Is Social Security Numbers a privacy threat?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
I think it is time to abandon the concept of a social security number since it is the one thing that permits identity scams to occur. Every known way that we have to identify ourselves is linked to that number so if a scam artist knows my name they can use that to discover my social security number and since every other piece of information about me is tied to that number they can then discover those items of information such as my credit card number, birthday, phone number, bank account number, and etc. Without this common identifier among the different sources of information both private and public it would be nearly impossible for a scam artist to discover other pieces of information about me that they can then use in an identity scam.

I ask is it time to abandon this number scheme?

I think it is probably time.

I believe, to actually steal your identity, they need your date of birth. In fact, you don't even need the SS # if you have DOB and mothers maiden name. You take that to an SS office and request a new card and you have successfully stolen an identity. You may have to fake an ID card to get that SS number.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I think it is probably time.

I believe, to actually steal your identity, they need your date of birth. In fact, you don't even need the SS # if you have DOB and mothers maiden name. You take that to an SS office and request a new card and you have successfully stolen an identity. You may have to fake an ID card to get that SS number.

Not all information about you is stored in an identical way. Most might use mothers maiden name and DOB but others may not. This prevents the identity scamers to use that information from accessing databases about you that don't use that but a single S.S. number for everything allows them to access your data from one database to another.

• Banned
I think all republicans should refuse their Social Security.

I'd be happy to if the fucking government would give me back all the money they took from me for the ultimate Ponzi scam.

There is also another obstical and that is so many other things required by law need a social security number. When you apply for job the state demands a S.S. number, when you apply for a driver's license, when you pay your taxes, and etc, etc, and more etc. They got us locked so that not only can private individuals trace but so can the government which is probably why the invented Social Security numbers to begin with.

New Topics

Forum List

Back