Is the Bible for reading only or to keep God's statutes and judgments and to do them?

MissileMan said:
If God is perfect, and His word is perfect, why the need for a revision? He didn't get it perfect the first time?

Silly question. It was a covenant. God didnt break His end, the Jews broke theirs, so God gave them another covenant to agree to. It was not a "revision", it was a SECOND chance.

MissileMan said:
You mean they didn't have to refrain from eating pork in order to be pure enough to enter the temple. Got it.

There are more differences between the old and new testaments than just eating pork. The move from eye-for-an-eye to turn-the-other-cheek for instance. If something is "perfect" as in eye-for-an-eye, why would it need to be changed?

And since you brought it up, and since I saw it asked, but not answered in another thread, I have a question about the "truly pure sacrifice". If Jesus was God, and immortal, and he was aware of it, (he must have been because he claimed it openly) how was it a great sacrifice to be put to death when he knew he wasn't really going to die? Sacrifice entails a loss. Jesus lost nothing, assuming Christians are right and atheists are wrong.

You arent really looking for an answer.

But, the OT were laws given to the nation. Jesus spoke on a personal level. If you dont understand it, its cuz you dont want to. Your questions arent honest, now, be honest with yourself, are they?

Hobbit said:
Let's see, there's the, uh, PAIN, both the physical and the spiritual when he was ripped away from his connection with God ("Father, why have you forsaken me?"). I mean, would you endure several hours of mind-numbing torture for the heck of it just because you knew you'd be fine when it was over?

Just for giggles, probably not. To benefit the masses, say in order to end a war, definitely. For $50 million, if I knew with no doubt that I'd walk away unscathed afterwards, probably yes. But when I walked away afterwards, with the cash, I would hardly expect anyone to claim I made some great sacrifice.

LuvRPgrl said:
You arent really looking for an answer.
Oh, you got me there! Yep, sometimes I ask questions to see what kind of answers I get, not necessarily for a specific answer.

LuvRPgrl said:
But, the OT were laws given to the nation. Jesus spoke on a personal level. If you dont understand it, its cuz you dont want to. Your questions arent honest, now, be honest with yourself, are they?

They're not dishonest questions, but I'm getting lots of answers that don't really answer the question.

MissileMan said:
You mean they didn't have to refrain from eating pork in order to be pure enough to enter the temple. Got it.

There are more differences between the old and new testaments than just eating pork. The move from eye-for-an-eye to turn-the-other-cheek for instance. If something is "perfect" as in eye-for-an-eye, why would it need to be changed?

The only place in the Bible where eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth was stated was in Matthew, the New Testament. This was not a part of the Old Testament. In fact, it is likely he was speaking of Hammurabi's law.

In Exodus it gets close. However it is stating a different concept entirely. If you took a man's hand you must become that hand, not that your hand was removed. If you took his eye, etc you would end up a servant to replace the loss unless you were rich you could then buy your way out of servitude by paying a specified price.

Matthew 5:38

"You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth"

Here is the context:
http://bible.crosswalk.com/OnlineSt...section=0&version=csb&new=1&oq=eye+for+an+eye

39 But I tell you, don't resist an evildoer. On the contrary, if anyone slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 As for the one who wants to sue you and take away your shirt, let him have your coat as well.

And since you brought it up, and since I saw it asked, but not answered in another thread, I have a question about the "truly pure sacrifice". If Jesus was God, and immortal, and he was aware of it, (he must have been because he claimed it openly) how was it a great sacrifice to be put to death when he knew he wasn't really going to die? Sacrifice entails a loss. Jesus lost nothing, assuming Christians are right and atheists are wrong.

This is actually one of the things that I was talking of earlier when I spoke of things that are much more illogical and difficult to explain, The Sacrifice.

However, in the purely Christian context (if I were I Christian I might explain it thusly) there are explanations in the text. Christ was fully Man while here in the flesh, afraid to die. "Take this cross from me!"

But mostly the sacrifice was God's as he denied his son as he took on all the sins of men. "Oh Lord, Why has thou forsaken me?!"

The blameless took our blame, even through fear of physical death and then was denied and forsaken by his Father. Much like a human who believes in Christ believes that they will live forever yet still believes it a sacrifice to give this life so another may live. Imagine, once done, those that love you turn from you...

MissileMan said:
Oh, you got me there! Yep, sometimes I ask questions to see what kind of answers I get, not necessarily for a specific answer.

They're not dishonest questions, but I'm getting lots of answers that don't really answer the question.
But they do answer the questions, just not how you want them to be answered.

Im building a house, every person who sees it ultimately asks why I didnt do this, or do that differently. There are many ways to do some things, and some things we done in ways they can never understand, due to complexities beyond their understandings of some things, or their lack of knowledge of the background of the house or my life.

Maybe you just cant understand cuz you dont want to. The guys who worked on the house and argued with me the most about "how" it should be done were always the biggest losers in the end.

no1tovote4 said:
39 But I tell you, don't resist an evildoer. On the contrary, if anyone slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 As for the one who wants to sue you and take away your shirt, let him have your coat as well.

How do I combine this with the following verses?
Punishment of adultry:

43 Then said I unto her that was old in adulteries, Will they now commit whoredoms with her, and she with them?
44 Yet they went in unto her, as they go in unto a woman that playeth the harlot: so went they in unto Aholah and unto Aholibah, the lewd women.
45 And the righteous men, they shall judge them after the manner of adulteresses, and after the manner of women that shed blood; because they are adulteresses, and blood is in their hands.
46 For thus saith the Lord GOD; I will bring up a company upon them, and will give them to be removed and spoiled.

But what is the sin of the children?
47 And the company shall stone them with stones, and dispatch them with their swords; they shall slay their sons and their daughters, and burn up their houses with fire.
48 Thus will I cause lewdness to cease out of the land, that all women may be taught not to do after your lewdness.
49 And they shall recompense your lewdness upon you, and ye shall bear the sins of your idols: and ye shall know that I am the Lord GOD.

More punishment:22
Therefore, O Aholibah, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy mind is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side;
25 And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire.

Again:Is the Bible for reading only or to keep God's statutes and judgments and to do them?

Thank you

Powerman said:
So if God specifically instructed the Jewish people to live a certain way and follow certain laws, what kind of tortured logic would lead you to believe that God didn't want you to also follow those same rules? If God told the Jewish people not to eat pork then I don't see why he would want Christians to eat it. It's the same God is it not?

You're totally ignorant of christianity, aren't you? We're under a new covenant, asshat.

Confident said:
Punishment of adultry:

43 Then said I unto her that was old in adulteries, Will they now commit whoredoms with her, and she with them?
44 Yet they went in unto her, as they go in unto a woman that playeth the harlot: so went they in unto Aholah and unto Aholibah, the lewd women.
45 And the righteous men, they shall judge them after the manner of adulteresses, and after the manner of women that shed blood; because they are adulteresses, and blood is in their hands.
46 For thus saith the Lord GOD; I will bring up a company upon them, and will give them to be removed and spoiled.

47 And the company shall stone them with stones, and dispatch them with their swords; they shall slay their sons and their daughters, and burn up their houses with fire.
48 Thus will I cause lewdness to cease out of the land, that all women may be taught not to do after your lewdness.
49 And they shall recompense your lewdness upon you, and ye shall bear the sins of your idols: and ye shall know that I am the Lord GOD.

Therefore, O Aholibah, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy mind is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side;
25 And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire.

Again:Is the Bible for reading only or to keep God's statutes and judgments and to do them?

Thank you

You dont. You arent being honest. You arent looking for sincere answers. If the honest answer is given, you still attack the Bible.

It is a book with tens of thousands of words and thousands of passages, of course if one LOOKS for contradictions, you can manufacture them. You seek to manufacture them because you read the Bible with pre conceived ideas.

You are a liar and a bigot. Its a waste of time reading your posts or answering them, which is why I dont bother reading your posts or answering your questions about the Bible.

The Bible is the inspired word of God. Your Koran was written by a pedophile, its a piece of garbage. If I had one, I would rub pork chops on it.

Confident said:
Punishment of adultry:

Thank you

LOL. This is Ezekiel 23, all of your verses came from there. It is innuendo in prophecy that you attempt to apply directly to law. The verses to which you allude are not talking about specific punishment of two women, but are a prophetic vision warning Isreal and Judah of punishment directly from God. Taking verses out of context in such a way can make you 'confident' but it doesn't make you right.

Here is the whole of the Chapter so you can further allude to the context that the words were actually spoken in.
http://bible.crosswalk.com/OnlineStudyBible/bible.cgi?passage=eze+23&version=nlt&showtools=0

Look towards the end of the Chapter to find out that what they are talking about are cities, but further study will show you that the verses actually allude to Israel and Judah breaking gods law and it is Prophetic vision of military loss that you are reading about.

I give you the same chapter in the Geneva Study Bible which actually puts the verses in Context.

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/GenevaStudyBible/gen.cgi?book=eze&chapter=23#Eze23_2
23:2 Son of man, there were two women, the daughters of one (a) mother:

(a) Meaning, Israel and Judah who both came out of one family.

23:3 And they committed harlotries in (b) Egypt; they committed harlotries in their youth: there were their breasts pressed, and there they bruised the teats of their virginity.

(b) They became idolaters after the manner of the Egyptians.

23:4 And the names of (c) them [were] Aholah the elder, and Aholibah her sister: and they were mine, and they bore sons and daughters. Thus [were] their names; Samaria [is] Aholah, and Jerusalem Aholibah.

(c) Aholah signifies a mansion or dwelling in herself, meaning Samaria, which was the royal city of Israel and Aholibah signifies my mansion in her, by which is meant Jerusalem, where God’s temple was.

and some directly from the verses you give:

23:25 And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy (i) nose and thy ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy remnant shall be devoured by the fire.

(i) They will destroy your princes and priests with the rest of your people.

23:29 And they shall deal with thee in hatred, and shall take away all thy (k) labour, and shall leave thee naked and bare: and the nakedness of thy harlotries (l) shall be uncovered, both thy lewdness and thy harlotries.

(k) All your treasures and riches which you have gotten by labour.
(l) All the world will see your shameful forsaking of God to serve idols.

Anyway, it is the Judgement of God on Israel and Judah, not on some women, the punishment will come in military losses and that Israel and Judah will be scattered and enslaved. Read it in the context of the Study Bible, it will help you to avoid context errors like this one in the future.

God, through his prophet, was warning Israel and Judah what would become of them if they continued on this path. That other nations would come and, with military might, conquer and enslave them. Later you will see that happen with Nebuchadnezzer. This wasn't a command to punish anybody, it is totally removed from context and taken from Prophecy which often works with such innuendo and examples rather than speak directly.

Oh, and also in the future it might serve you well to give the Book, Chapter and Verse so that your allusion can be found by others. While a quick search and crosswalk.com was up to the task, it can only seem that you attempt to take them out of context and make it difficult to study the context of the verses to which you allude purposefully because you must know the context is killing your argument.

Forum List

Back