CDZ Is the media making a mistake in it's coverage of the Maryland shooting?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
John Lott makes the point that hyping this shooting as the worst shooting of journalists is a mistake....it is encouraging the next shooter...

The media should be very careful about how they cover shootings of the media - Crime Prevention Research Center

Saying that this is “one of the deadliest attacks on journalists in US history” and then giving extensive coverage of the event, while understandable from the media’s perspective, is a mistake. You don’t want these killers thinking that they will get more notoriety by killing people in the media. It creates an incentive for someone else to break that record and think that they can get even more media coverage.

This isn’t saying that this killer did his attack for media coverage (it seems unlikely, though we simply don’t know enough at this point), but it is a concern about the incentives it creates for future attacks. Of course, this argument really applies to all media coverage of these attacks.

I believe one reason we have so many mass shooting now is because of the 24-7 news coverage. Coverage of the current shooting is essentially advertising for the next one to happen.

John Lott makes the point that hyping this shooting as the worst shooting of journalists is a mistake....it is encouraging the next shooter...

The media should be very careful about how they cover shootings of the media - Crime Prevention Research Center

Saying that this is “one of the deadliest attacks on journalists in US history” and then giving extensive coverage of the event, while understandable from the media’s perspective, is a mistake. You don’t want these killers thinking that they will get more notoriety by killing people in the media. It creates an incentive for someone else to break that record and think that they can get even more media coverage.

This isn’t saying that this killer did his attack for media coverage (it seems unlikely, though we simply don’t know enough at this point), but it is a concern about the incentives it creates for future attacks. Of course, this argument really applies to all media coverage of these attacks.
Well the media was forced to admit one thing. A pump shotgun can do as much damage as a AR in the right hands.

The attack had nothing to do with media or politics. It was a long-running feud over an issue of defamation, an issue the shooter had lost in the courts.

Well the media was forced to admit one thing. A pump shotgun can do as much damage as a AR in the right hands.

Actually they can be worse. A shotgun is a devastating firearm. The media doesn't seem to be pushing more gun control this time. Maybe because Maryland already has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, and the evil AR was not used.

Maybe because they are starting to realize that yet more gun control is not the answer, and only affects the law abiding.

The shooting has nothing to do with Trump so the story will be buried by noon today.
none of the leftist talking points are in this story so it will fall by the wayside

hell even david hogg wasnt at the front desk applying for a paper route at the time

Doesn't fit the far left, progressive narrative of the media. Gun free zone. MD already has an assault weapons ban, and small mag capacity limits, plus a Joe Biden pump shotgun was used.

Doesn't fit the far left, progressive narrative of the media. Gun free zone. MD already has an assault weapons ban, and small mag capacity limits, plus a Joe Biden pump shotgun was used.

indeed as well as being one of the few states that has a "may issue" concealed carry permit system

indeed as well as being one of the few states that has a "may issue" concealed carry permit system
Well, there are actually many states that are May Issue, and effectively will not issue permits to the law abiding. NJ, NY, MD, MA, CT, RI, HI, CA, and others.

Well, there are actually many states that are May Issue, and effectively will not issue permits to the law abiding. NJ, NY, MD, MA, CT, RI, HI, CA, and others.

yes a small handful all liberal states

California
· Connecticut
· Delaware
· Hawaii
· Maryland
· Massachusetts
· New Jersey
· New York
· Rhode Island

Its a thing. You gotta report the news. Every journalist out there is interested in this story. This story IS interesting.

We just gotta remember these journalists are out there covering stories which portray the very dangerous dregs of society in their true light. Every day some journalist is writing about some gang member getting convicted of murder of some kid. Then they write a story about a nut job who beat his wife. Then they write a story exposing the head of the county council's ties with organized crime. Or the President's ties with Russian strongmen. Or something Hillary did. Or something the NSA or Homeland did.

Its takes some guts to be a journalist.

Don't know many people who are getting upset over tabloid types getting shot. There area lot more sympathetic victims out there, and fake news spreaders aren't near the top of the even the c list at this point. They're not real journalists, they're merely Party hacks and promote violence themselves. Nobody gets teary eyed when some gang banger gets killed, so no reason to care about propagandists reaping what they sow either.

And yes, I've have read some of the articles written by the hacks, thank you very much for asking. They couldn't get hired by any media outlet these days if they were real journalists, that's been a fact since the 1980's.

Don't know many people who are getting upset over tabloid types getting shot. There area lot more sympathetic victims out there, and fake news spreaders aren't near the top of the even the c list at this point. They're not real journalists, they're merely Party hacks and promote violence themselves. Nobody gets teary eyed when some gang banger gets killed, so no reason to care about propagandists reaping what they sow either.

And yes, I've have read some of the articles written by the hacks, thank you very much for asking. They couldn't get hired by any media outlet these days if they were real journalists, that's been a fact since the 1980's.

Were the folks who got shot tabloid hacks? Were the articles they ran on the fellow inaccurate? I don't know. It seems like you are familiar with them.

Were the folks who got shot tabloid hacks? Were the articles they ran on the fellow inaccurate? I don't know. It seems like you are familiar with them.

Don't see anything in my post that needs any clarification, it's pretty straightforward, as are all of mine.

Do you just need me to notice you or something?

Don't see anything in my post that needs any clarification, it's pretty straightforward, as are all of mine.

Nah, I just wanted to know what they said and thought you could answer quickly since you used to seem like you were knowledgeable on their background or what they wrote about the nut that was inaccurate. My apologies for offending you asking for more details on why you felt the way you do. Like I said, I never heard of them writers before.

Nah, I just wanted to know what they said and thought you could answer quickly since you used to seem like you were knowledgeable on their background or what they wrote about the nut that was inaccurate. My apologies for offending you asking for more details on why you felt the way you do. Like I said, I never heard of them writers before.

You can find them the same way I did. No problem. I'm not offended, I don't do other's work for them, is all. If they want to discuss a topic, they can do the preliminary research. If they just want to snivel, then they don't need to bother.

Forum List

Back