Is the inheritance tax just?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Socrates

If a firefighter makes two million dollars by working overtime for 20 years and a kid born into a wealthy family inherits two million dollars without working a minute, which person's $2 million should be taxed at a higher rate?

Bush: The inherentance shouldn't be taxed at all !! 0%.
We should tax the money earned from labor 25 or 30%.

Kerry: This is silly. It's certainly fair to tax passive income more than income from labor. Hard work should be encouraged. We don't need policies that punish those who work hard, just so we can perpetuate an aristocracy of the wealthy.

Kerry's right.

How do you encourage hard work if you tax them? Are not those who earn wealth entitled to keep what they earn and dispense it as they feel is right?

"How do you encourage hard work if you tax them? Are not those who earn wealth entitled to keep what they earn and dispense it as they feel is right?"

Response:
The question was: Who should be taxed more- a) the firefighter's $2 millon or b) the inherited $2 million?

Avatar, you failed to answer the question. Bush thinks the firefighter should be taxed more. Kerry disagrees. Who do you agree with?

We have to collect some taxes to pay for the military (war on Iraq for example), schools, highways, courts, etc. The question is: Who will pay and how much?

And why on earth should they be taxed any different? Why should one person be penalized more for making more money? Support a flat tax. its the only fair and just thing to do.

Avatar, you still didn't answer the question. I'm wondering if you didn't understand the question or whether you just don't want to answer it because you know Bush is wrong. I'm guessing the latter.

Concerning a flat tax: It is fundamentally unjust because it benefits the rich way too much. This country does a lot for rich people, and it's fair to ask them to do a lot in return.

Originally posted by Socrates
If a firefighter makes two million dollars by working overtime for 20 years and a kid born into a wealthy family inherits two million dollars without working a minute, which person's $2 million should be taxed at a higher rate?

Bush: The inherentance shouldn't be taxed at all !! 0%.
We should tax the money earned from labor 25 or 30%.

Kerry: This is silly. It's certainly fair to tax passive income more than income from labor. Hard work should be encouraged. We don't need policies that punish those who work hard, just so we can perpetuate an aristocracy of the wealthy.

Kerry's right.

Actually, Bush is right. The inheritated money was already taxed when it was made. Why should it be taxed twice?

This is just like that mess with my husbands checks at work back in the 90's. He spent his own money when he traveled and was reimbursed in a check that was taxed. Then someone signed a bill and his reimbursment was then added to his paycheck, which put us in a higher tax bracket and we were taxed more. Why? This was HIS money!!

Originally posted by Hannitized
Actually, Bush is right. The inheritated money was already taxed when it was made. Why should it be taxed twice?

This is just like that mess with my husbands checks at work back in the 90's. He spent his own money when he traveled and was reimbursed in a check that was taxed. Then someone signed a bill and his reimbursment was then added to his paycheck, which put us in a higher tax bracket and we were taxed more. Why? This was HIS money!!

Interesting, two threads on the same topic and Socrates is posting same stuff and getting same answers from different people. :p:

Originally posted by Kathianne
Interesting, two threads on the same topic and Socrates is posting same stuff and getting same answers from different people. :p:

I know, I didn't see the other post until after I posted here, but the other thread says the same thing I've posted, LOL!

I thought that was funny.

Just noticed your signature, very nice!:clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back