Is the Bryce Harper Contract a Good Bet?

You know what’s REALLY crazy? When Harper’s 13 year contract ends the Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla.

Max Scherzer did the same thing with the Nats AFTER he'd agreed to a deal with Detroit. Mike Ilitch went berserk and told him to kiss his ass goodbye....the Nats spread his salary out over ten years if I remember right.

The way Harper shopped himself around after turning down the second best offer he got....from the Nationals who raised him from a pup, I believe he's mercenary enough to say fuck it....I got guaranteed money, why should I dive for that ball, or not get the "flu" instead of facing a tough lefty that day? Miguel Cabrera signed for HUGE money in Detroit and still shows up early and has to be dragged out of the batting cage years later. Depends on the player....do they seek greatness and a HOF legacy or the money? Somebody once asked Joe Dimaggio why he played so hard every game and he said: "there may be a kid in the stands who's never seen me play....I won't let him down."
From my understanding his wife was involved in the fact that they wanted their children to be raised in one area and not moving around. Harper likes California but will save tens of millions in taxes compared to the Philly region which is not exactly low itself in that regard.

By signing with Philadelphia instead of the Dodgers he will save $30 million in state taxes.

He's a good player who has had exactly two excellent seasons. AllStar team selections are meaningless these days, so that proves nothing.

What can the Phillies reasonably expect in the coming years?

Not to be unkind, but he is not the hitter that Albert Puhols was at that age. He will average .270, 25 HR & 75 RBI over the ive of this deal. His athleticism is good but not great. What are the chances he will finish this contract, injury-wise?

I'm just not seeing it. Like an auction where some rich bastard forgets himself and bids crazy.

Yeah I'm underwhelmed, much ado about little IMO. I think the Segura and McCutcheon trades will pay off more, and purty clever to fill in a Manny Machado what-if with Segura and a Harper what-if with Cutch.

Sure Harper can hit, sometimes, when he's not in a cold spell which is often, but how many of those runs is he going to give back when he puts the glove on. I would have been happy for them to walk away. Not really concerned about injuries; he doesn't have that history. But yes it is expecting a lot.

He's a good player who has had exactly two excellent seasons. AllStar team selections are meaningless these days, so that proves nothing.

What can the Phillies reasonably expect in the coming years?

Not to be unkind, but he is not the hitter that Albert Puhols was at that age. He will average .270, 25 HR & 75 RBI over the ive of this deal. His athleticism is good but not great. What are the chances he will finish this contract, injury-wise?

I'm just not seeing it. Like an auction where some rich bastard forgets himself and bids crazy.

It is a contract that will make the Jason Heyward contract look better.

1. Harper is really not that good in the field.

2. As you pointed out he had two seasons that were good but he has been just average in his career.

3. Clubhouse cancer in my opinion and will not help elevate the Phillies to the next level...

I say three seasons from now the Phillies will be regretting this contract.

Very few free agents are worth the money

You are paying for past performance and hoping it will repeat in the future

I believe Machado will repeat but Harper not so likely. Harper has disaster written all over it.

I remember Mad Dog Maddux went from the Cubs to the Braves and his career went onto a HOF career but very few to compared to the many that fall flat.

Harper contract is just a mistake and will cost the Phillies and never allow them to grab the championship while he is on the team.

Not as bad as the Twins overpaying Joe Mauer, but still pretty shaky....IMO.

This is an awful deal for the Phillies. Harper is not worth anywhere close to this amount. He’s going to spend a lot of time on the DL.

Great deal for Bryce Harper, just over 25 million a year for 13 years. Philly is stuck with Harper no matter what and I am not seeing 10 plus year contracts working out for the team.

Harper is the most hyped baseball player in history. I remember hearing about him when he was 15. IMO he has the ugliest left handed swing ever and will not be a consistent 300 hitter. Ticket prices will go up and Philly's ability to pursue top talent will be impacted. That's a lot of eggs to put in the Harper basket, I think it was a dumb deal.

You know what’s REALLY crazy? When Harper’s 13 year contract ends the Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla.

No doubt he will be a solid player and will improve the team, marginally. Will he put people in the seats? For one season, possibly, then, when the team falters that effect is gone.

The question is, does the team have infinite resources.What will they have to give up in future years because of this financial burden?

I don't see it.

Bryce Harper is a $10 million ball player who has had one $30 million year and one $20 million season

Phillies can expect some stretches where he is the best in the game, other stretches where he is a very good player and about a third of every season where he is injured

It is a contract that will make the Jason Heyward contract look better.

1. Harper is really not that good in the field.

2. As you pointed out he had two seasons that were good but he has been just average in his career.

3. Clubhouse cancer in my opinion and will not help elevate the Phillies to the next level...

I say three seasons from now the Phillies will be regretting this contract.

258760722_10166126854625492_3227860043086631041_n.jpg

250155313_10166053230490492_5114797544738054318_n.jpg

255502312_10166095631760492_1148823936013863348_n.jpg

256412480_10166102675700492_7520912894242236444_n.jpg

When Bryce Harper signed in this, area people called him the most overrated player in baseball and stated Juan Soto was better that hasn't aged well, lol! Congrats!

And come on, Bruce! Bryce Harper is exceptional in the field! You can't be a gold glove finalist in 2019 and be a terrible outfielder! The man is five-tooled!

73028100_10162704087515492_963615800218877952_n.jpg

The Padres Fernando Tatis Jr got robbed

HR
Harper 35
Tatis 42

RBI
Harper 84
Tatis 97

BA
Harper .309
Tatis .282

Slugging
Harper .615
Tatis .611

WAR
Harper 5.9
Tatis 6.6

Considering Tatis is putting up those numbers as a SS, it shouldn’t be close

HR
Harper 35
Tatis 42

RBI
Harper 84
Tatis 97

BA
Harper .309
Tatis .282

Slugging
Harper .615
Tatis .611

WAR
Harper 5.9
Tatis 6.6

255926972_319546416551627_1815574623811878263_n.jpg
252348516_309260497580219_3030327103963657836_n (1).jpg

Well, Bryce Harper put Philly on his back! Nearly got us in the playoffs and had a historic season! No doubt Tatis jr is a great player! But he never impacted the padres the way Harper influenced the Phillies lineup! , And Bryce could one day be the home run king!

JohnReese Since he went to the Phillies in 2019, they have missed the playoffs all three years. They overspent to get Harper which IMO did not leave them enough money to acquire other quality players.
Some teams have a lot of money from local broadcasting contracts and local product endorsements. That is what makes them more potentially competitive. The Phillies are one of them. They have spent money but have not made the playoffs for a decade.

JohnReese Since he went to the Phillies in 2019, they have missed the playoffs all three years. They overspent to get Harper which IMO did not leave them enough money to acquire other quality players.
He doesn't have a high AAV! He hasn't stopped us from getting Zack Wheeler or re-signing J.T., And it's an open secret we are going after Michael Conforto! And every big-time free agent! We are close to being contenders again! In 20, years kids will be playing in the Bryce Harper League!

JohnReese Maybe. I would say that his 10 year playoff track record is pretty woeful for a player of his caliber. And remember the Nationals won the World Series in the first year after they traded Harper. He's a top tier player no doubt, but the question is could the Phillies have built a strong playoff team spending the money building their pitching staff and bullpen instead of getting Harper.

HR
Harper 35
Tatis 42

RBI
Harper 84
Tatis 97

BA
Harper .309
Tatis .282

Slugging
Harper .615
Tatis .611

WAR
Harper 5.9
Tatis 6.6

Fernando Tatis Sr has the only unbreakable record in Baseball
More so than DiMaggio’s hitting streak, Ryans 7 No Hitters or Pete Rose hits
He hit TWO Grand Slams in an inning
Can never be broken

JohnReese Maybe. I would say that his 10 year playoff track record is pretty woeful for a player of his caliber. And remember the Nationals won the World Series in the first year after they traded Harper. He's a top tier player no doubt, but the question is could the Phillies have built a strong playoff team spending the money building their pitching staff and bullpen instead of getting Harper.

The Bryce Harper contract has been more successful! Then the Manny Machado deal or Mike Trout's record deal! I'm grateful Bryce signed down here! He was worth every penny the best Phillies free agent signing since Pete Rose! Our bullpen will have improved by spring! The NL East is the best division in baseball! Ryan Howard and company made it look easy from 2007-2011! But the 2022 Phillies will run away with the division John Middleton has lots of money! And he wants to win another championship! All we need is a good start! And to be consistent all year! Long we can't win ten in a row and drop five to the braves. That's unacceptable! Twenty-nine GMs will regret passing on Bryce when his contract ends if they don't already!

Fernando Tatis Sr has the only unbreakable record in Baseball
More so than DiMaggio’s hitting streak, Ryans 7 No Hitters or Pete Rose hits
He hit TWO Grand Slams in an inning
Can never be broken

I have to disagree with you. The way people get walked today, nobody will put numbers like Pete Rose!

I have to disagree with you. The way people get walked today, nobody will put numbers like Pete Rose!

Hits are a longevity record. What if players can play into their 50s?
You think anyone will hit THREE Grand Slams in an inning?

JohnReese Time will tell. Like I said there is no doubting Harper's ability but the proof will be in the "playoff pudding" so to speak. He's been in the MLB for 10 years and his playoff record is very poor but that would be wiped away with a World Series win, wouldn't it? Good luck, my team is the Diamondbacks. Dbacks management is great at trading away players who become All-Stars and Cy Young winners.

JohnReese Time will tell. Like I said there is no doubting Harper's ability but the proof will be in the "playoff pudding" so to speak. He's been in the MLB for 10 years and his playoff record is very poor but that would be wiped away with a World Series win, wouldn't it? Good luck, my team is the Diamondbacks. Dbacks management is great at trading away players who become All-Stars and Cy Young winners.

The Nl East is the best division in baseball! All the Phillies need is to get hot at the right time! The Mets signed all these players. We have Nola, Wheeler, Gibson, Ranger, Eflin! We need to sign both Kris Bryant to play center and Kyle Schwarber to play left and get a few more bullpen arms! The d backs have one thing we don't curt schilling won a ring in Arizona!

255068875_3173444199566710_6237761982092295007_n.jpg

Forum List

Back