Debate Now Is the Cultural Paradigm Shifting Along with the Demographic Changes?

Discussion in 'Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum' started by EvilEyeFleegle, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Correll

Correll Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,766
    Nope. Conservatives don't roll like that.

WE don't judge people as bad people, just because they don't agree with us politically.

That takes a special kind of smug assholeness, that most of us, just have not developed.

2. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,700
    I hope you're right. I'm not personally seeing it, but I hope you are right.

3. EvilEyeFleegle

EvilEyeFleegle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,080
    Hmm...you seem to be invested in this thing you call 'WE'. In my experience, ones political views and party of affiliation have little to do with how they act as human beings. Some are invested to the point of absurdity..others believe that there are many things more important in their lives.

To drag this back in the vicinity of the topic...culturally, I've heard many, many conservatives speak in the worst terms possible about those who hold differing cultural and political views. I've read posts where you have done so. I know I've done so. The left does so as well..with the added sting of their agenda of shaming the far right. I don't agree with either group..and I think the shaming tactic is both counter-productive and futile.

Is our cultural war a young vs old thing? Is that some of the energy that is driving it? Do not be deceived..the young care about values just as much as the old--just not the same ones sometimes..with the added fillip of the hypocrisy that the young see..whether it exists or not...in the old.

I would suggest that you speak for yourself..and give up this conceit of there being a 'WE' that you can cogently speak for.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  4. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,700
    The changes are subtle or not obvious in many places in America, but they are real, they are happening, and what is tolerated/allowed by us now will affect the culture of our progeny.

Some change is inevitable. The way we travel has largely changed from on foot, horseback, wagon train, stagecoach, rail, sailing ship etc.

Mom and Pop stores, unless they were skillful enough to adapt to retain validity, gave way to the big box stores like Sears, Toys r Us, the super market chains, etc.

And now those, unless they were skillful enough to read what people want and provide it, are giving away to the on line retailers who no doubt in turn will need to adapt to newer innovative ways to do business. As my husband and I are now no longer spring chickens and have some physical limitations to deal with plus do not have unlimited financial resources or family close to help, we greatly appreciate being able to do much of our shopping on line and then having the products delivered to our doorstep.

The wise recognize these trends and adapt to them.

But evenso, universal truths remain. People will always need products and services provided by other people. And most people will always choose liberty over captivity, goodness over evil, prosperity over poverty, and there is a stablility and comfort and security in cherished traditions and sense of community.

We are wise to protect and defend these things as important.

5. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,149
    No. I think you will see that when there is one other race that becomes the Majority.

It never has in the past. If you look at the public art in places that are primarily (if not majority by the numbers) Hispanic or African American...there is a marked difference between those pieces of art and the traditional art pieces in the forms of statuary, architecture, and murals/frescoes. Over time the term "traditional" takes on a new meaning. I am reminded by a passage in a book I read, I believe it was the landmark work on Globalization--The Lexus and the Olive Tree (I highly recommend it). Essentially, a family visits from Asia and lands at SFO or LAX or some other west coast airport. The little girl in the family remarks..."Mom, they have McDonalds here too." She may not know what a McDonalds is but she does recognize the signs.

Yes, of course.

6. Wuwei

Wuwei Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,329
    I think we pretty much agree with these changes, but they didn't come about because of the question posed in the OP,
    "Is the Cultural Paradigm Shifting Along with the Demographic Changes?"

The largest cultural influences are not demographic but are, as I said in an earlier post,
    Facebook, Twitter, and other social media,
    Automation and a changing job paradigm,
    Corporate consolidation,
    Easy information access,
    The loss of retail outlets to on-line purchasing.
    A higher influence of corporations on life.

Most of those changes are inevitable, but not demographically induced. I also agree with your list of universal truths that should remain, except that the sense of community is being torn by a growing bipolar liberal-conservative chasm. I think those ideology differences above all things is destroying the cultural paradigm more than anything else. Both sides of the chasm are responsible.

7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,700
    Yes, a fuzzy but persistent and pervasive extremism--mostly from the Left but the Right cannot fully escape that characterization either--has so changed American culture that we are in serious danger of losing it altogether.

8. Wuwei

Wuwei Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,329
    That is where I would take issue. The Left see the extremism as mostly from the Right. But it is no wonder it is seen differently, because as I said there is a cultural chasm.

One problem is the various media programs are bipolar. Confirmation bias abounds. At this point I see no way out of the extremism.

I posted this on another thread.
    I hope I'm not straying too far from the OP topic.

9. TroglocratsRdumb

TroglocratsRdumb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,647
    The Demographic Change will happen inside of the Democratic Party first.
    The old corrupt racist demagogues such as Hillary, Pelosi, Schumer and Warren in the Democratic Party are going to be replaced by young dumb left wing racist like Alexandria Cortez,
    The glue that holds the Democratic Party's coalition together is made of hate.
    The Democrats make politics about race because they are racist.
    If you want to see the future of America take a look at the countries where the "new demographics" are comming from.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,700
    The right however does not control the unions, including the national teachers' union, is mostly unwelcome in academics theses days, is mostly unwelcome in most scientific institutions, is mostly unwelcome in the entertainment industry, does not control ANY of the major social media entities, and is poorly represented among the mainstream media. That gives the angry, vindictive (i.e. extremist) left a much MUCH larger forum and MUCH more power to distribute that anger and vindictiveness than what the more extremist right has access to.

That the right is seen as having any voice at all is pretty remarkable but because so many respond to the values and agenda of the right, that also speaks to its importance in the American culture.

That the Left fails to see, understand, or appreciate that has been affecting results at the ballot box, at least until now. We'll see how it goes in November.

But it definitely has had a negative effect on our culture.