Is science the only way to gain knowledge?

Lets just all agree that the fighting and bickering on this subject will not end. The only people who know the truth are those who have died. Either they are in some form of an afterlife or they are dust. There is no way to prove one is truly superior to the other at the time being so if you don't believe the other side either suck it up, smile, and tell them they are entitled to their beliefs as long as you are allowed to have yours.. OR sit down, shush up, and stop trying to validate because it makes both sides look silly! :tongue:

There is arises inefficiency in waiting for a scientific proof for something. Also, what about the authority that conducted the experiment, can you take their word at face value, or must you run the tests yourself??

Finally, there is something not quite "kosher" about the natural sciences and empirical evidence. It tends to suggests that all the information of the observed is known, yet even the applied scientists will find and address errors in their tests and try to suggest mistakes on their part. Is it really mistakes on their part? Or could it indicate something that, as of present, unknown to the scientists and may need further invesitgation?

Normally, if the 'error' keep arising after repeated tests, some scientist will ask "Why the hell this keeps happening?". Thus science shows its flexibility to acquire what we do not know by encouraging questions!! The scientists will never claim he/she knows all the answers, but will seek means on how to gain answers to the questions at hand. Compare this with theologians and their assumption that all the answers can be found within their belief system. Ask yourself, who is really being honest?

Remember the claims, some years ago, that cold fusion had been discovered? It didn't take long for it to be debunked. The same method that led researchers to believe they'd discovered cold fusion was the same method that found they erred. How can that not be "kosher"?

I've heard the voice of the Lord. I've felt His power. Yet, I am supposed to continue questioning because someone else hasn't?
In my opinion, yes. Unless you can take somebody at random, give him or her an exact procedure to follow, and be able to guarantee with total confidence that this person will then hear the voice of God and feel His power.

Especially when I have explained multiple times the way they can do the same thing I have and they are unwilling to experiment on the Word?
I'm not aware of how to reproduce this type of experiment on different people and ensure the same result. I know many people who have been devout chrisitians for years, and none claims to have experienced a revelation of the kind you describe. Can it be measured somehow?

Is it speculation after you experience it? Is it science? No. but its personal eye witness experience that can be shared and believed or disbelieved. If I see so and so rob a bank, but science can't prove he did it, am I any less wrong, even if no one believes me? Am I suddenly imagining things? Do I know the truth any less?
This has already been addressed, but at most you believe that the person robbed the bank. You could be mistaken about what you saw for a slew of possible reasons.

Forum List

Back