Is secession really legally impossible?

Discussing the "legalities" of secession is absurd when stacked against the pragmatic reality of what would happen if a state tried to leave the union.

The concept is so tangential to the constitution, that it isn't adequately addressed. That's the truth, and don't shoot me full of a bunch of bullshit about the 10th amendment. It's kind of hard to use a document you are trying to absolve yourself form to make a proper legal argument.

Traitors deserve the cold steel. Just as they did in 1861. I could care less if that sentiment means the neo-secessionists call me dirty names.

I won't shed a tear for anyone that takes up arms against our country.

No name calling but while you are a member you can use whatever mechanism that membership affords to you such as amending the constitution to allow certain states to leave or even dissolve the compact itself. The nice thing about this is that it is a democratic choice of the participants since the amendment has to be approved of with the amendment process.

Sure. I fully agree that the constitution could be amended.

That is much more pragmatic than the knuckleheads who insist it's already there in the fine print.

At any rate, the constitution could be amended, but back on planet Earth.....................

[
Where are these obligations written in the constitution where it says a citizen is obliged to do this or that?

The Constitution is recognized as the supreme law of the land by those who ratified it.

You don't think so? Try not paying your income taxes. Try printing your own money.

☭proletarian☭;2037107 said:
The law means nothing next to the rights of men.

I have a right to my U. S. citizenship. The state of New York does not have the right to secede and take that away from me.

☭proletarian☭;2037685 said:
☭proletarian☭;2037556 said:
What about in 1776?

As one of those guys said, we can hang together or hang separately ( or however that went) They knew that what they were doing was seriously criminal.

Was it just?

That's just gibberish.

Is that a 'no'?

Was there something wrong with the previous thread on this exact subject that ended a few days back?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/105280-is-secession-legal.html

I don't remember but since everyone wants to deny the tenth amendment right then I thought of a way to short-circuit those arguments by saying that we can amend the constitution to allow for certain states to seceede or to even dissolve the whole thing if we wanted to. This is not to say I want to but jus to say that it is possible.

I have a right to my U. S. citizenship. The state of New York does not have the right to secede and take that away from me.

The state of NY's departure does not remove your citizenship of the United States because you can have dual citizenships. One being a member of the newly created New York nation and that of the United States. Its no different than citizens that hold dual citizenships today.

hey fails , bring it on, as the blowhard cowboy would say

I didn't say I wanted to leave. I was just saying that this nation a voluntary union of states since an amendment can remove a state or states from the union.

Agh... back to this again. I remember the last time there was BIG talk of secession. It was what? 1861.

Yeah, that was a good year for "freedom".

Well... for some people.:lol:

What happens if a majority of voters think otherwise?

Then you would still be forcing the minority of the population to betray their country.

The state of NY's departure does not remove your citizenship of the United States because you can have dual citizenships. One being a member of the newly created New York nation and that of the United States. Its no different than citizens that hold dual citizenships today.

What about my wife?

She was born in New York, but she now lives in Maine.

Would that mean that she'd have triple citizenship: natural-born American, natural-born New York, and naturalized New Englander?

That's a lot of passports!

How about if the majority of states voted to kick a state out, even if that state did not want to secede?

Forum List

Back