Is Sharing Netflix Passwords a Crime?

P@triot

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2011
United States
I personally believe that this problem needs to be solved through technology (and should be solved that way). Nearly all Apple products now include biometric security hardware. If technologies such as NetFlix, Amazon, etc. replace passwords with biometric authentication then password sharing / stealing concerns go away.

And as far as family goes - they could just allow one account to register the biometric data of additional family members (say up to 3 or something and they could even require proof of "dependency" for children like insurance companies do). In any case - government regulation is not the answer to this problem. They simply do not have the authority to tell me that I cannot give my password to someone.

Sharing Netflix Passwords Could Be Interpreted As a Crime

Last edited:
I personally believe that this problem needs to be solved through technology (and should be solved that way). Nearly all Apple products now include biometric security hardware. If technologies such as NetFlix, Amazon, etc. replace passwords with biometric authentication then password sharing / stealing concerns go away.

And as far as family goes - they could just allow one account to register the biometric data of additional family members (say up to 3 or something and they could even require proof of "dependency" for children like insurance companies do). In any case - government regulation is not the answer to this problem. They simply do not have the authority to tell me that I cannot give my password to someone.

So tell me how do you place bio-metric devices on all the TVs and DVRs capable of streaming that already exist ? And who will pay for it?

This is nothing but more shit the government dreams up that it cannot enforce

And do you really want to live in a world where you have to prove to a business that your children are yours just so they can watch TV?

Cant use someones password, but stupidity can get you out of criminal charges.. America!

So tell me how do you place bio-metric devices on all the TVs and DVRs capable of streaming that already exist ? And who will pay for it?

And do you really want to live in a world where you have to prove to a business that your children are yours just so they can watch TV?
All cable boxes and devices already have anti-piracy crap installed. Look it up.

Dude...who said anything about "watching tv"? You don't have to have a NetFlix subscription if you're not willing to agree to their terms.

o they just lost a bunch of money due to their rate increase....on old customers......i kept my account and gave my son my password....fuck em....they showing a lost for this quarter...not going well with customers or stock holders

o they just lost a bunch of money due to their rate increase....on old customers......i kept my account and gave my son my password....fuck em....they showing a lost for this quarter...not going well with customers or stock holders
Well this does go beyond NetFlix. It applies to any digital service. Amazon. Hulu. iTunes. Etc.

And I'm not sure customer dissatisfaction justifies potential criminal acts. If you're so unhappy - why not just cancel the service?

If Netflix says you can't give out your PW, then giving it out and having it used is theft of services.

All cable boxes and devices already have anti-piracy crap installed. Look it up.
Bio metric devices were specifically mentioned

why don't you read the posts

i am not unhappy and i see zero issue with sharing with family
Neither does Netflix. They have no problem with sharing with your spouse or children. They do, however, have a problem with you sharing passwords with your neighbors, your friends, your siblings who live in another state, etc. That's the issue.

i am not unhappy and i see zero issue with sharing with family
Neither does Netflix. They have no problem with sharing with your spouse or children. They do, however, have a problem with you sharing passwords with your neighbors, your friends, your siblings who live in another state, etc. That's the issue.
And Netflix is right to be concerned.

Expanded sharing is theft of services, period.

You gotta pay for extra screens = not a crime.
If you are saying avoiding paying when you should, yeah, it's a crime.

What? If you are paying for 4 screens, it is obvious that you have permission for 4 different people to watch them.
No, you and your family can access four screens. You have no authority to allow other people to access them. And if you are charging a fee for people to look at your screens on Netflix, then you have committed a big time communications felony. You, Agit8r, are not the judge of what you can do; Netflix is.

Forum List

Back