Is the GoP shooting itself in the foot?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Coyote, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,322
    Entire article: GOP Congressman Targeted By 'RINO' Hunters : NPR

.....Yet he is now a political target for elimination next election for not toeing the party line - even when the line was wrong?

And...why is that?

Inglis' view of what the Republican Party needs to do:

And what they seem to be doing instead is "purifying" the party with a RINO hunt on those who don't hew strictly to the conservative message.

That will win them indie and moderate votes for sure.

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,310
    The Conservatives will be the death of the once Grand Old Party

They got beat in 2006 and held the line

They got stomped in 2008 and held the line

Now they refuse to budge as their party folds around them

3. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055

I don't see anything in here where the GOP (the party) is doing anything? Now, if he pissed off his constituents....well, that IS how our Democracy works.

4. Coyote

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,322
    They need to get back to their core principles of smaller government and fiscal responsibility. The party lost a number of voters to independents when their party became defined by the religious right. From the sound of it Inglis represents much of where they should be heading.

5. Coyote

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,322

6. nodoginnafight

nodoginnafight No Party Affiliation

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    IMHO - that is one of the true "markers" of the right-wing radical. They seem to value unity above all else. Our original national motto "E Pluribus Unum" means "one from many." I remember listening to an ultra right-wing congressman telling a group of students that the important part there was the "one" because it represents unity and that, he said, is the most important part. He doesn't get it.

Adolf Hitler had unity, Osama Bin Laden (within his organization) has unity, Stalin got unity, what these and every other would-be petty dictator lacks is diversity - the "many" part of our original motto.

If you achieve your "unity" at the expense of diversity - then you have accomplished absolutely nothing worth crowing about.

In the U.S. it is our unity AND diversity that makes us something special.

So the far-right cannot tolerate diversity, they cannot tolerate dissent or individualism of any sort. And they wail and whine about the loss of personal freedom??????

Their ultimate GOAL is the loss of personal freedom and individualism.

7. Coyote

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,322
    The Democrat Party has always been diverse which can be good in that it is inclusive but bad in that it has too many special interests that work against party unity and sometimes that is needed. I've heard that being the Whip of the party is like herding cats. The Republicans have always been much more disciplined with a more defined message (as opposed to the Democrats who are all over the board sometimes) and until the past decade their special interests have had enough in common to work together until the loud and intolerant "Religous Right" started calling the agenda.

I don't think the ultimate goal is loss of personal freedom and individualism or at least I don't think that goal is unique to rightwing radicals - if you take the left to it's extreme end you find the same thing.

8. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124

"We must all hang together, or we most assuredly will all hang separately."

- Benjamin Franklin ​

9. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: The Republican party is a rudderless ship. and there's a mutiny on board! The Right Wing will insist on ideological purity at any expense. The extreme right always eats its own. Look what they did to Romney last year! A Mormon?!?! No way!

And what are they left with? Sarah the airhead! Fear mongers like Beck and demagogues like Limbaugh and no real plan. In 1994 they had the Contract with America. A real plan. And people gravitated toward it. They won back the congress in that year's mid-terms.

Now they offer nothing but "NO!" and the strictest political litmus test since the Cultural Revolution in China.

The Republicans have made their own bed. Let them lay in it.

10. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    It wasn't just the Religious Right. DeLay/Frist/Bush spent and borrowed like sailors on shore leave. Much as I hate to admit it, given the choice between tax and spend, or borrow and spend, I'm taking borrow and spend. I'd rather not spend, but borrowing so you can waste money is just plain wrong headed.