Is the costs too high?

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
I know dollars never equal lives, however, I have began to wonder over the costs of this war on terror. Is it too much? When is enough dollars enough? Do we spend forever in the hope that it might save lives?

$50 bln more asked for Iraq, Afghan, terror wars

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate Armed Services Committee has recommended a further $50 billion be set aside to fund U.S. military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and the U.S.-declared global war on terrorism.

Is this fiscally responsible?

link

I believe that as long as it doesnt become obsessive, that it is ok to spend money in large quantities to make the world a safer place. The money is there to be spent, so there's no harm in spending it, as long as it is resonable, which it is. It is irresponsible of the UN to not support or fund the War on Terrorism, leaving the US and a few selected allies to spend money and support itself in making the world less of a terrorist haven. Doesnt seem right to me, then on top of that America is the wipping boy for every little mishap. Pisses me off...

Yurt said:
I know dollars never equal lives, however, I have began to wonder over the costs of this war on terror. Is it too much? When is enough dollars enough? Do we spend forever in the hope that it might save lives?

Is this fiscally responsible?

link

The cost of having done nothing after 9-11 far exceeds any cost of our efforts in Afganistan or Iraq, both in lives and money. When the towers fell, we lost more than 3,000 civilians, and lost more than 10 Billion in real property, and at least ten times that (100 Billion) due to the closure of Wall Street, the Airlines, and the aftershocks this catastrophic event had on the economy.

We cannot affort another 9-11. When you say the 'cost' of this war is an issue, you must also weigh this against the likelihood that the cost of doing nothing would far exceed the tens of Billions and thousands of lives we may very well spend on this war against Islamic extremists. But these are lives and money spend on OUR terms, not theirs. It should be crystal clear by now the extremists will bring this battle to our own soil, if we let them. And THAT is something we CANNOT afford to let happen.

And since we made the right decision (IMHO) by invested a real national effort in bringing about a permanent solution to the ever building potency of radical, state organized terrorism in the Middle East by invading, the cost of doing nothing from now on is far more than having done nothing in the first place. In other words, if we pull out now, we're really in for trouble later on down the road.

Forum List

Back