Is the disastrous GOP Foxconn deal what sunk the Amazon deal?

The whole premise of the thread is a falsehood.

They don’t perform as contracted, no benefit is given. Period.
WI is paying for all sorts of additional infastructure with no benefit so far. These deals always go bad.
And yet the expansion of I-94 had been planned long before Foxconn came along, it just hadn’t progressed until then. They then applied for a received a grant from the feds for $227.4 million for its project already in progress. -
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced Wednesday his state will be using $160 million of federal funding from the USDOT INFRA program to help pay for the 36-mile I-94 interstate project that will support the Foxconn Technology Group's $10 billion LCD manufacturing plant in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin. The remaining grant money will be put towards 50 or more bridge projects in the state.

The $227.4 million INFRA grant is the largest ever received for Wisconsin but is $86 million less than Wisconsin requested last October

DOT Releases $1.5B for 26 Infrastructure Projects
Wisconsin gets $160 million for I-94 upgrade ahead of Foxconn's arrival
Foxconn sends I-94 work into overdrive in Racine County | BizTimes Media Milwaukee

More than $1 billion has been spent on the I-94 north-south corridor since 2009, with most of the money going to adding lanes and rebuilding interchanges in Kenosha and Milwaukee counties. The Racine County portion of the project progressed at a slower pace as resources went to rebuilding the Zoo Interchange.

But the arrival of Foxconn Technology Group in Mount Pleasant means Racine County is now the center of attention when it comes to Department of Transportation projects. Anyone who has driven through the I-94 corridor in Racine County recently has seen the return of the familiar orange barrels, but it might be a few months before the state knows just how long those barrels will be there.

And with the expansion, water would need to also be routed at that time for the area, even if Foxconn wasn’t going in-

Water diversion sought for Foxconn area
Expanding water access has been of longstanding interest to the Village of Mount Pleasant,” stated Claude Lois, Foxconn project director for the Village of Mount Pleasant. “If this application is approved, it will help us better serve current and future residents, workers and visitors to our village.”

From what I could find the water main costs are $8 million.
Memo: Foxconn cost to public nearing $4.5 billion

The breakdown of public costs from the project, according to the memo, is as follows:

• State tax credits, $2.85 billion
  • Local government incentives, $764 million
  • U.S. Interstate 94 North-South project, $408 million
  • Utility costs, $140 million
  • State sales tax exemption, $139 million
  • Road improvements, $134 million
  • Worker training, $20 million
  • Local government grants, $15 million
If they haven’t starting building, then they have gotten any tax credits, the I-94 expansion was already in the works, utilities would come along with the expansion. Worker training for what? And, they ended up receiving a large dot grant to help with the expansion they otherwise would have had to pay for completely.
What local govt incentives have they utilized? As well as sales tax exemptions?
You seem to be in denial. These deals always go bad.

The whole premise of the thread is a falsehood.

They don’t perform as contracted, no benefit is given. Period.
WI is paying for all sorts of additional infastructure with no benefit so far. These deals always go bad.
And yet the expansion of I-94 had been planned long before Foxconn came along, it just hadn’t progressed until then. They then applied for a received a grant from the feds for $227.4 million for its project already in progress. -
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced Wednesday his state will be using $160 million of federal funding from the USDOT INFRA program to help pay for the 36-mile I-94 interstate project that will support the Foxconn Technology Group's $10 billion LCD manufacturing plant in Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin. The remaining grant money will be put towards 50 or more bridge projects in the state.

The $227.4 million INFRA grant is the largest ever received for Wisconsin but is $86 million less than Wisconsin requested last October

DOT Releases $1.5B for 26 Infrastructure Projects
Wisconsin gets $160 million for I-94 upgrade ahead of Foxconn's arrival
Foxconn sends I-94 work into overdrive in Racine County | BizTimes Media Milwaukee

More than $1 billion has been spent on the I-94 north-south corridor since 2009, with most of the money going to adding lanes and rebuilding interchanges in Kenosha and Milwaukee counties. The Racine County portion of the project progressed at a slower pace as resources went to rebuilding the Zoo Interchange.

But the arrival of Foxconn Technology Group in Mount Pleasant means Racine County is now the center of attention when it comes to Department of Transportation projects. Anyone who has driven through the I-94 corridor in Racine County recently has seen the return of the familiar orange barrels, but it might be a few months before the state knows just how long those barrels will be there.

And with the expansion, water would need to also be routed at that time for the area, even if Foxconn wasn’t going in-

Water diversion sought for Foxconn area
Expanding water access has been of longstanding interest to the Village of Mount Pleasant,” stated Claude Lois, Foxconn project director for the Village of Mount Pleasant. “If this application is approved, it will help us better serve current and future residents, workers and visitors to our village.”

From what I could find the water main costs are $8 million.
Memo: Foxconn cost to public nearing $4.5 billion

The breakdown of public costs from the project, according to the memo, is as follows:

• State tax credits, $2.85 billion
  • Local government incentives, $764 million
  • U.S. Interstate 94 North-South project, $408 million
  • Utility costs, $140 million
  • State sales tax exemption, $139 million
  • Road improvements, $134 million
  • Worker training, $20 million
  • Local government grants, $15 million
If they haven’t starting building, then they have gotten any tax credits, the I-94 expansion was already in the works, utilities would come along with the expansion. Worker training for what? And, they ended up receiving a large dot grant to help with the expansion they otherwise would have had to pay for completely.
What local govt incentives have they utilized? As well as sales tax exemptions?
Here's a funny new expense:

Mount Pleasant voted 4-2 Monday night to hire a project director specifically for a potential $10 billion factory Foxconn Technology Group hopes to build.

Claude Lois, originally a candidate for village administrator, will assume the role on a one-year contract with Kappur and Associates. He was previously the mayor of Burlington from 2000 to 2008.

“We are paying the firm he works for 20k per month,” said David DeGroot, the village president. “They deal with the benefits. Expect 50 hour weeks at $100 per hour.”

Several of the trustees expressed that they felt blindsided by the new position coming before the board while the village is still looking to fill it’s village administrator position, which has been vacant for more than a year. The job will pay roughly $20,000 a month and the village will be able to terminate the position without cause with 30 days notice.
Mount Pleasant Hires Project Coordinator For Foxconn Development | Racine County Eye

Huge waste of tax dollars.

And the taxpayers in Mount Pleasant get hit with a higher tax bill:
Assessments up in Mount Pleasant, Sturtevant due to high demand, low supply

RACINE COUNTY — Residential property reassessment notices mailed last week, averaging about 10 percent higher, have raised concerns among some Mount Pleasant and Sturtevant property owners, assessors say.

Mount Pleasant reassessed all residential properties and mailed the resulting notices last Wednesday and Thursday. Sturtevant adjusted assessments for all residential properties except for Majestic Hills and Chickory Creek, which were done in 2017. Notices were mailed Thursday.

The vast majority of Mount Pleasant’s residential properties now have higher assessments, with the average being about 10 percent, said the village’s contracted assessor, Dan McHugh. In some neighborhoods, the increases exceeded that, with condominiums in particular rising about 12 to 14 percent, he said.

Forum List

Back