism and some fantasy violent rhetoric. Yet, despite Obama calling for it to cease, they keep doing it.

Difference is, I would be saying exactly the same they were both Republicans. I have an issue with this kind of crap from anyone.

On this occasion, after the horrific shooting, it was the left who desperately tried to link it to right wing extremism and some fantasy violent rhetoric. Yet, despite Obama calling for it to cease, they keep doing it.

That's no difference at all. You are calling something hypocritical that really isn't unless you believe all dems (or all repubs) comprise a single voice. I don't see it that way. I evaluate them individually. And I'm not going to call Cap a hypocrite because he said something contrary to something Obama said.

Me calling one side on their hypocrisy in condemning the language they use is not fauxrage, nor is it indicative of my ability, or inability to handle metaphors.

I read many right wingers trying to paint him as a liberal. ;)

Unions have a storied history of getting bloody.

...usually when corporate bosses and their governmental cronies dropped bombs on them and machine-gunned down men women and children

just sayin...

Last edited:

Look, buddy, you're either on Team Red or Team Blue, got it?

Look, buddy, you're either on Team Red or Team Blue, got it?

That's exactly what Dante says.

Only thing is, he's not being sarcastic. :lol:

That's no difference at all. You are calling something hypocritical that really isn't unless you believe all dems (or all repubs) comprise a single voice. I don't see it that way. I evaluate them individually. And I'm not going to call Cap a hypocrite because he said something contrary to something Obama said.
He did though, from what I read, take people to task for inflammatory language. So he is a hypocrite...but not because Obama called for civility.

Forum List

Back