Is secession really legally impossible?

This topic just makes me laugh. Ihope, you didn't get your hopes up did you?

If a state can legally secede from the country...

can't then a county legally secede from a state? ...or a township secede from a county...or me, with my paltry acre of land, secede from my township?

What legally prevents those secessions?

can't then a county legally secede from a state? ...or a township secede from a county...or me, with my paltry acre of land, secede from my township?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIfuaUTH9Y4]YouTube - THE A-TEAM intro[/ame]
:cool:

☭proletarian☭;2041065 said:
And if my new 'country' passes laws that conflict with the Constitution of the United States, am i obligated to obey them?

Are you obliged to follow the laws now?

You could do like everyone else and either try to change to the laws.

OR you could move to the US.

Or you could, being a loyalist, move to the US at the time cessation is declared.

I'm a US citizen living on US soil. I am under the protection of the US military in that regard, including protection from a foreign country annexing my property. There is NO constitutional process by which a foreign country can transform my property into foreign soil.

We're discussing secession. We're not talking about China annexing California.

☭proletarian☭;2041221 said:

:lol: Led by the Ghost of Stalin.

can't then a county legally secede from a state?

...or a township secede from a county...or me, with my paltry acre of land, secede from my township?

That's explicitly covered in the Constitution. See the part about a split splitting in two.

☭proletarian☭;2041235 said:

:lol: Led by the Ghost of Stalin.
Footnote: fuck Stalin

Your avatar is interesting. I had a talk with my daughter tonite about the causes and effects of the Russian Revolution (s).

I had to trim it. Originally, it showed him speaking, then people clapping and cheering... then starving children from the time of his policies' implementation (I believe they were taken during the Holodomor).

☭proletarian☭;2041065 said:
Are you obliged to follow the laws now?

You could do like everyone else and either try to change to the laws.

OR you could move to the US.

Or you could, being a loyalist, move to the US at the time cessation is declared.

I'm a US citizen living on US soil. I am under the protection of the US military in that regard, including protection from a foreign country annexing my property. There is NO constitutional process by which a foreign country can transform my property into foreign soil.

We're talking about NY becoming the equivalent of China by means of turning a large portion of U.S. soil into a foreign nation.

☭proletarian☭;2041230 said:

...or a township secede from a county...or me, with my paltry acre of land, secede from my township?

That's explicitly covered in the Constitution. See the part about a split splitting in two.

You'll have to elaborate on that. Make your own argument, don't expect me to make it for you.

Did anyone tell me how a seceding state can legally void the Constitutional obligation of its residents to pay federal income tax? Did I miss that?

Did anyone tell me how a seceding state can legally void the Constitutional obligation of its residents to pay federal income tax? Did I miss that?

A State can only leave the Union with the permission of the rest of the States. It would require action either via a Constitutional Amendment or an act of Congress. These people can bluster all they want, the simple fact is that no State is leaving this Country with out the permission of the rest of the States. Or by armed resistance that is successful.

It is ignored because it has nothing to do with the legal possibility of departure since the ability to survive on its own is not a of the amendment process itself. No other consideration for the passage of any amendment exist in article V other than 2/3 of the both house and senate and ratification by 3/4 of all states.

It would never pass if the State leaving is looking at a complete and immediate failure. It would also never pass without some sort of mechanism for shifting a reasonable amount of the debt onto the departing state.

That may seem like points that are unrelated, but when push comes to shove those factors would influence the decision. Texans, for example, won't be so happy to leave if they learn they're taking part of the Federal Debt with them on the way out. Nor are they likely to want to leave if doing so leaves the State of Texas at the mercy of the EU or China when the bill collectors come calling.

I wasn't in favor of the bailout, I don't see why I should have to pay the bill. Any state that leaves should list that in their reason for secession and they should refuse to pay any bill presented to them by the union. All senators who voted for it, in the state that secedes, should be shot immediately for treason to their state.

Be sure to explain that to the Chinese when they invade to collect your State's share of the Federal Debt. Or be sure to put that on your State's application for credit on the world market.

This seems to be getting lost, so I will be blunt:

If you think that by secession you can duck your share of the Federal debt, you are an idiot.

And if you think that the Federal Debt, and a State's fair share, won't impact the debate on secession, you're just delusional.

☭proletarian☭;2041230 said:

You'll have to elaborate on that. Make your own argument, don't expect me to make it for you.

So you've never read the Constitution.

That explains a few things.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

New Topics

Forum List

Back