Is the "free stuff" remark fair to Sanders?

Many of us have learned on this forum that to expect right wingers to be "fair and balanced" (love that Fox slogan) is a fool's errand......Nonetheless, is it really fair to simply state that Sanders is offering "free stuff" without any plan as to how to finance the largess .....or is it just partisan bullshit?

Right wingers may strongly disagree with Sanders about a Medicare for all plan regarding health care insurance, but to be fair, he has stated that indeed a tax would be imposed on individuals and families, but the return on the savings (which would basically screw over PRIVATE health insurers) would be substantial. We may think of ourselves as "exceptional", but such HC deliveries have existed in other industrialized countries for decades and to say that we could not do the same is an admission that we may be far from exceptional.

Second, the "free stuff" regarding college tuition has also been addressed by Sanders....Primarily his source of income would be generated from taxing the gambling speculations of Wall Streeters....but more important is Sanders' reasoning that a college degree in the 21st century is the equivalent of a HS diploma and that we have long made high school attendance both mandatory and free.

You may not agree with Sanders....but at least stick to your proper reasons for the disagreement.

In Canada we have more of what your cons would consider "free stuff" I think. We call our policies generating this free stuff "socially responsible". Our debt to GDP ratio is around +/- 55%, yours is +/- 95%. As long as Americans insist on maintaining armed forces strong enough to control the rest of the World, continue policies like allowing your major corporations to stash trillions of dollars in offshore tax havens, let economic benefits gained by your country's increased productivity flow to the very top, etc. then of course to pay for a fairer society the U.S. debt would have to continue to rise. Those are choices that the Oligarch's propaganda machine seems to have convinced the majority of you to make in their favor.
Canada sucks. You are losing your manufacturing to China, your landscape is being destroyed by towering Wind Turbines, and you have only survived by selling products to the USA.

Have you idiots even solved your war with the French speaking part of Canada?

Oh, I almost forgot, so that you respond I must say, "eh".

We're both losing, have almost lost our manufacturing base to lower wage markets overseas. And yes the U.S. is our largest trading partner. Both of these are part of the reason I "poke my nose" into your affairs. We have been dominated by American culture and economics for ever, almost. I could go into the unfairness of the free trade rabbit hole we followed you down and how the assault on our unions followed your lead but I haven't got time right now.
Our wind power initiatives are still comparatively tiny in relation to the nation's size.
I'm a promoter of alternative energy. I consider the development of wind power in Canada more or less at an experimental level. We'll see.
We are a multicultural country, have been since inception. There have been problems, many people in Quebec have resented english dominance of their culture. Right now we're getting along great. Our new Prime Minister is of course from Quebec. Canada loves him, so far.
I have to comment I regret so many Americans feel the same way you do. I think your type of insulated, fuck the rest of the World attitude is not a positive. Do you really want to end up antagonizing all your friends?
Dominated by our culture? Dominated by our economics? Is that why the Queen of England is on your money?

You know how I feel, that some Canadians are ungrateful snobs, blaming the USA for their problems while being protected by the USA, "eh".

Unfairness of free trade? Canada is so damn lucky that we moved so much manufacturing into your country to begin with, it has been a one way street as far as trade goes, we give canada factories to build everything themselves, and we then import all the stuff back into the USA giving you nice economy to live on.

Alternative Energy, you mean the giant non-electricity Wind Turbines that destroy the land the birds and leave a toxic waste pit where ever they are manufactured?

Yes, Armed Forces strong enough to control the rest of the world, like Rwanda, where Canada allowed a million people to be slaughtered, how horrific to think somebody would build a military to stop that, or the spread of communism.

I like the Canadian laws that forbid songs from america to be played too much in one hour on canadian radio, those are great laws. Nothing like protecting that culture.

You might want to look at what Sander's own supporters are hearing. They are talking about free healthcare, free education, free internet, and more redistribution of wealth. It's more of the old steal from the rich and give to the poor. But it never works that way and never will. If Sanders thinks that taxing speculations to pay for a huge education promise will work past one year, he's crazy. People stop doing things when government punishes them for doing it. So, what is the back up plan? Of course it will be to tax everyone at a high rate. And that will keep up until most people give up because they don't like working only to have a bigger and bigger chunk stolen so government can give it to others.

What a "brilliant" conclusion oh my darhling......

So, your erudite rationale estimates that Wall Street will STOP speculating to avoid paying a tax of about $1.00 per speculation....

...and THEN you state...... People stop doing things when government punishes them for doing it........which would then mean that our murder rate is zero.

What a "brilliant" conclusion oh my darhling......

So, your erudite rationale estimates that Wall Street will STOP speculating to avoid paying a tax of about $1.00 per speculation....

...and THEN you state...... People stop doing things when government punishes them for doing it........which would then mean that our murder rate is zero.
Your conclusion of what you read sounds like the rant of someone drinking, your conclusions are ridiculous. I like how you throw that murder rate in there, bravo, brilliant reasoning, beings how most murder goes unsolved, you actually believe all murderers are caught and punished? Of course you don't but to make your statement true, that would have to be the reality of things.

Forum List

Back