Is the Judeo-Christian god favoring people based on race racist?

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
I hope that no one gets offended by this question...I'm not trying to troll or make anyone upset. But I'm just trying to understand.

If this god shows favor to Israel based on race, is that racist?

No trolling, flaming, or personal attacks on thread please...hoping for just non-offensive non-personal discussion of the question.

Attempting to anthropomorphize the thinking of God will get you nothing but a headache.

I hope that no one gets offended by this question...I'm not trying to troll or make anyone upset. But I'm just trying to understand.

No trolling, flaming, or personal attacks on thread please...hoping for just non-offensive non-personal discussion of the question.

God chose a nation for a particular task. Even then, we see God calling in people outside that nation to help move things along.

God chose a nation for a particular task. Even then, we see God calling in people outside that nation to help move things along.

Here is Deuteronomy 7:6, New King James Version:

"(6)'For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth."

This says that the Jews are "above" everyone else on earth because of their race. How is that not racist?

"(6)'For you are a holy people to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for Himself, a special treasure above all the peoples on the face of the earth."

This says that the Jews are "above" everyone else on earth because of their race. How is that not racist?
King James isn't known for the most accurate translation. Let's take a look at the New American Bible.

For you are a people sacred to the Lord, your God; he has chosen you from all the nations on the face of the earth to be a people peculiarly his own.

The Jews read this as their nation was chosen for a special purpose. It can be most compared to a family with two children, and one night the parents say to the eldest, "You do the dishes tonight." This is not a statement of favoritism. It's a statement that they want the eldest to take care of a task.

King James isn't known for the most accurate translation. Let's take a look at the New American Bible.

For you are a people sacred to the Lord, your God; he has chosen you from all the nations on the face of the earth to be a people peculiarly his own.

The Jews read this as their nation was chosen for a special purpose. It can be most compared to a family with two children, and one night the parents say to the eldest, "You do the dishes tonight." This is not a statement of favoritism. It's a statement that they want the eldest to take care of a task.
Uh oh!!! Jeremiah

Well here is the New American Standard Bible's translation of Deuteronomy 10:15:

"Yet on your fathers did the Lord set His affection to love them, and He chose their descendants after them, even you above all peoples, as it is this day."

Here we see again the Jews "above" all people because of race...how is that not racist?

Well here is the New American Standard Bible's translation of Deuteronomy 10:15:

"Yet on your fathers did the Lord set His affection to love them, and He chose their descendants after them, even you above all peoples, as it is this day."

Here we see again the Jews "above" all people because of race...how is that not racist?

Once again, the Jews see it as being chosen for a particular task--much like a parent choosing one child to perform a task.

Second, when Jesus pointed out to townspeople of his own time that God often went outside the Jews to appoint someone else to do something for Him (showing the impartiality of God), some of the townspeople wanted to throw him off a cliff.

As I said earlier, most Jews see God's selection of them as for a particular task, not a rejection of other nations/races.

Once again, the Jews see it as being chosen for a particular task--much like a parent choosing one child to perform a task.

Second, when Jesus pointed out to townspeople of his own time that God often went outside the Jews to appoint someone else to do something for Him (showing the impartiality of God), some of the townspeople wanted to throw him off a cliff.

As I said earlier, most Jews see God's selection of them as for a particular task, not a rejection of other nations/races.

And once again you didn't address the issue...I'm not asking about being "chosen." I'm asking about being "above" everyone else because of race.

"(15)Yet on your fathers did the Lord set His affection to love them, and He chose their descendants after them, even you above all peoples, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15

As for Jesus he referred to non-Jews as "dogs" (Mark 7:24-30; Matt. 15:21-28,) reinforcing the Jew being "above" the non-Jew somehow in Judeo-Christianity.

This is clearly racist.

So again not asking about being "chosen" but being "above" everyone else because of race. How is that not racist to say that they are "above" everyone else because of race?

There is no such thing as Judeo christian

Only christers say it Not Jews

The Jewish Press There s No Such Thing as Judeo-Christian Values

Well consider who wrote it. ;)

Wouldn't be racist since Jews come in all colors. But it would be nationalistic. Though 's favoring' is a bit dubious. Jews were chosen to be the nation of priests bound to follow all commandments (over 600 of them) not just 7 as with everyone else.

Meriweather is absolutely correct about the KJV translation. One additional point is that the KJV along with most other Bibles are translated from what is called the Textus Receptus which follows what is known as the Byzantine text-type. It's a very long story and a very complicated and technical one, but anything translated from a Byzantine source is going to sound very similar to other versions from the same source. Other versions are translated from Alexandrian text-type and they will have a very different flavor. There are a couple others as well (western text-type, Caesarean text-type, etc) and they are all slightly different. Think of them as different branches of the same family tree.

Anyhow, the point is that most come from the Byzantine line because that is the line we have the most copies of...by far, in fact. The Alexandrian (which I prefer) represents the very earliest copies we have. That's not to say that the specific verse you quote will be different in each text-type. In some it might be exactly the same. Only to point out that if you quote two versions from the same text-type you should not be surprised that they will say largely the same thing

And once again you didn't address the issue...I'm not asking about being "chosen." I'm asking about being "above" everyone else because of race.

"(15)Yet on your fathers did the Lord set His affection to love them, and He chose their descendants after them, even you above all peoples, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15

As for Jesus he referred to non-Jews as "dogs" (Mark 7:24-30; Matt. 15:21-28,) reinforcing the Jew being "above" the non-Jew somehow in Judeo-Christianity.

This is clearly racist.

So again not asking about being "chosen" but being "above" everyone else because of race. How is that not racist to say that they are "above" everyone else because of race?

Another translation is, "in preference" not "above."

I teach. Sometimes I simply prefer to assign a task to one student rather than another. The student I "prefer" for this task has nothing to do with prejudice towards others. Sometimes it is because that student needs to walk through that task because it will be good for him.

I teach. Sometimes I simply prefer to assign a task to one student rather than another. The student I "prefer" for this task has nothing to do with prejudice towards others. Sometimes it is because that student needs to walk through that task because it will be good for him.

I see...but sorry Ma'am the most respected translations all use the word "above."

"Yet the Lord set his affection on your ancestors and loved them, and he chose you, their descendants, above all the nations—as it is today." Deut. 10:15, NIV
"Only the Lord had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15, KJV
"Only Jehovah had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all peoples, as at this day." Deut. 10:15, American Standard Version
"The Lord delighted only in your fathers, to love them; and He chose their descendants after them, you above all peoples, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15, NKJV
"Yet the Lord had a delight in loving your fathers, and He chose their descendants after them, you above all peoples, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15, Amplified Bible

So, can anyone explain why the Jews are "above" everyone else in Judeo-Christianity, and as Ms. Meriweather did not address Jesus referred to non-Jews as "dogs" (Mark 7:24-30; Matthew 15:21-28,) reinforcing the Jews being "above" everyone else somehow in Judeo-Christianity?

Last edited:

I see...but sorry Ma'am the most respected translations all use the word "above."

"Yet the Lord set his affection on your ancestors and loved them, and he chose you, their descendants, above all the nations—as it is today." Deut. 10:15, NIV
"Only the Lord had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15, KJV
"Only Jehovah had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all peoples, as at this day." Deut. 10:15, American Standard Version
"The Lord delighted only in your fathers, to love them; and He chose their descendants after them, you above all peoples, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15, NKJV
"Yet the Lord had a delight in loving your fathers, and He chose their descendants after them, you above all peoples, as it is this day." Deut. 10:15, Amplified Bible

So, can anyone explain why the Jews are "above" everyone else in Judeo-Christianity, and as Ms. Meriweather did not address Jesus referred to non-Jews as "dogs" (Mark 7:24-30; Matthew 15:21-28,) reinforcing the Jews being "above" everyone else somehow in Judeo-Christianity?

I think Meriweather addressed that. However, again I say consider who wrote it. Of course a Jew is going to say that the Jews are loved by God. What else would you expect him to say? :lol: Every nation thinks their country is preferred by God.

Even so, one of the definitions of 'above' is 'rather than.' Once more, Jews tend to see themselves as a people chosen for a particular purpose.

Jesus was making a comparison. People are fed before dogs; Jesus came for the faithful before others. Once read a commentary on this, where someone saw the entire episode as Jesus having fun with the Apostles. They were so embarrassed that a woman was following after them and making a scene, and they were elbowing Jesus to get him to make the woman go away. Instead, causing them greater embarrassment, he a male speaks to a woman--and a non-Jewish woman at that--engages her in conversation. Just when their faces cannot become any redder, Jesus (with perhaps a twinkle in his eye) reminds the woman that not only is she female (gasp), she's not a Jew (whom the mean portion of the population refers to as dogs). The woman seems to see the humor, because apparently the word she uses to reference dogs translates better as little dogs or puppies.

But the reason the story is included in the Gospel (whether there was actual humor or not) is to make the point that Jesus helped people of faith, no matter what their nationality, no matter what their standing with the Jews.

I think Meriweather addressed that. However, again I say consider who wrote it. Of course a Jew is going to say that the Jews are loved by God. What else would you expect him to say? :lol: Every nation thinks their country is preferred by God.

No she didn't address why Jesus called non-Jews "dogs" reinforcing the Jews being somehow above everyone else in Judeo-Christianity.

She says the KJV is faulty but as one can see the most universally respected translations use the word "above." Lol so I ask again, why are the Jews somehow above everyone else in Judeo-Christianity and is that racist?

EDIT - As the site updated, Meriweather posted the post above (post #18) which I'm now just seeing.

Last edited:

I've also heard Jews claim that of all the people God could have chosen at the time, they were the least. We also have Jesus saying he came for the least, the lost. If we accept God's love for all as fact, then the fact that God loves all can be shown that He pays full attention to the least.

If we fear God may not love some (i.e., maybe 'me') then we have a wonderful reason not to respond to that love.

Forum List

Back