Is suicide a sin?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
If yes, then jesus wasn't sinless
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ott15j2KwQ[/ame]

hence, bullshit

if no, then why don't Christians kill themselves right after baptism to ensure they don't fall out of god's favour and they make it to heaven?

"Into your hands I commend my spirit"
He was simply returning from whence He came.
"In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God"

Killing is a sin.
The only unforgivable sin, however, is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
A suicide victim will get their chance to ask forgiveness when they're standing at the Throne on Judgment Day.

I cannot believe that my loving Father would judge my 83 years on earth by one single moment of weakness/madness and sentence me to a burning death over it.

:cool:

hence, bullshit

if no, then why don't Christians kill themselves right after baptism to ensure they don't fall out of god's favour and they make it to heaven?

You non-believers sure do spend a lot of time on the faith of believers...

It's seems that it's not enough that you don't believe, but you want others to stop believing as well... Proselytizing your own brand of faithlessness...

How sad for you...

hence, bullshit

It's seems that it's not enough that you don't believe, but you want others to stop believing as well... Proselytizing your own brand of faithlessness...

How sad for you...
Then, when we answer with scripture some of the ridiculous questions posed to us, we get charged with "shoving our religion down their throats".
:clap2:

hence, bullshit

How sad for you...
Then, when we answer with scripture some of the ridiculous questions posed to us, we get charged with "shoving our religion down their throats".
:clap2:

Isn't it ironical...;)

Is suicide a sin? How's this for an answer: I don't know.

My question is: Are people driven to that level of desperation or madness accountable for their actions?

I'd like to think not. But no, I don't know the answer.

I wouldn't consider Jesus' crucifixion a suicide though. That's an extreme and unsupported view, IMO. Submission isn't the same as willfully taking one's own life.

I wouldn't consider Jesus' crucifixion a suicide though. That's an extreme and unsupported view, IMO. Submission isn't the same as willfully taking one's own life.

I agree.

In fact, I thought it was such a weak supposition that I didn't bother justifying it with a response. But I'm sort of glad that you did.

I don't buy into the concept of sins punishable in an afterlife. But I've got my own sense of right and wrong, and from the outside looking in I think it's wrong because it's a selfish act that devastates the people who care about you. But in the end hearing about a suicide makes me feel sad for the person more than judgmental.

I think it depends on why the person commited suicide. But don't quote me on that, I have not done enough study on this subject.

Once a person is saved they never fall from the Lord's Love. If someone seems to have fallen then they were either never saved in the first place or they are saved but having a battle with the flesh. If it is the latter, then they will see their failure and repent(ask for forgiveness and turn from that failure).

Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Also, just because someone gets baptized don't mean they are saved. Baptizm of water does NOT save. Salvation is of the Lord not of ourselves. Nothing WE do can save us nor cause us to become 'unsaved'.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Actually, from some of the religious/mythological readings I perused through, suicide is a sin except in certain cases.

Those cases are--the preservation of your homeland, faith and family. If you die in the process of defending these institutions and there was an avenue of escaping but there existed a chance of these institutions being harmed, then it is not considered a sin.

However--the concept of "dying for the faith" is not shared by all religions. It is presented and celebrated in the religions of Christianity and Islam, but for the others I have yet to find any tenets that support "martydom".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo&feature=related[/ame]

Jews condemed him and Romans killed him.
He was scraficed for our sins.

You know, I have always found this concept about Christ a little disturbing.

You see--A god(Jesus) is being sacrificed for mortals. But it is considered blasphemous to Jehovah/Yaweh to sacrifice humans to him.

In fact, Jehovah/Yaweh(I might be misspelling the name) condemn a group of people(Molechs, I think) for sacrificing their first born to their gods. Yet, in the case of Jesus, Mary's first born child is sacrificed for man.

In fact, the more I think about the issue, something seems very odd about the conception, life and death of christ, and at times I even sense a problem with converting to Christianity.

The acceptance of a man/gods flesh blood and the pronouncement of Jesus(not Jehovah/Yaweh) as your lord and savior at times appear as the conclusion of some Satanic rite to me. Even the promise of everlasting life(which was forbidden to man as early as creation) seems to be a dangerous gift to man. Of course, that is just me.

I don't know if suicide is a sin or not but I know it's against the law here in Illinois. However, I don't recall anyone ever being arrested for committing suicide. Odd.

I suppose we have to remember that people in that situation are so desperate that their thinking has become totally clouded. Not to easy to apply right/wrong judgements to a situation where simple, free choices no longer apply.

Forum List

Back