Is the Pope Entitled to Resign?

Circe

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2013
Aeaea
They never do. Well, one did in 1415, but not because of health: he resigned because there were three popes at the time, and it was felt by many that this was too many and they needed to cut down the number some. This worked poorly, as the other two fought tooth and nail, but hey, he tried.

Kings and popes reign till death, customarily. Even presidents don't usually resign, though Nixon did. Wilson perhaps should have: he had an incapacitating stroke. He had a VP for such cases, but his wife thought she would just run the country, and she kept his condition secret.

This will throw the usual curia backstabbing into high gear, but also it will destabilize the situation --- if any pope may make a surprise announcement at any time like this one did, the usual close watch on pontifical health won't be enough for political maneuvering.

Does anyone care? I'm protestant, so I don't, but it's mildly historically interesting. I don't think it matters much, the Catholic sect is so seriously impaired by gross sexual scandal these days. They are no longer very powerful.

They never do. Well, one did in 1415, but not because of health: he resigned because there were three popes at the time, and it was felt by many that this was too many and they needed to cut down the number some. This worked poorly, as the other two fought tooth and nail, but hey, he tried.

Kings and popes reign till death, customarily. Even presidents don't usually resign, though Nixon did. Wilson perhaps should have: he had an incapacitating stroke. He had a VP for such cases, but his wife thought she would just run the country, and she kept his condition secret.

This will throw the usual curia backstabbing into high gear, but also it will destabilize the situation --- if any pope may make a surprise announcement at any time like this one did, the usual close watch on pontifical health won't be enough for political maneuvering.

Does anyone care? I'm protestant, so I don't, but it's mildly historically interesting. I don't think it matters much, the Catholic sect is so seriously impaired by gross sexual scandal these days. They are no longer very powerful.

There has been speculation that the reasons for resignation are more complex--perhaps Alzheimer's or something as yet undisclosed.

I think the resignation shows the true spirit of the man. Instead of hanging on to the pomp and ceremony that goes with the title, he realizes he is no longer able to perform his duties and wishes to turn the position over to someone who can.

My praise to a humble man who cares upon the billion plus members of his church.

There has been speculation that the reasons for resignation are more complex--perhaps Alzheimer's or something as yet undisclosed.

It would be unusual NOT to have some deficit at 85-86, as in the Pope's case. And yet people may live on some years yet, if they are physically able. That could be a problem if he can't make speeches from the balcony and so on for years.

It would be unusual NOT to have some deficit at 85-86, as in the Pope's case. And yet people may live on some years yet, if they are physically able. That could be a problem if he can't make speeches from the balcony and so on for years.

I think the travel responsibilities were also beyond him.

Entitled to resign?

I think yes. After all, he wasn't born as a Pope, he was appointed the Pope

Besides, would you truly want to be lead by somebody who didn't want to lead?

Entitled to resign?

I think yes. After all, he wasn't born as a Pope, he was appointed the Pope

Besides, would you truly want to be lead by somebody who didn't want to lead?

I don't know much, really nothing, about the Catholic church--but am under the impression that the idea 'ordained by God' is a major tenet.

I think he said he searched his soul and reached this decision. I suppose if anyone can fully understand the policies of the Catholic church it would be the Pope and so the decision was made.

I don't know much, really nothing, about the Catholic church--but am under the impression that the idea 'ordained by God' is a major tenet.

Good point --- that the pope was called or appointed in some sense by God and so he was supposed to stick with it.

That may well be why they have almost never resigned, they normally die in office.

This is quite a radical act, then.

Good point --- that the pope was called or appointed in some sense by God and so he was supposed to stick with it.

That may well be why they have almost never resigned, they normally die in office.

This is quite a radical act, then.

Several times the sequel to the Da Vinci Code, 'Angels and Demons', has been mentioned--fiction of course, but apparently provides some insight into the complex structure of the Catholic church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_&_Demons_(film)

From decades ago--I recall that the Thornbirds which touched on similar topics.

Yes--it is a pretty big deal.

Last edited:
I'm totally disappointed in this.
You just don't quit Popeing...
This was a job till death,didn't anyone "splain" this to the guy.
This sets a terrible precedent.
What happens when the next guy gets in and after 10 years he gets bored or something and he says
I'm outta here....

I'm totally disappointed in this.
You just don't quit Popeing...
This was a job till death,didn't anyone "splain" this to the guy.
This sets a terrible precedent.
What happens when the next guy gets in and after 10 years he gets bored or something and he says
I'm outta here....

"You just don't quit Popeing" is being quoted with delight in my house ---- :D

Forum List

Back