CDZ Is the issue not that the U.S Forefathers didn't see the technology, but didn't imagine the crazies?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by shockedcanadian, Oct 5, 2017.

1. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,814
    The Constitution allows for those kind of changes with amendments. It's probably the only way sane gun laws will ever take effect in this country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,756
    They didn't foresee DRUGS.

Legal, prescribed, psychotropic, mind altering, addictive drugs.

3. Compost

Compost Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,889
    I'm pretty sure killing people was against the law during the time of our Founding Fathers. The problem isn't guns or knives or trucks or planes or new technology. It's a human thing. This thing isn't all that different now than then. The problem still is people harming others while breaking the law. Our Founding Fathers understood that you don't stop people doing crime with guns (or anything else) by taking guns (or anything else) away from the people who are not committing crimes.

We don't need a new amendment. We need to deal with crazy people. Remember when someone could be committed because they were a threat to themselves or others? How about we return to something along those lines? In other words, deal with the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. oldsoul

oldsoul Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    There is a fundamental flaw in most arguments both for, and against "gun control." That flaw is that the founders did not intent for the 2nd to be about hunting, defense from criminals, or anything else short of a deterrent to, and means of effective resistance against, an oppressive government. Look at the way the Native Americans were treated throughout our history until the mid-20th century, and even today to a lesser extend. Imagine if Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Tecumseh, and others had similar tactics, firepower, and manpower as the U.S. government did. I believe that things like the "Trail of Tears", "Wounded Knee" and countless other events would have never happened, had the Natives had similar capacity to defend themselves. Hence, the 2nd amendment.

5. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,028
    Though I think they didn't "imagine the crazies," it's more that the crazies have found succor by dint of not entirely crazy people being more concerned about their own selfish ends than about the general welfare of the citizenry. I'm sure the founders never imagined that happening or even being possible. After all, they were the elite of their day and never expected anyone but genuinely elite individuals -- very well well educated, very well informed, of curious mind, and well traveled -- would ever have any material share of control of the country's political organs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,028
    ^ This ^

7. Fort Fun Indiana

Fort Fun Indiana VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,839
    Ah yes, let's pine for the days of global war. Excuse me while I try to unthink that idiotic meme.

8. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,963

We already have sane gun laws....

1) You can't use a gun to commit a crime....that means any gun, for any crime. Covers all crimes committed with guns.

2) You can't be a felon and buy, own or carry a gun....if you are a felon caught with a gun, you can and will be arrested.

So....which activity do these laws fail to address?