Is the Barry Administration going to Ban Conversations in Cars?

This is not supported by science.
Researchers at the University of Utah found that all conversations are not created equal. There is something uniquely distracting about talking on the phone when you’re behind the wheel; conversations with people inside the car are far less distracting to drivers.

Chatty Driving: Phones vs. Passengers - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

Listen RETARD...

There is NO Way that a Blue Tooth in my Ear is ANYMORE Distracting than a Person next to me or behind me in the Car.

A Cell in Hand, MAYBE...

Try again...

If anything, the People in the Car Cause you to look at them Instinctfully and a Hands Free Device does NOT.

This Absurdity is why I don't Buy the Research:

“In terms of risk, you’re as likely to be in an accident talking on the cell phone as you are if you are legally drunk,” Dr. Strayer said.

^Does ANYONE Honestly Beleive this?...

If so, then Drunken Driving isn't really a Serious Issue.

:)

peace...

I Highlighed the Absurdity that Negates that Study as Legitimate...

Would Spiderboobie like to Respond?

peace...

I'm all for this ban. Cell phone chatting and worse, texting, while driving is extremely distracting to the driver and dangerous to everyone else on the road. Holding the phone or hands-free blue tooth has nothing to do with it; the brain is where the problem lies.

Driving is one of the most cognitively complex activities. To drive safely, we have to concentrate, observe and process information quickly and correctly. We have to respond to all sorts of information that is constantly bombarding us from all directions as we drive. We have to be able to estimate speed and distance quickly and correctly.

Driving really requires 100% of our attention. When we speak on the cell phone while we are driving, we may think we are multi tasking. In fact, our brains do not really “multi task”. Our attention is divided between activities, and our brain switches quickly from one activity to the other.

The danger of talking on a cell phone while driving lies in the fact that the brain can’t process separate streams of information efficiently. Furthermore, it is “hard-wired” to prioritize attention to the cell phone conversation. Since words spoken during a cell phone conversation “disappear” once they are spoken, the brain must attend closely to the audio information to be sure it captures the conversation. The visual view of the road or highway does not change as rapidly as the audio information, so the brain periodically ignores some of the visual information. Also, when people are talking on the phone, they are not just talking; they are seeing all kinds of images in their mind.

This visualization may be harmless most of the time, but it can be a real tragedy when a pedestrian steps into traffic or a car swerves into another lane. When we are talking on the phone, the brain lacks the processing power to react quickly enough to these changing situations.

Conversely, driving and talking to a passenger in the car is not dangerous because adult riders help keep the driver alert and can also point out dangerous conditions, and are quieter in heavy traffic or hazardous weather.

So which cognitive skills are most affected by cell phone use?

Attention, visual scanning, information processing and decision making are the most affected cognitive skills. When you think about driving, you realize how much you need these cognitive skills, and how risky it could be to reduce the effectiveness of any of these functions when you’re driving.

The bottom line is that talking on the cell phone while driving is dangerous. Safe driving is not just about keeping our eyes on the road and our hands on the wheel; it’s about focusing our brains on one of the most cognitively-challenging activities we routinely perform.

How the Brain Works: Driving, Cell Phones and Cognitive Abilities | ITworld

The bolded in the above article I disagree with in part. Yes, conversations in a car can be distracting but because the passenger is in the car with you and can see what is happening as you drive, explanation for the driver's silence isn't necessary, as it would be on a cell phone. The passenger can also point out idiot drivers that the driver of the car may not see. The passenger can also look at the drive and 'read' his non-verbals, impossible to do when on a cell phone call.

Are they going to ban conversations in cars? Don't be ridiculous. Are they going to ban cell phone use in cars? One of the few times that I will ever say I sure hope so.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
I'm all for this ban. Cell phone chatting and worse, texting, while driving is extremely distracting to the driver and dangerous to everyone else on the road. Holding the phone or hands-free blue tooth has nothing to do with it; the brain is where the problem lies.

Driving is one of the most cognitively complex activities. To drive safely, we have to concentrate, observe and process information quickly and correctly. We have to respond to all sorts of information that is constantly bombarding us from all directions as we drive. We have to be able to estimate speed and distance quickly and correctly.

Driving really requires 100% of our attention. When we speak on the cell phone while we are driving, we may think we are multi tasking. In fact, our brains do not really “multi task”. Our attention is divided between activities, and our brain switches quickly from one activity to the other.

The danger of talking on a cell phone while driving lies in the fact that the brain can’t process separate streams of information efficiently. Furthermore, it is “hard-wired” to prioritize attention to the cell phone conversation. Since words spoken during a cell phone conversation “disappear” once they are spoken, the brain must attend closely to the audio information to be sure it captures the conversation. The visual view of the road or highway does not change as rapidly as the audio information, so the brain periodically ignores some of the visual information. Also, when people are talking on the phone, they are not just talking; they are seeing all kinds of images in their mind.

This visualization may be harmless most of the time, but it can be a real tragedy when a pedestrian steps into traffic or a car swerves into another lane. When we are talking on the phone, the brain lacks the processing power to react quickly enough to these changing situations.

Conversely, driving and talking to a passenger in the car is not dangerous because adult riders help keep the driver alert and can also point out dangerous conditions, and are quieter in heavy traffic or hazardous weather.

Attention, visual scanning, information processing and decision making are the most affected cognitive skills. When you think about driving, you realize how much you need these cognitive skills, and how risky it could be to reduce the effectiveness of any of these functions when you’re driving.

The bottom line is that talking on the cell phone while driving is dangerous. Safe driving is not just about keeping our eyes on the road and our hands on the wheel; it’s about focusing our brains on one of the most cognitively-challenging activities we routinely perform.

The bolded in the above article I disagree with in part. Yes, conversations in a car can be distracting but because the passenger is in the car with you and can see what is happening as you drive, explanation for the driver's silence isn't necessary, as it would be on a cell phone. The passenger can also point out idiot drivers that the driver of the car may not see. The passenger can also look at the drive and 'read' his non-verbals, impossible to do when on a cell phone call.

Are they going to ban conversations in cars? Don't be ridiculous. Are they going to ban cell phone use in cars? One of the few times that I will ever say I sure hope so.

I Respectfully Disagree... I Might be Open to a Passenger being LESS Distracting to the Driver than a Cell, but not Distracting at all?...

Something Tells me the Study had an Agenda...

If it's the Same Study we have been Commenting on, then Look at the other Conclusion they made in my Previous Post...

Absurdity.

peace...

I Respectfully Disagree... I Might be Open to a Passenger being LESS Distracting to the Driver than a Cell, but not Distracting at all?...

If it's the Same Study we have been Commenting on, then Look at the other Conclusion they made in my Previous Post...

Absurdity.

peace...

I meant that; guess I didn't word it right. Yes, less distracting. Oh, I just saw that they used the word dangerous and I used the word distracting. Talking to someone in the car is less distracting/dangerous vs. talking to someone on a cell.

I didn't read through every post/response/link on here; mostly I'm basing this on my own personal experiences and the many, many, many near misses with drivers who were simply not paying attention to the road because they were on their phone. I've talked on my cell a few times while in a store and I can tell you . . . . my brain/mind was focused on the phone conversation rather than what I was seeing going on around me. I've been on the phone while doing a task at home and I know that I can concentrate on the conversation OR the task but not both with equal attention. I believe that driving and cell talking/texting is extremely dangerous and the two do not mix well and if they banned cell phone usage while driving I'd be perfectly ok with it. Yes, even though it's uncle telling us what to do :eek: because someone's distracted driving while they are talking on a cell is hazardous to me.

Last edited:

Absurdity.

peace...

I meant that; guess I didn't word it right. Yes, less distracting. Oh, I just saw that they used the word dangerous and I used the word distracting. Talking to someone in the car is less distracting/dangerous vs. talking to someone on a cell.

I didn't read through every post/response/link on here; mostly I'm basing this on my own personal experiences and the many, many, many near misses with drivers who were simply not paying attention to the road because they were on their phone. I've talked on my cell a few times while in a store and I can tell you . . . . my brain/mind was focused on the phone conversation rather than what I was seeing going on around me. I've been on the phone will doing a task at home and I know that I can concentrate on the conversation OR the task but not both with equal attention. I believe that driving and cell talking/texting is extremely dangerous and the two do not mix well and if they banned cell phone usage while driving I'd be perfectly ok with it. Yes, even though it's uncle telling us what to do :eek: because someone's distracted driving while they are talking on a cell is hazardous to me.

I would NEVER Doubt that Cells, Hands Free or otherwise are "Distracting"...

But Hundreds of Millions of Times a Week, AT LEAST, People Use their Phones while Driving...

To Compare it to Drunk Driving and say it's WORSE, as one of these Studies did, is simply Absurd...

It Exposes the Study for being Agenda Driven and then Calls into Question ANY Conclusion they would make.

peace...

Absurdity.

peace...

I didn't read through every post/response/link on here; mostly I'm basing this on my own personal experiences and the many, many, many near misses with drivers who were simply not paying attention to the road because they were on their phone. I've talked on my cell a few times while in a store and I can tell you . . . . my brain/mind was focused on the phone conversation rather than what I was seeing going on around me. I've been on the phone will doing a task at home and I know that I can concentrate on the conversation OR the task but not both with equal attention. I believe that driving and cell talking/texting is extremely dangerous and the two do not mix well and if they banned cell phone usage while driving I'd be perfectly ok with it. Yes, even though it's uncle telling us what to do :eek: because someone's distracted driving while they are talking on a cell is hazardous to me.

But Hundreds of Millions of Times a Week, AT LEAST, People Use their Phones while Driving...

To Compare it to Drunk Driving and say it's WORSE, as one of these Studies did, is simply Absurd...

It Exposes the Study for being Agenda Driven and then Calls into Question ANY Conclusion they would make.

peace...

It offends me to have to give SpidermanTuba any validation, but I think his criticism of my first post discussing the "study" out of Utah has some merit. In other words, upon further reflection, I believe that he is partly right in his critique of what I said. And Mal, you have demonstrated more objectivity on this topic than I have so far. Good for you; not so good for me.

That said, I did have a pretty much knee-jerk reaction to the "study" since its conclusions appear to be at odds with common sense. I cannot believe (and I still do not accept) that the use of a hands free cell phone is as distracting as being legally intoxicated. Since I found the "conclusion" to be ludicrous, I jumped to the conclusion that the study must be bogus.

It seems to me that rather than having that study properly critiqed (peer reviewed) in terms of its methodology, etc., people just adopt its conclusions almost as an article of faith. I would instead suggest that when a conclusion seems improbable, it would be better "science" to scrutinize the "study," its methodology and assumptions, etc.

peace...

It offends me to have to give SpidermanTuba any validation, but I think his criticism of my first post discussing the "study" out of Utah has some merit. In other words, upon further reflection, I believe that he is partly right in his critique of what I said. And Mal, you have demonstrated more objectivity on this topic than I have so far. Good for you; not so good for me.

That said, I did have a pretty much knee-jerk reaction to the "study" since its conclusions appear to be at odds with common sense. I cannot believe (and I still do not accept) that the use of a hands free cell phone is as distracting as being legally intoxicated. Since I found the "conclusion" to be ludicrous, I jumped to the conclusion that the study must be bogus.

It seems to me that rather than having that study properly critiqed (peer reviewed) in terms of its methodology, etc., people just adopt its conclusions almost as an article of faith. I would instead suggest that when a conclusion seems improbable, it would be better "science" to scrutinize the "study," its methodology and assumptions, etc.

Thank you, Counselor... And you were Just in your Reaction to the Study...

The Conclusion that there are Basically 100's of Millions of Drunk Drivers on the Road each Week going to Work and coming Home from Work is Absurd on it's Face, and that Conclusion DOES Call into Question the Agenda of those Behind the Study...

peace...

Comrades, next time you need to take a crap, you'd better contact the approved government official for an ass wiping!!! Studies have shown that people use far too much toilet paper when wiping their asses after a good dump. This is bad for the ecology!! Now, the Nanny State has a program to help you!! It's called C.W.A..P. - Celebrity Wiping Ass Program. Sheryl Crow will personally drive to your house and wipe your ass clean using only one square!! IF she is not available Cheryl David (Larry David's ex- wife) will do it for you. But wait!! That's not all!! There's a complete list of environmental hypocrites just waiting to wipe your ass!! Including: Al Gore, John Travolta, Babs Streisand, Ed Begly Jr, Leonardo DiCaprio, Rosie O'Donnel, George Clooney and many, many more!!
Next time you wipe your ass, ask yourself.........
sheryl-crow-toilet.jpg

Last edited:
You're right of course. Driving a moving vehicle is a dangerous thing, PERIOD.

Well in that case, I guess we either have to allow anyone to drive anyway they want, as fast as they want, as drunk as they want - OR - put chips in everyone's head to have the government control every thought they have while driving. Because that's the simple choice that idiots can understand. We wouldn't want to do anything complicated like use science and statistics to figure out which factors severely impair someone's ability to drive and weed those out from the factors that have negligible impact.

We should have the government take over all human transportation.

I'm pretty sure that's already happened unless you walk your ass to work. That road you drive on to get to work? Who built that? G-O-V-E-R-N-M-E-N-T Who puts air marshals on planes? G-O-V-E-R-N-M-E-N-T The last time big transportation was done without government was when the railroad tycoons were buying up land and laying their own private rail lines. You don't like government in transportation? here's a clue - save your money, get a loan, buy a bunch of land, and lay a big private highway and charge people to use it! Because guess what? ROADS DON'T BUILD THEMSELVES. If government isn't going to do it Carlos Slim will have to.

(Note: if you choose to ride a bike you will be required to wear government approved safety gear and pass a proficiency test!)

I have a dear friend who is alive today because government made his irresponsible 20 year old ass wear a helmet on his motor bike. He wound up in a coma for 6 months anyway, and still owes 0.75 million dollars in medical bills 15 years later - but had he not had a helmet his brains would be mush and he'd be stone cold dead.

Yes, the freedom loving Democrats!! As usual attempting to legislating every aspect of human life. America - You will be FISTED!!!
Borg_Obama_Cube.jpg

Forum List

Back