Is the burning of Notre Dame symbolic?

Even though Notre Dame (or other Catholic churches) doesn't actually represent Christianity.

Heartily disagree.

It doesn't represent true Christianity, is what I was saying. There's a ton that could be said about that, but it's controversial and could be a thread topic in and of itself.

"True" Christianity would have been wiped out centuries ago if not for the catholic church's willingness to do battle with it's enemies unlike the ineffectual "turn the other cheek" strain

Even though Notre Dame (or other Catholic churches) doesn't actually represent Christianity.

Heartily disagree.

It doesn't represent true Christianity, is what I was saying. There's a ton that could be said about that, but it's controversial and could be a thread topic in and of itself.

"True" Christianity would have been wiped out centuries ago if not for the catholic church's willingness to do battle with it's enemies unlike the ineffectual "turn the other cheek" strain

True Christianity will never be and could never be wiped out, so I hope you don't actually believe what you said... because that doesn't show much faith in God. I'm not going to get into a debate on the Catholic church here and now (maybe on another thread) so we will have to agree to (strongly) disagree.

Heartily disagree.

True Christianity will never be and could never be wiped out, so I hope you don't actually believe what you said... because that doesn't show much faith in God. I'm not going to get into a debate on the Catholic church here and now (maybe on another thread) so we will have to agree to (strongly) disagree.

this is a dead-end topic anyway so might as well salvage it

Heartily disagree.

this is a dead-end topic anyway so might as well salvage it

Well, I have to get going here soon, so I don't have much time at the moment. But as someone who was raised Catholic and was a nonbeliever for many years due to the hypocrisy I saw and all the empty religious mumbo jumbo, and years later became a born again Christian, I wouldn't even know where to begin. In my view the Catholic church has always been a mixture of paganism and Christianity, (which you absolutely cannot do) and there are numerous doctrines that are in direct contradiction to the bible. For many centuries there has been bad "fruit" and to this day there is bad fruit (the pedophila, etc) and the reason for that is because as Jesus said, you can't get good fruit from a bad tree. (Matthew 7:17–18)

I don't want to offend people here, because I know there are many good sincere people within the Catholic church. So I'm talking about the teachings and the leaders, not everyone in the church.

So no passover( the equator) or Sunday SUN (son) rise service for you eh ? Cool.
I think it's great so many get a day off to all focus on God. But they picket the wrong day. Why not Feb 29 every 4 years

Notre Dame and the Death of Europe - CultureWatch

It seems to me that watching Christianity die in Europe makes Notre Dame going up in flames rather symbolic.

Do they really want to rebuilt her? Why? Is it just the historic significance and world wide fame of the structure that is what they want to preserve, or is it Christianity?

My guess it is the former, not the later.

We all know who started that particular fire. That being said, one could argue the French Revolution and subsequent Laïcité policies as earlier symbols of what you suggest. The French have been fighting amongst themselves for centuries to destroy French Christianity. So what's different about the here and now? In the here and now Western "Christian" political leaders have knelt down to kiss Muslim ass and deem Allah greater than the religion of their ancestors.

We don't know anything for sure and we never will. If the usual suspects are behind it, the french authorities would make damn sure the truth never sees the light of day. Doesn't really do any good to speculate.

Speculation is fun and it acts as a rapid weight loss agent. We can cover our eyes like one of them three there monkey statues or we can look to the people who mass celebrated the desecration by fire of an eight century old global symbol of Christianity.

Muslims are a handy scapegoat but it's just as likely to have been perpetrated by some euro-trash vigilante lashing out against the church because of the priest abuse scandal. There's been a ton of church vandalism in the last couple of years. I'd like to see what demographic the perpetrators tend to be then we would have an more solid foundation for suspicion.
Actually French icons often burn due to the most prosaic reasons. See their ocean liners....

The what?

In 50 years time it will be common knowledge that the al noort mosque has been on that spot since time immemorial .

Economist-2017-front-cover-Doom.jpg

Notre Dame and the Death of Europe - CultureWatch

It seems to me that watching Christianity die in Europe makes Notre Dame going up in flames rather symbolic.

Do they really want to rebuilt her? Why? Is it just the historic significance and world wide fame of the structure that is what they want to preserve, or is it Christianity?

My guess it is the former, not the later.

I don’t know. The fact that the French were praying seems significant to me. The Church I belong to just built and dedicated a temple in Rome. I’m not sure if Christianity is dying completely. This may be motivation for a rebirth who knows

It means whatever you want it to mean, even if that's nothing at all.

The state of western civilization? Yep

The waning of Christianity? Yep

Catholic church disgrace? Yep

You could even put a positive spin on it if you try hard enough.

Well for many who hate Christianity and the Catholic church and Western Civilization this is Nirvana.

You just can't get any more positive.
The Catholic cult has nothing to do with Christianity. May as well be Scientology part one.

If that is true, where does that place Protestants? How do you reform a non Christian church into a Christian one?

Forum List

Back