is the economy looking good?

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
jobless claims rise. how is that good? I am still out of work.

I can't believe I got denied a part time job at michaels craft store because i'm 'overqualified' and would leave for a better job.

This is insane

The economy is typically slow to increase or decrease in productivity. It may sound hollow, but improvements are happening- you just gotta hang in there! How silly to be denied a job because you are over qualified. You are probably so sick of people offering advice on how to get a job so I'll just say don't be discouraged...you never know when the next door will open:) :)

I feel somewhat better after this afternoon. I'm on my last week of UE benefits and was truly getting discouraged with being 'overqualified' but I got two late phone calls to schedule interviews for next week. They, unfortunately, only pay about half of what I was making at my last job but its better than making nothing. Now I just have to hope they don't have an issue with my hair.

Download "Signs" by Tesla - You'll like it if you haven't heard it already! I believe it's a remake of an original, but I don't recall who it was.

"imagine that, me working for you!"

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I feel somewhat better after this afternoon. I'm on my last week of UE benefits and was truly getting discouraged with being 'overqualified' but I got two late phone calls to schedule interviews for next week. They, unfortunately, only pay about half of what I was making at my last job but its better than making nothing. Now I just have to hope they don't have an issue with my hair.
Good Luck then! Why the heck would anyone have an issue with your hair? Do you live in some hick town???

Originally posted by Moi
Good Luck then! Why the heck would anyone have an issue with your hair? Do you live in some hick town???

Please, I couldn't get a job for more than 8 bucks an hour until I got my haircut. There's always been a prejudice against guys with long hair.

Don't cut it!!

Originally posted by jimnyc
Please, I couldn't get a job for more than 8 bucks an hour until I got my haircut. There's always been a prejudice against guys with long hair.

Don't cut it!!
I don't think there is a prejudice against guys with long hair unless they have an attitude to go with it. I would think that the IT industry was much more lenient than mine (we're strictly suits and hair cuts) towards it. If you are qualified, act politely, dress the part and look kempt, most people don't have a problem with long haired guys.

It all depends on what part of IT someone works in. When I was doing exchange/metaframe admin for Bell Helicopter, they had no issue with my hair whatsoever. When I started doing project management/engineering for verizon, they did everything they could to keep me out of customer sight.

Do you live in some hick town???

does dallas count? :D :D

I'm originally from northern illinois, so I'm a bears/blackhawks fan at heart but I get more flack for downing the cowboys than one would believe possible.

cowboys :suck:

Duane,

Glad to hear that you've got a couple of leads. Good luck! And if they give you flack about the hair, you can always shave it all off - I did! :D

And I'm SO glad that you are a Cowboys hater too! Go Texans!!!

And if they give you flack about the hair, you can always shave it all off - I did!

If I shaved my head I'd be looking for a new place to live, my wife would kick me out on my ears. And I'd have to be making alot more than 15 an hour also. I did set my hair cut range at anything above 75k a year. For that much, I will cut my hair.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
If I shaved my head I'd be looking for a new place to live, my wife would kick me out on my ears. And I'd have to be making alot more than 15 an hour also. I did set my hair cut range at anything above 75k a year. For that much, I will cut my hair.
I should think that you could put it back...do people actually ask you to cut it off??? Come to NY- the land of the free.

hey dk, I can relate to being over qualified bullshit. worked in automotive/ tires for about 22 years. went from sweeping floors to store manager. after a rough go I decided to take a step back and let someone else deal with the crap and I would do what I thought was the easier, twist a wrench and make MORE money than if I was the manager. oopppss, wrong idea. anyway, sorry ya dont like my/janeens cowboys good luck on the job hunt and keep your hair!!!

New Topics

Forum List

Back