Is The American Experiment Over?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AVG-JOE, Nov 2, 2008.

?

Is The American Experiment Over?

1. Yes - America will look very different politically in 10 years

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No - America will look the same politically in 10 years.

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. It's a crap-shoot... Time to buy a gun and hope for the best.

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    I am seeing a lot of anger, much of it justifiable, in threads about illegal immigration, corporate greed, unfair taxation, etc.

My political question for the board is this: Can America, as we know it, be saved? If this board is any sort of representation, this country is fractured... Are we destined to break up into more manageable regions where the gay folk can marry as they please in California and the Northeast and the religious folk can hang young women and doctors who commit abortion in Alaska and Texas?

Does this election begin the closing chapter of the American Experiment?

-Joe

2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    My American dream has been rewritten. All I want is to buy 40 - 50 acres out west and live off the grid with my dogs, my horse and my guns. Oh yeah my wife too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Hoping for the best, eh? Me too... I'm working on a similar situation here in Florida - no where near 40 acres and a mule, but it is amazing how much food can be grown year round on a small patch of sandy dirt with water.

-Joe

4. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    I have binders full of architectural plans for sustainable homes, solar, wind, ground source heat pumps wood furnaces.

I figure with 10 acres of clear land and 40 of wooded, I can live off the grid till I expire

5. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Good plan... I hope your health holds out - I'm hoping the same for myself.

-Joe

6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,038

We felt the same...an unbelievable desire to be self sufficient, needed to GET OUT OF DODGE, left the busy massachusetts...came to maine, have a garden and alot of apple trees with a river watersource nearby and a barter community where one has cattle and one has eggs and chickens and one has apples :) and one has veggies.....we got a good size generator if the grid falls but are looking to do some kind of wind or solar...

the only thing missing is a reasonable broadband service....none going to my house, had to pay for Verizon Wireless for my laptop....

Care

7. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    Country Boy can Survive
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlUaZlyct5M&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  8. GigiBowman

GigiBowman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Now you guys are talking!

by the way, a lot of Ron Paulites have decided to start their own place

Paulville.org - Home

9. Turboswede

Turboswede Very Metal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    We will be fine Average-Joe because most Americans just don’t care that much. Americans are like people everywhere, as long as they have food to eat, TV and hot & cold running sewage the masses will be fine. America will swing politicaly from the left to the right and we have been in a fairly right wing trajectory for the past 8 years.

Now we are going to swing back to the left for a while. I think the Right are going to be a bit surprised by the things Obama won’t do. Just like Republicans can do things the Democrats would never get away with (think bailing out Chrysler, establishing relations with the PRC, federalizing the National Guard to support the Civil Rights Movement, etc.) the Democrats can take actions that would be suicide from a Republican perspective (budget cuts, welfare reform, etc.).

I am absolutely sure that Obama will not take people’s guns away any more than McCain would require children to pray in school, it would show all the middle of the road voters that everything the opposing side had said during the campaign was true.

America is rich, strong, smart and powerful and I don’t think either presidential candidate, or Major Party for that matter, wants to see that change. Today is nothing compared to the 60’s when you had political figures being assassinated left and right, a far more deadly (but less expensive) war and a major political 3rd party based on racial segregation.

If we survived that, I am sure we can survive McCain or Obama.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    This sustainability thing is exactly the unifying theme that goes with most political philosophies.

We have our photovoltaic feeding into the grid, we produce almost all the elctricity we need. We garden, and have native and edible landscape. WE don't want to be hermits because we are both interested in making a mark in our fields, which we can't do on 40 acres in the wilderness. But I think the idea of sustainability and independence and equality is common to every political philosophy. So I vote that the experiment is working.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1