Is the death penalty wrong?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by TheEnemyWithin, Dec 3, 2004.

?

1. Yes - wrong in all cases

20.0%
  2. Wrong in some cases

18.2%
  3. I support the death penalty

61.8%
  4. I don't support any type of punishment for criminals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheEnemyWithin

TheEnemyWithin Guest

Ratings:
    +0

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    NO!

3. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    No!

4. Patriot

Patriot BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The criminal justice system is so lax. They need to fry a whole lot more to send a clear message that shitting on others either by murdering or raping will not be tolerated. Lesser crimes like identity theft deserve life sentences.

5. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I see it differently. Why not ship all the death row criminals up to Alaska or some other wasteland to populate work camps. They won't get paid. They will live in spartan conditions. No cable TV here. No need to kill 'em and waste a source of cheap labor.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I havealways supported the death penalty overall,but the older I have gotten,I have heard some different opinions on it that made me think on it.

First,when I was in college, I did a paper on it and at that time,7 people had been proven to be innocent after being put to death(I know there are more now). What a nightmare!!!!

Another point I heard was from Glenn Beck the radio talk show host. He doesn't bleive in it because he doesn't feel that God would appreciate us deciding when people leave this world...that's his job. Bill O'Reilly thinks it's far worse punishment too leave a person rot in jail and be miserable...that is if they aren't able to get college educations and watch cable.

I still however believe it is right in a lot of cases,mainly for murder. O.J.,Scott Peterson,anyone that has killed someone.(Of course O.J. will never get it). And a child killer....torture ,than death. I have never understood how Libs can believe in abortion,or even worse,partial birth abortion,but not beleive in the death penalty for hardened criminal murderers.

7. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Who determines what makes a "wasteland"? I'm sure the people that choose to reside in Alaska don't see it as such..

These people had a chance when they were out in society to get jobs, and earn a little money like normal people. They chose a different path. You think giving them jobs is going to change anything? You think they're going to come out "reformed"? Nono...I'm personally tired of footing the bill for them to live, dress, eat, read, smoke, watch TV, etc.

If someone gets life in prison, without chance for parol, nuke'm. Death row sentence? Don't sit on them for 15 years..nuke them within 30 days.

8. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The problem with leaving them in jail for life is then we have to feed them and take care of their medical expenses and put up with all of their bullshit lawsuits about how not having cable tv is cruel and unusual punishment. Then there is the discipline problem. Since they're in for life, what stops them from trying to kill the guards and escape?
    I say there should be a Death Penalty Review Court that reviews the case and ensures that justice was upheld, without any social commentary about the death penalty. If that Court upholds the case, put them to death. No more sitting on death row for 20 years while thirty thousand appeals are made by groups that think the death penalty is wrong.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'm not sure but I'd like to hear what you think about it and why.

10. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I'm for the death penalty as long as it's known without a shadow of a doubt that the person is guilty. There's people that have murdered someone and admitted it, they should get the death penalty, in my opinion. Other than them admitting it, I'd be worried there would still be a chance that they're innocent.