Is the Barry Administration going to Ban Conversations in Cars?

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Is the Barry Administration going to Ban Conversations in Cars?

FocusDriven advocates share their stories in campaign to end distracted driving - Welcome to the Fast Lane: The Official Blog of the U.S. Secretary of Transportation

US Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood was suggesting that you and I put our cell phones in the glove box or turn them off when we are driving in recent comments he was making.

Make NO mistake, he is going to use the full force of the United States Government to accomplish his goal of Ending ALL cell phone use in the United States by drivers of motor vehicles.

My question is this, where does it end?

If my use of a hands-free device is distracting then so is having a conversation with the person next to me or others in the car having conversations.

What about car seats of screaming and projectile throwing babies?

Is Mr. LaHood going to push to Ban ALL conversations in cars after he is done with cells?

Then move to Fine Mothers who's Children are distracting them?

It would be the Honest conclusion to his goal of Ending Distracted Driving.

I noticed something else about this and other holier-than-thou Liberals pushing ever further into our personal lives using this Distracted Driving Mule currently...

They don't seem to have the Courage to call out Women who do any number of things including putting on make-up while driving, which just about everyone of us sees in our morning commute.

I’ve seen a Woman knee-driving, putting on make-up with one hand and alternating her other hand between a smoke and a cup of coffee.

Some of you are Angry at me right now and thinking, “he’s Lying”… Others are nodding because you’ve seen it also, or worse… You’ve done it yourself and think it’s perfectly OK because you haven’t plowed into a bus stop yet.

Don't even get me started on loud music.

Mr. LaHood doesn't call out these other Distracted Driving issues because he's afraid of being called a sexist, racist or whatever else most Liberals stay up at night worrying about if he does, but this same Administration will quietly watch as a Bill goes through to Obama that he will likely sign that will Tax the existing Healthcare of MILLIONS of Middle Class Teachers, mostly Women, to help pay for this attempt and first step towards Socialized Medicine.

Something Candidate Obama accused McCain of wanting to do, and something Barry said he would NOT do.

Well, he's got the Veto Pen, what do you think Barry will do?

DemocRATS are REAL good at appearing to Care about you when they want your Vote, but as you can see, they only Care about having more control over your Lives and your Labors.

Welcome to the Bed you have made... Sleep well.

Copyright ©2010 - americanfreepress.org/tha malcontent​

:)

peace...

Last edited:
I can't believe anyone is happy they voted for Obama. We truly need an election with at least one good candidate. This is sickening.

Manufacturers and businesses like the guys who make the products used by On-Star, and On-Star itself, as well as the folks who put BlueTooth devices in the dashboards of new cars and the folks who manufacture those BlueTooth and similar devices which we place in our own ears, so that we can chat without having to take our eyes off the road or a hand off the sterring wheel, are gonna be PISSED at the Obama Administration if the nanny state statists try to cram this shit through.

And what about McDonalds and Boiga King? Fuck that whole "drive through window" shit. That will go the way of the drive-in movie theaters.

The new nanny state Public service advertisemenst will be along these lines, I would imagine!

D*rth-Vader like voice over: "Eating while driving is distracted driving. Take a bite, go to jail! {heavy metallic clanking sound of cell door being slammed shut!}

Will we be allowed to eat or drink coffee while we drive?

Why are Liberal...er, Progressive always such total Fascists?

So much for Cup Holders... Out like the Cig Lighter...

Maybe the Cup Holder can Hold the Litter we are Forced to Stop and Pick up under the "Save Mother Earth at ALL Costs" Law of 2011!

And then when Accidents Happen because of that, they'll Ban that Activity! :lol:

peace...

Citizen CrusaderFrank!

You have just spoken disrespectfully of our liberal brothers and sisters -- and of our progressive brothers and sisters, to the extent that "liberals" and "progressives" are not the same thing.

Speaking disrespectfully of another person on the basis of his or her political ideology is, under Executive Order 2010-0001-0001(a)(ii)(c), now classified as a hate crime.

Promptly report to an Obama Re-Education Center.​

Citizen CrusaderFrank!

You have just spoken disrespectfully of our liberal brothers and sisters -- and of our progressive brothers and sisters, to the extent that "liberals" and "progressives" are not the same thing.

Speaking disrespectfully of another person on the basis of his or her political ideology is, under Executive Order 2010-0001-0001(a)(ii)(c), now classified as a hate crime.

Promptly report to an Obama Re-Education Center.​

:rofl:

peace...

US Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood was suggesting that you and I put our cell phones in the glove box or turn them off when we are driving in recent comments he was making.

That's an excellent idea. Most of the time someone almost runs into me I look up and see them with a cell phone in their hand. I was crossing the street as a pedestrian once on LSU's campus, where all vehicles must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. The driver didn't see me because she was on her damn cell phone. Fortunately she looked up in time to brake and come to rest about 1 foot in front of my legs. Did she hang up the phone? Of course not, she merely relayed to the person on the other end she nearly killed someone.

Make NO mistake, he is going to use the full force of the United States Government to accomplish his goal of Ending ALL cell phone use in the United States by drivers of motor vehicles.

Excellent.

My question is this, where does it nd?

Where does what end?

If my use of a hands-free device is distracting then so is having a conversation with the person next to me or others in the car having conversations.

This is not supported by science.
Researchers at the University of Utah found that all conversations are not created equal. There is something uniquely distracting about talking on the phone when you’re behind the wheel; conversations with people inside the car are far less distracting to drivers.

Chatty Driving: Phones vs. Passengers - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

Nor is it supported by common sense. Anyone who has ever driven with a cell phone hands free or not knows that a conversation with someone not in the car is more distracting than a conversation with someone in the car.

Is Mr. LaHood going to push to Ban ALL conversations in cars after he is done with cells?

No.

Are you retarded or something?

Researchers at the University of Utah found that all conversations are not created equal. There is something uniquely distracting about talking on the phone when you’re behind the wheel; conversations with people inside the car are far less distracting to drivers.

Listen RETARD...

There is NO Way that a Blue Tooth in my Ear is ANYMORE Distracting than a Person next to me or behind me in the Car.

A Cell in Hand, MAYBE...

Try again...

If anything, the People in the Car Cause you to look at them Instinctfully and a Hands Free Device does NOT.

This Absurdity is why I don't Buy the Research:

“In terms of risk, you’re as likely to be in an accident talking on the cell phone as you are if you are legally drunk,” Dr. Strayer said.

^Does ANYONE Honestly Beleive this?...

If so, then Drunken Driving isn't really a Serious Issue.

peace...

Last edited:

Listen RETARD...

There is NO Way that a Blue Tooth in my Ear is ANYMORE Distracting than a Person next to me or behind me in the Car.

A Cell in Hand, MAYBE...

Try again...

If anything, the People in the Car Cause you to look at them Instinctfully and a Hands Free Device does NOT.

“In terms of risk, you’re as likely to be in an accident talking on the cell phone as you are if you are legally drunk,” Dr. Strayer said.

If so, then Drunken Driving isn't really a Serious Issue.

peace...

Good God, I sure HOPE not. It's facially invalid. It's absurd and ridiculous for the very reasons you have correctly noted.

(As A SIDE NOTE: I almost got into a car accident driving home a few years ago. It was a two lane merging into the middle lane situation, and as I was going from the right lane into the middle lane, the guy speeding in the left lane coming up from behind tried to cut over into the middle lane. He almost hit me in my driver's side door. My kidney almost took the hit. I was pissed. He was insane, however, as though the "blame" were all mine. I could see him, all red faced, saying something irate at me. I gve him the old sign language signal for "you are nuts!" :cuckoo: I pointed to my temple as if to say "use your fucking head next time!" But -- he thought I was explaining that I had been distracted because he thought I was pointing to my BlueTooth! :lol:)

I am going to Concede, for the Sake of this Argument I am Currently having, that Hands-Free is MORE Distracting than a Passenger...

Now, are Passenger's Distracting at all?...

If you Agree that they are, then the Premise of Expanding Regulations BEYOND Banning Cells in Cars is Perfectly Valid.

peace...

That's your personal opinion, science says otherwise. Some people have the personal opinion they can drive fine when drunk, despite science saying otherwise - should we make it legal to drive drunk to accommodate their opinions?

I fail to see how we are to trust your individual intuition on the issue as opposed to a controlled scientific study.

You don't have to buy it, it isn't for sale. It just is. You don't have to believe it either, but you do have to understand that public policy is more likely to be guided by science than by your single individual opinion based on absolutely nothing but your own firsthand experience.

I hope you can understand this.

Nearly every driver riding with a passenger completed the task – sometimes the passenger alerted the driver to the approaching rest stop

Just curious, how many of you anti-science people have ever had someone on a cell phone alert you to an imminent road hazard?

This is from the actual paper, which I'm almost certain you haven't read one word of it (that would require actual work on your part, its much easier just to declare it wrong)

An alternative perspective, drawn from psycholinguistics, em-
phasizes conversations as joint activities that involve shared atten-
tion from all participants, and as dynamic activities that unfold
over time (Clark, 1996). This perspective emphasizes that partic-
ipants in a conversation move forward in the joint activity of
conversing by adding to their shared understandings of what is
being talked about. This process is called grounding (Clark &
Schaefer, 1989) and it involves establishing that all parties in a
conversation share relevant knowledge, beliefs, and assumptions.
It also includes awareness of the current context that provides
many cues that can aid in grounding, such as shared visual atten-
tion (Richardson, Dale, & Kirkham, 2007) and shared awareness
of distractions. The critical difference between a cell phone con-
versation and an in-vehicle conversation revolves around this
shared awareness of the driving context.
That shared awareness
leads to the prediction that in-vehicle conversation will not have
the same detrimental impact on driving performance that cell
phone conversations have.

http://www.psych.utah.edu/lab/appliedcognition/publications/passenger.pdf

I guess you guys just aren't very good passengers. When you're riding as a shotgun passenger and conversing with the driver, and an imminent road hazard appears - do you just continue the conversation as if you're not about to get in a wreck? Because if you do, you're stupid. When I'm in that situation I either cease conversation or yell to alert the driver.

Last edited:
YES He will tax everyone who does anything else but drive to pay for Obamacare. No talking, eating, smoking, ect. the only people exempted will be congressmen, senators, and their families. and anyone else singing I love Obama songs!!!

Now, are Passenger's Distracting at all?...

If you Agree that they are, then the Premise of Expanding Regulations BEYOND Banning Cells in Cars is Perfectly Valid.

peace...

The science doesn't support passengers as being a significant distraction.

I know for a fact my wife drives better with me riding shotgun, doesn't matter if we're conversing or not.

Fact is that many people can drive just fine with one hand, We've been doing it all our lives. One arm around our date. One hand smoking a cigarette, One hand adjusting the radio/tape/CD player. One hand on the CB Microphone. One hand drinking a cup of coffee. So now one hand holding a cell phone. I just do not see the difference.

nothing differant just a new Tax revenue.all Bullshit like global warming and cap and trade. new times call for tax grabbing scams!!!!

Fact is that many people can drive just fine with one hand, We've been doing it all our lives. One arm around our date. One hand smoking a cigarette, One hand adjusting the radio/tape/CD player. One hand on the CB Microphone. One hand drinking a cup of coffee. So now one hand holding a cell phone.

Its not the loss of a hand that's the problem. Its a shift of your attention out of the driving context that is the problem. All things you mentioned, other than the cell phone, are in the driving context. When you're on a cell phone your mind is in two places at once, doesn't matter where your hand is.

I just do not see the difference.

You don 't have to, its done for you. The difference is elaborated on in excruciating detail right here:

Fact is that many people can drive just fine with one hand, We've been doing it all our lives. One arm around our date. One hand smoking a cigarette, One hand adjusting the radio/tape/CD player. One hand on the CB Microphone. One hand drinking a cup of coffee. So now one hand holding a cell phone.

Its not the loss of a hand that's the problem. Its a shift of your attention out of the driving context that is the problem. All things you mentioned, other than the cell phone, are in the driving context. When you're on a cell phone your mind is in two places at once, doesn't matter where your hand is.

I just do not see the difference.

You don 't have to, its done for you. The difference is elaborated on in excruciating detail right here:

With one arm around my date I can promise you that my attention was split between her and the driving. Not to mention messing with the radio or talking on a CB.

Forum List

Back