Is the lottery the new American dream?

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
635870857431125528-lottery.jpg

Imagine becoming vastly wealthy overnight. Being a winner of a multimillion dollar lottery certainly will be a life-changing event for almost every single lottery winner. But what about when the prize is an astronomical sum of $100 million, $200 million or $300 million? Various Powerball and state lotteries have reached vast sums, and lotteries elsewhere have as well.

12 things not to do if you win the lottery

The ginormous Powerball grand prize climbed to a cool $450 million Tuesday after 17 times without a winner.

Yes, that's $50 million more than the $400 million jackpot that Multi-State Lottery Association officials had anticipated when no one won a $334 million prize Saturday. And many people who are feeling lucky have been flocking to convenience stores across the USA to grab their 1-in-292 million chance as the clock ticked down to Wednesday's 10:59 p.m ET drawing.

Huge Powerball jackpot goes up by $50M

Yes, after Saturday's $334 million Powerball prize was unclaimed, the next chance for the almost-nationwide jackpot moves to Wednesday. About $400 million is expected to be handed over should the fates fall in the right way.

With that in mind, here are a lucky-10 questions about Powerball:

How does this prize stack up against previous winning amounts?

As jumbo jackpot nears, what you should know

States where lottery winners could remain anonymous

Currently six states — Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina — allow lottery winners to remain anonymous. And four more — Colorado, Connecticut, Vermont and Massachusetts — allow anonymity if the winners claim their winnings through a trust.

"Lottery winnings, while for many is a major plus in their live, it can be a major negative at times," said state Rep. Ray Franz, R-Onekama. "It costs friendships. It costs family relationships. It costs jobs. I thought it should be an option that's available."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/13/lottery-winners-remain-anonymous/27249895/

I hear the pleasure people get from it is not believing they could win, but just fantasizing about the possibility of it. I'd say that's worth a buck or two!

I play the Massachusetts Megabucks Doubler game by subscription. It is available across the United States, subscriptions can be purchased by phone.

Massachusetts Lottery is the only state lottery that offers a subscription service, which is available across the country.

I like how Massachusetts distributes it's lottery revenue.

unnamed.jpg

Support local communities

In Fiscal Year 2015, the Massachusetts State Lottery returned $985.8 million in net profit to the Commonwealth, of which $945,750,001 million in Direct Local Aid was distribu

Formula for Determining Local Aid

The following formula determines the level of funding each town or city receives. Every town gets a percentage of the entitlement based on the total amount distributed.

Calculate Equalized Value…
Town Equalization Valuation = Equalized Value
Per Capita
Town Population
Calculate Town Entitlement…
Equalized Value
Per Capita × $10.00 × Population
The Town’s Equalized
Valuation Per Capita

About The Lottery | MA State Lottery

Forum List

Back