Is The Avoidable Death Of Your Pet Acceptable To You ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Is The Avoidable Death Of Your Pet Acceptable To You ?

Right now, perhaps 99% of you are saying “it’s NOT acceptable for my pet (cat, dog, etc) to die. At least not at a young age. And not when some simple veterinarian care could save him/her.

But that is what is happening to thousands of pets every year in America. I am having to think that those animals’ owners are OK with the death of their pets, when they never lifted a finger to a keyboard, or dialed a phone # to try to fix the problem.

The problem ? The standard practice of veterinarians to require full payment for full medical care UP FRONT, before any care at all is administered.

Pet insurance ? Yes, it’s cheap. $20/month is common. That’s not the problem. The problem is that the vets still require the UP FRONT payment, even if you have insurance (which is why so few pet owners have it).

It’s not at all unreasonable to say that veterinarians should not require full payment before care is given. Who, other than them, gets paid in advance ? Practically nobody. Generally, you do the work and you get paid AFTER it’s done. This is true also of human doctors and hospitals , who simply take an insurance card and get to work. Then, they get reimbursed later, unlike the veterinarians who get their money immediately, and then you get reimbursed later by your insurance company (IF you have the thousands of $$ to pay out of your own pocket when you bring your pet in).

And if you don’t have that thousands of dollars ? Your pet is not accepted for treatment and he/she dies. So, this could be rectified just by legislation. But legislation requires public outcry. So have you Mr. And Ms. Pet owner stated your case to your legislators ? Or do you just accept the ludicrous scenario as it currently exists ? Maybe there are some people who have raised some cain over this, but if there are, I don’t know who, or where they are. As far as I know, I may be the only pet owner in America who is trying to correct this outrage, and is speaking out.

Lastly, please don’t anyone give us that old, worn-out cop-out that legislators won’t do anything except respond to lobbyists contributing to their re-election. In reality, yes they do that, but thousands of pieces of legislation have gotten passed over the past few years, having nothing to do with lobbying. If you guys want to keep your pets healthy (and alive), raise some objection to the UP FRONT rule that veterinarians require.

Every pet owner should have pet medical insurance, and it ought to be able to get your pet care immediately, just by presenting you pet insurance card (same as human medical care).

It should work just like people insurance. It just doesn't.

You can cultivate a relationship with a vet so that he or she will extend payments in the event that it's necessary. You can do research and find animal care charities you can call. Keep the numbers handy. Set up a savings account for medical emergencies.

Pet owners are responsible for caring for their pets. They have insurance, money in savings for emergencies, a credit card. We don't need government to pass laws on how vets charge for service.

Pets are property, and a luxury. The issue requires no governmental interference. Especially if that help manifests itself in the same manner as Obamacare...

Pet owners are responsible for caring for their pets. They have insurance, money in savings for emergencies, a credit card. We don't need government to pass laws on how vets charge for service.
More racketeering scams for the insurance company/bankers. Even when I did not have the money up front my vet always took care of the dogs when in need and let me make payments to them. That even included one miniature Peke that my grand ran over while he was sleeping in the driveway near where I was working. His little Pelvic bones were in 13 larger pieces with small pieces that could not be reconstruction and his right leg was broken into three larger pieces also with smaller pieces. The vet had him on the operating table for several hours. He let me make payments for several months for my lil' guy. Even after we moved to another state I still was able to find good caring vet services for my dogs and when it came up I was short of cash they also took care of the dog's needs first and waited to get paid. These wonderful people know how much you love your fuzzy family members and they trust you will pay them for their services asap even when times are tough.

Doctors used to be the same but then we got the greed monsters that got involved in "fixing everything" and many of those good people that based what they did on caring about the patient's need first and foremost went away.

You can cultivate a relationship with a vet so that he or she will extend payments in the event that it's necessary. You can do research and find animal care charities you can call. Keep the numbers handy. Set up a savings account for medical emergencies.
I've been looking for those charities. Haven't found them though. Don't have enough income to save anything. Need more VA pension and Social Security. Good ideas though.

Yes we do. There's no reason for vets to enjoy the priviligese of up front payment at the cost of our pet's lives.

Pets are property, and a luxury. The issue requires no governmental interference. Especially if that help manifests itself in the same manner as Obamacare...
It's not anything to do with Obamacare. I'm talking about pet insurance being like HUMAN insurance - that's all.

Yes we do. There's no reason for vets to enjoy the priviligese of up front payment at the cost of our pet's lives.
You've got that backwards. The priveledge is yours at whatever price, and terms, the service giver dictate. He owes you, or your pet nothing.

You've got that backwards. The priveledge is yours at whatever price, and terms, the service giver dictate. He owes you, or your pet nothing.
It's not a matter of owing. It's a matter of just doing what is right, and is generally the appropriate method in our society >> (as in HUMAN medical care)

Vets' convenience doesn't match up to the deaths of thousands of dogs & cats every year. This is hard to comprehend ? I've got it right - don't need coaching.

It's not a matter of owing. It's a matter of just doing what is right, and is generally the appropriate method in our society >> (as in HUMAN medical care)

Vets' convenience doesn't match up to the deaths of thousands of dogs & cats every year. This is hard to comprehend ? I've got it right - don't need coaching.
You're the one having comprehension issues. "Convenience", of the veteranarins, has nothing to do with the countless animal deaths you speak of.

I've been looking for those charities. Haven't found them though. Don't have enough income to save anything. Need more VA pension and Social Security. Good ideas though.

Here is a list of charities that will help a pet owner in need.

Are You Having Trouble Affording Your Pet? : The Humane Society of the United States

You might call local rescues they have charities that they get support from and might help you. Open a Go Fund Me page.

I could not get insurance for my precious little girl. She was born with a bad heart and was uninsurable. She had chronic and serious problems. I worked something out with her vet. I got a discount and could make payments. In addition, I got a Care Credit medical credit card.

No reason? Is there some reason why you think you set the policies of veterinarians?

No reason? Vets are not running a charity, they are running a business. Payment for services rendered is a perfectly reasonable expectation for a business.

You're the one having comprehension issues. "Convenience", of the veteranarins, has nothing to do with the countless animal deaths you speak of.
Yes it does. They want their money immediately, instead of having to wait for it from the insurance companies (as human doctors do) That's EXACTLY the point here.

And since the overwhelming majority of pet owners can't afford to pay the very high costs (especially surgery), the pets go untreated, and die. Man, I had to spell it all out for you didn't I ?

What are you thinking ?

No reason? Is there some reason why you think you set the policies of veterinarians?
Sure. Just as we all in America, set the policies for many things, to protect ourselves -including business practices (of which veterinarians are not an exception)

Are You Having Trouble Affording Your Pet? : The Humane Society of the United States

You might call local rescues they have charities that they get support from and might help you. Open a Go Fund Me page.

I could not get insurance for my precious little girl. She was born with a bad heart and was uninsurable. She had chronic and serious problems. I worked something out with her vet. I got a discount and could make payments. In addition, I got a Care Credit medical credit card.
I am still looking for one of these good vets in my area. Lucky are those who have one, Thanks for the tips.

Yes it does. They want their money immediately, instead of having to wait for it from the insurance companies (as human doctors do) That's EXACTLY the point here.

And since the overwhelming majority of pet owners can't afford to pay the very high costs (especially surgery), the pets go untreated, and die. Man, I had to spell it all out for you didn't I ?

What are you thinking ?
Pets are a luxury. If you cannot afford to care for their needs, you have no business owning them.

I am still looking for one of these good vets in my area. Lucky are those who have one, Thanks for the tips.
I have never had a vet that didn't work out a payment plan. I took my pets always to the same vet and went regularly. My pets were always up to date on everything. I proved a responsible pet parent. After years, my vet trusted me. When I needed help I got it.

Pets are a luxury. If you cannot afford to care for their needs, you have no business owning them.
That's only true under the system as it is now. But I don't accept the validity of that system. If vets took insurance as human doctors do, we could afford them very easily. Get it ?

Forum List

Back