Is the Economy Getting Cleaned up?

Aug 7, 2012
Is the economy getting cleaded up? Yes.

On Inauguration Day 2009, the U.S. economy faced three main problems. First, and most pressing, there was a crisis in the financial system, with many of the crucial channels of credit frozen; we were, in effect, suffering the 21st-century version of the bank runs that brought on the Great Depression. Second, the economy was taking a major hit from the collapse of a gigantic housing bubble. Third, consumer spending was being held down by high levels of household debt, much of which had been run up during the Bush-era bubble.

The first of these problems was resolved quite quickly, thanks both to lots of emergency lending by the Federal Reserve and, yes, the much maligned bank bailouts. By late 2009, measures of financial stress were more or less back to normal.

Now, you may have noticed that in telling this story about a disappointing recovery I didn’t mention any of the things that Republicans talked about last week in Tampa, Fla. — the effects of high taxes and regulation, the lack of confidence supposedly created by Mr. Obama’s failure to lavish enough praise on “job creators” (what I call the “Ma, he’s looking at me funny!” theory of our economic problems). Why the omission? Because there’s not a shred of evidence for the G.O.P. theory of what ails our economy, while there’s a lot of hard evidence for the view that a lack of demand, largely because of excessive household debt, is the real problem.

Krugman said Bill Clinton basically got it right. Obama did help the country get through a bad patch with the economy and put us on the road to recovery.

Last edited:

On Inauguration Day 2009, the U.S. economy faced three main problems. First, and most pressing, there was a crisis in the financial system, with many of the crucial channels of credit frozen; we were, in effect, suffering the 21st-century version of the bank runs that brought on the Great Depression. Second, the economy was taking a major hit from the collapse of a gigantic housing bubble. Third, consumer spending was being held down by high levels of household debt, much of which had been run up during the Bush-era bubble.

The first of these problems was resolved quite quickly, thanks both to lots of emergency lending by the Federal Reserve and, yes, the much maligned bank bailouts. By late 2009, measures of financial stress were more or less back to normal.

Now, you may have noticed that in telling this story about a disappointing recovery I didn’t mention any of the things that Republicans talked about last week in Tampa, Fla. — the effects of high taxes and regulation, the lack of confidence supposedly created by Mr. Obama’s failure to lavish enough praise on “job creators” (what I call the “Ma, he’s looking at me funny!” theory of our economic problems). Why the omission? Because there’s not a shred of evidence for the G.O.P. theory of what ails our economy, while there’s a lot of hard evidence for the view that a lack of demand, largely because of excessive household debt, is the real problem.

Krugman said Bill Clinton basically got it right. Obama did help the country get through a bad patch with the economy and put us on the road to recovery.

Krugman is about as wrong as wrong can be, but he has to stick with his brand of economics, or he will be revealed as the fraud that he actually is. Obama did little but tinker with the fixes that the Bush administration put in place before Obama took office. He didn't deal with the pending financial meltdown, since that was already averted. He used it to reward his campaign contributors.

The recession ended in June of 2009, before any of Obama's attempts at stimulus had a chance to take effect. Much of that went to reward more of his campaign contributors, and finance his efforts on green energy.

Krugman has been right about one thing. He defines a recession as a drop in economic activity, and a depression as the economy staying on the bottom beyond the end of the recession. Under his terms, Obama has converted a simple recession into a depression.

Krugman? Isn't he the guy that said he was happy we didn't get a deal to reduce the deficit?

New Topics

Forum List

Back