Is Standard and Poor Blaming the Teaparty for credit Downgrade ?

Sentinel

Rookie
Aug 6, 2011
We lowered our long-term rating on the U.S. because we believe that the
prolonged controversy over raising the statutory debt ceiling and the related
fiscal policy debate indicate that further near-term progress containing the
growth in public spending, especially on entitlements, or on reaching an
agreement on raising revenues is less likely than we previously assumed and
will remain a contentious and fitful process. - S&P Analysis

Ahh it wont allow me to link to the standard and poors site that has the entire article because I dont have 15 posts as of yet :{ Above is an actual excerpt.

What a friggen joke. and you useful sheep spread it along happily for YOUR MASTERS.

You should be ashamed, but we know you aren't.

The fault LIES WITH the Democrats and Republicans, the Tea party is NOT EVEN IN A Majority, remember you all told us that over and over... and this greedy ass Government.

Last edited:
The major part of the analysis from S & P focused largely on spending issues, particularly entitlements. Basically, it mirrors what the Tea Party has said are the big issues with government spending. This was practically an endorsement of Tea Party policy.

Ahh it wont allow me to link to the standard and poors site that has the entire article because I dont have 15 posts as of yet :{ Above is an actual excerpt.

I don't have your problem regarding posts:

S & P statement on U.S. debt downgrade - CBS News

S & P statement on U.S. debt downgrade

Standard & Poor's issued a statement Friday about their downgrade of U.S. debt:

S&P downgrades U.S. debt
Treasury Dept.: Downgrade flawed by $2-Trillion error

* We have lowered our long-term sovereign credit rating on the United States of America to 'AA+' from 'AAA' and affirmed the 'A-1+' short-term rating.

* We have also removed both the short- and long-term ratings from CreditWatch negative.

* The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the Administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics.

* More broadly, the downgrade reflects our view that the effectiveness, stability, and predictability of American policymaking and political institutions have weakened at a time of ongoing fiscal and economic challenges to a degree more than we envisioned when we assigned a negative outlook to the rating on April 18, 2011.

* Since then, we have changed our view of the difficulties in bridging the gulf between the political parties over fiscal policy, which makes us pessimistic about the capacity of Congress and the Administration to be able to leverage their agreement this week into a broader fiscal consolidation plan that stabilizes the government's debt dynamics any time soon.

* The outlook on the long-term rating is negative. We could lower the long-term rating to 'AA' within the next two years if we see that less reduction in spending than agreed to, higher interest rates, or new fiscal pressures during the period result in a higher general government debt trajectory than we currently assume in our base case.
Those are CBS bullets, the full text follows. I'll only give what I think has been missing from the bullets and from the board discussions:

...When comparing the U.S. to sovereigns with 'AAA' long-term ratings that we view as relevant peers-Canada, France, Germany, and the U.K.-we also observe, based on our base case scenarios for each, that the trajectory of the U.S.'s net public debt is diverging from the others. Including the U.S., we estimate that these five sovereigns will have net general government debt to GDP ratios this year ranging from 34% (Canada) to 80% (the U.K.), with the U.S. debt burden at 74%. By 2015, we project that their net public debt to GDP ratios will range between 30% (lowest, Canada) and 83% (highest, France), with the U.S. debt burden at 79%. However, in contrast with the U.S., we project that the net public debt burdens of these other sovereigns will begin to decline, either before or by 2015...
in other words, most of the West is in process of reversing prior behavior, while the US is copying what has failed.

...The outlook on the long-term rating is negative. As our downside alternate fiscal scenario illustrates, a higher public debt trajectory than we currently assume could lead us to lower the long-term rating again. On the other hand, as our upside scenario highlights, if the recommendations of the Congressional Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction-independently or coupled with other initiatives, such as the lapsing of the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts for high earners-lead to fiscal consolidation measures beyond the minimum mandated, and we believe they are likely to slow the deterioration of the government's debt dynamics, the long-term rating could stabilize at 'AA+'.

On Monday, we will issue separate releases concerning affected ratings in the funds, government-related entities, financial institutions, insurance, public finance, and structured finance sectors.

Good work Annie, of course we don't EXPECT any honesty or honor amongst the left.

* The downgrade reflects our opinion that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the Administration recently agreed to falls short of what, in our view, would be necessary to stabilize the government's medium-term debt dynamics.

Anything for them to keep their NANNY MASTERS in Power. Even Lying. And blaming EVERYBODY ELSE but their Democrat sugar daddies.

Last edited:

ONLY if you completely ignore the salient part of what you posted...that being "progress containing the
agreement on raising revenues is less likely
"

The problem is as it has always been for the rating agencies....Washington's unwillingness to deal with our DEBT and SPENDING in a realistic way!

The Tea Party is the only reason we are even having the conversation.......

No, its not just the Tea Party, though they are part of it. It is because of the intractability of the entire political process, of which the Tea Party are a part.

S&P downgraded us because of politics, not because of economics. They aren't saying we can't pay or make sacrifices. They are saying we aren't willing to pay or make sacrifices.

No, its not just the Tea Party, though they are part of it. It is because of the intractability of the entire political process, of which the Tea Party are a part.

S&P downgraded us because of politics, not because of economics. They aren't saying we can't pay or make sacrifices. They are saying we aren't willing to pay or make sacrifices.

If Congress had simply adopted Ryan's budget we would not be having this conversation. So the issue is Democratic recalcitrance, not the Tea Party.

The Tea Party (Representatives) have been in office FOR SEVEN MONTHS. If not for them the Obama and Democrats would of WALKED all over the Republicans and they would of CAVED like they normally do and DID. and see where it GOT US. I am sick with the Republican party yet you on the left are finding BLAME with EVERYONE else and find NOT A SHRED of BLAME with your saintly Democrats and Obama. It is rather sickening to watch. shame shame shame

Last edited:

ONLY if you completely ignore the salient part of what you posted...that being "progress containing the
agreement on raising revenues is less likely
"

The problem is as it has always been for the rating agencies....Washington's unwillingness to deal with our DEBT and SPENDING in a realistic way!

The Tea Party is the only reason we are even having the conversation.......

The tea party is not a party, it's a philosophy. When Paul Ryan was elected, there wasn't a 'Tea Party.'

Paul Ryan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...He won a 1998 election to succeed two-term Representative Mark Neumann in the United States House of Representatives...

Indeed, he proceeded GW, not just the tea party.

When Ryan submitted his plan which was DOA, I thought and posted, that at least he was beginning a conversation that could lead somewhere to a compromise. Obama and others ignored it, just like they did the Bowles-Simpson committee plan, for they wanted to spend, not contract. Obama thought he could just get his 'clean bill' if he waited, not considering the political capital spent with no budgets and rising unemployment coupled with inflationary pressures on oil and food.

Yeah, REMEMBER when they told us the TEA PARTY was INSIGNIFICANT.

NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN, EVERY FUCKING THING WRONG IS THEIR FAULT.

you have to laugh and shake your head with the sheepish like usefulness and pure IGNORANCE of the Democrat voters.

This is why we are HERE TODAY. fine job. you all should BE PROUD.

I love it. The blame is on the Tea Party? The only ones demanding responsible fiscal policy, massive government spending cuts and program elimination and a return to sensible tax policies are to blame? On the other hand we have the entrenched elitist party structures of both parties, and a blithering economic illiterate white house spending like soulless dilettante speed freak school girls with no concept of cost and daddy's credit cards at a mall that's open 24 hours buying more than a convoy of semis could haul.

Who's the ones responsible again?

Yes.

The one group that wanted a balanced budget and has held miniscule power for almost two years is at fault.

If we balance the budget the "terrorist" have won! Didn't you get the memo?

You mean the same group that did not complain about Bush spending?

Partisan politics not real morals and such.

Yeah, REMEMBER when they told us the TEA PARTY was INSIGNIFICANT.

NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN, EVERY FUCKING THING WRONG IS THEIR FAULT.

you have to laugh and shake your head with the sheepish like usefulness and pure IGNORANCE of the Democrat voters.

This is why we are HERE TODAY. fine job. you all should BE PROUD.

It's fun looking back on Pelosi's statements. They were such utter bullshit and appear obviously so now.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P44q7Jt68DA]‪Pelosi on Tea Parties: "We Call it Astroturf"‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The treasonous Tea Party will do whatever it takes to destroy America.

Yes.

The one group that wanted a balanced budget and has held miniscule power for almost two years is at fault.

If we balance the budget the "terrorist" have won! Didn't you get the memo?

You mean the same group that did not complain about Bush spending?

Partisan politics not real morals and such.
You mean the same group that didn't exist during it's presidency and started after TARP and the Bailouts were created?

The Tea Party movement (TPM) is an American populist[1][2][3] political movement that is generally recognized as conservative and libertarian,[4][5] and has sponsored protests and supported political candidates since 2009.[6][7][8] It endorses reduced government spending,[9][10] opposition to taxation in varying degrees,[10] reduction of the national debt and federal budget deficit,[9] and adherence to an originalist interpretation of the United States Constitution.[11]

How about a little fire, Scarecrow?

The treasonous Tea Party will do whatever it takes to destroy America.
Treason? You of course have evidence of high crimes, misdemeanors and aid and comfort to the enemy, right?

I can't wait to see what pops out of your ass on this one.

True. We could straiten out the whole mess by cutting spending, increasing revenue, or a combination of the two. We choice to do none of the above.

Forum List

Back