Discussion in 'Military' started by Munin, May 18, 2009.
I voted don't know.
Time will tell.
I think O is making a terrible mistake continuing the occupation in Afghanistan.
Wasting troops in that hellhole can't be a good thing for the military
Not to mention, he still has to finish the job in Iraq -- despite his promise of withdrawal (delayed) within 16 months.
I think that troop withdrawls from Iraq are years overdue, already.
Be that as it may, it's the libs that have told me that "we can't leave the mess we've made". His commitment is to complete withdrawal, with combat troops earlier. How does he plan to do that? He did also say he would listen to the advice of the ground commanders. I presume that's the reason for latest 4-month delay. If that's the case, why make promises that are not sustainable, especially when he, and others, touted himself as "a new kind of politician"?
Interesting question. I've got another one. Am I good for the hammer I'm holding?
You're holding a discus
Honestly, I don't know, but I doubt he'll be good for it.
I'm with Edi....too soon to tell. (Trying with all my might to be objective here).
You've listed what he "plans" on doing. We've hit first contact now and we know that no plan ever survives first contact. So, now what's he really going to do. Unknown. (Even to him I suspect.)
So, what does it look like if something is good for the military? In my opinion, the following are a few things:
1) Reduce the use of the military. (It's better for them to be very strong and lightly used).
2) Renew and refit equipment
3) Widen the technology gap we have over all of our adversaries
4) Air Dominance at any cost. We can do without a lot of other things, but no other country should ever come within a country mile of us in the air. The cost is too high.
5) Smart sea power. I'm not sure that I've heard a theory on what our sea strategy is in a long time. I'd like to hear one soon.
6) Cyber space. We need to redouble our efforts here. Our EWO forces are not near where we need them to be.
Not for long!
Separate names with a comma.