Is the Bible for reading only or to keep God's statutes and judgments and to do them?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Confident, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Confident

Confident Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    --------

When you read the bible, you find out that it's not only a book to read, but also to keep God's statutes and judgments and to do them.
    read this verse:

8 And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the LORD which sanctify you.
    and this:
    22 Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out.

But what are these statutes and judgments to do them??

8 And ye shall keep my statutes, and do them: I am the LORD which sanctify you.
    9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
    10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
    11 And the man that lieth with his father’s wife hath uncovered his father’s nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
    12 And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.
    13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
    14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.
    15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.
    16 And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
    17 And if a man shall take his sister, his father’s daughter, or his mother’s daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he hath uncovered his sister’s nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.
    18 And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.
    19 And thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother’s sister, nor of thy father’s sister: for he uncovereth his near kin: they shall bear their iniquity.
    20 And if a man shall lie with his uncle’s wife, he hath uncovered his uncle’s nakedness: they shall bear their sin; they shall die childless.
    21 And if a man shall take his brother’s wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother’s nakedness; they shall be childless.
    ----------

Read and keep God's statutes and judgments....

----------

2. LuvRPgrl

LuvRPgrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +206
    You make posts as though they are questions but they arent. You are A LIAR.

By the way, the OT, which you quote, was directed to the JEWS AS A GROUP, not to the individual current followers of God/Jesus. Jesus talked to us as individuals, the OT writings of the word of God was directed at the nation of Jews. Stick that in your pipe and chew on it, while you spew out your hatred.

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I"m not really sure what his point is, acutully, however:Is the Koran for reading only or to keep Allah's statutes and judgments and to do them?

Read and keep Allahs statutes and judgments..........or else.

4. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    So if God specifically instructed the Jewish people to live a certain way and follow certain laws, what kind of tortured logic would lead you to believe that God didn't want you to also follow those same rules? If God told the Jewish people not to eat pork then I don't see why he would want Christians to eat it. It's the same God is it not?

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    By what kind of tortured logic do ask a question of the answer?

6. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It's called the New Covenant. The commandments remain, but the rules of purity like don't eat pork etc do not. It's in the new testament, this only shows an ignorance of the religion, it isn't a deep new thought.

7. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    If God is perfect, and His word is perfect, why the need for a revision? He didn't get it perfect the first time?

8. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Because of the ultimate sacrifice it was no longer necessary to purify oneself to be able to be in the Temple, therefore God's presence. It was showing that such purity rules no longer applied because the ultimate sacrifice had been made for them, they were purified by the blood of Christ.

LOL. Teaching of Christ by the Buddhist....

Anyway the reason I understand this is because of the context of my upbringing, not necesarily belief.

9. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I guess you miss the point of the question. Was the original covenant in the OT wrong? A mistake? It must have been if it needed to be changed. How can this occur if God's word is perfect?

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Nice twist. It is not God's perfection that is the problem. It's Man's imperfection that is. God allows Man freedom of choice. That freedom of choice alters the World we live in every minute.

God's reaction to change brought about by Man is not a reflection on His perfection.