Is Romney up to the task of running against Obama?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I'm really beginning to have some doubts. Flashbacks of McCains terrible campaign.

I hear pro Obama and anti Romney ads regularly. But not hardly a peep or response from Romney. Some of the anti Romney ads are pretty ruthless and will serve to put Romney in a box he can't get out of if he doesn't start firing back. He won't win from a defensive position. He must put forth his own attacks and positive agenda. If he spends all his time on defense he is toast.

He has plenty of ammunition. Hopefully he doesn't squander it like he did the SCOTUS ruling.

• Banned
He NEEDS to start laying out his intentions. Full-stop, period. Being "anybody but Obama" will not be enough.

Agreed. Some of Romney's poll numbers on people's confidence in him to fix the economy are dismal. Especially in the so called swing states.

It says a lot about the GOP if they can't even beat Obama.

I honestly don't know what it will take to beat some sense into this crop of UnConservatives. I would like to believe getting their asses handed to them by Obama, again, would wake them up to just how diseased and sick they are, but I am too cynical at this point.

He NEEDS to start laying out his intentions. Full-stop, period. Being "anybody but Obama" will not be enough.

Agreed. Some of Romney's poll numbers on people's confidence in him to fix the economy are dismal. Especially in the so called swing states.

He has stated (will find the quote if I must) that he's not going to share his plans, because then they can be held against him or some such.

• Banned

I honestly don't know what it will take to beat some sense into this crop of UnConservatives. I would like to believe getting their asses handed to them by Obama, again, would wake them up to just how diseased and sick they are, but I am too cynical at this point.

I like what I'm hearing from my local representatives but it doesn't seem to be translating to a national position. I feel confident we can take McCaskills seat but we need much more than that.

I'm really beginning to have some doubts. Flashbacks of McCains terrible campaign.

I hear pro Obama and anti Romney ads regularly. But not hardly a peep or response from Romney. Some of the anti Romney ads are pretty ruthless and will serve to put Romney in a box he can't get out of if he doesn't start firing back. He won't win from a defensive position. He must put forth his own attacks and positive agenda. If he spends all his time on defense he is toast.

He has plenty of ammunition. Hopefully he doesn't squander it like he did the SCOTUS ruling.

A positive agenda....that would be good to see. Jackson (the poster) listed some of his plans. It sounds like what Bush 43 did with a few differences. Romney is pro nuclear which is good to see. His idea to have Congress ratify any regulation that will seriously effect the economy is a winner.

But by and large, he's is exactly what the Obama campaign is saying he is; sort of this Bizarro Robin Hood who will cut taxes on the rich, cut services to the poor and the middle class, decrease regulation and enforcement and we'll end up with more bubbles as a result.

The Governor's big problem is that he can't really play the defensive game that well. On almost any national issue, Obama can rightly say, "My opponent flip flopped" and he'll be correct. Which means Governor Romney's offensive and positive games must be all that much more lethal. His charisma certainly isn't going to carry the day.

• Banned

He has stated (will find the quote if I must) that he's not going to share his plans, because then they can be held against him or some such.

Maybe its a regional thing and since I'm not in one of the sought after swing states his plans just haven't made it to the airways here yet. The only ones mentioning Obama at this point are congressional candidates.

I would like a link to that statement though so I can shoot Romney a quick email about how stupid that position is, if in fact it is not taken out of context.
He did initially release his 7300000 step plan which of course was ridiculous. No one is going to read all that shit.

It doesn't happen often in the nation but we may be seeing the end of the Republican party as we know it.

Lets pretend Obama wasn't President and all you could look at is Governor Romney, his values, his record, and his plans. Would you know right away--without dithering--that he was a Republican?

Is Romney up to the task of running against Obama?

No.

The irony is, however, if Romney were to be Romney and acknowledge his true nature as a bleeding-heart liberal, he’d stand a slightly better chance.

Most voters will reject Romney because they accurately perceive him as a phony.

I think Romney will probably start full scale attacks by the end of the month if you start that to early what impact they have could easily have worn off by election time I figure you want to save your best stuff till the conventions when people are really paying attention and they have maximum effect. Look at the real clear politics polls they have the difference being a 2-3 point one favoring Obama with Rasmussen calling it tied and Fox showing Obama with a five point lead if Romney can keep it here or have a lead going into the conventions he will be in a good position but suffice it to say a lot can happen between now and then to mess up both candidates.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Romney vs. Obama

I don't know if he's up to the task of running against Obama, but like Obama, he can try. :lmao:

Last edited:

I would accept that for the Primary run.But that has been over for a bit.
Maybe his plan is to go all out after the convention.
He better get something going.
I voted for McCain.Romney better give me a few reasons to vote for him or I'm sitting
this one out.

Now is the time to stand up walk to the podium so to speak and
be as specific as possible on how he will take this country and get it going.

I think Romney will probably start full scale attacks by the end of the month if you start that to early what impact they have could easily have worn off by election time I figure you want to save your best stuff till the conventions when people are really paying attention and they have maximum effect. Look at the real clear politics polls they have the difference being a 2-3 point one favoring Obama with Rasmussen calling it tied and Fox showing Obama with a five point lead if Romney can keep it here or have a lead going into the conventions he will be in a good position but suffice it to say a lot can happen between now and then to mess up both candidates.

Those are national polls though. Utterly meaningless when you consider it will be a handful of states that decide the election. And in those states Romney's numbers are not good. In a couple of the swing states his approval numbers are in the mid twenties. That's a death sentence.

Those are national polls though. Utterly meaningless when you consider it will be a handful of states that decide the election. And in those states Romney's numbers are not good. In a couple of the swing states his approval numbers are in the mid twenties. That's a death sentence.

Could be but I doubt Romney has really started going after Obama in them yet one thing to remember unlike 2008 Romney will have no shortage of money as McCain did. I agree Romney needs to start laying his vision out and showing the differences between him and Obama but I don't think the situation is as dire as some make it out to be.

I don't know if he's up to the task of running against Obama, but like Obama, he can try. :lmao:

Thats true, you've got to be in it to win it:::he's in it so either he or President Obama will be sworn in this coming January of course.

If I were a supporter of Governor Romney, what would worry me is that there is absolutely no downside to campaigning now.

It isn't as if he is going to run out of money in the general election. So it's not a financial decision.

There is a school of thought that there can be some sort of, for lack of a better term, "overkill" by the repeated exposure to the same messages over and over and that the listener tunes them out. However, just like any baseball team that has supposedly tuned out it's manager; that is a subjective thing. Starting in September my "lose" the same voters that you would have lost in July. So I doubt it is an "overkill" decision he is making.

Additionally, the influx of money from the Citizens United case is going to create overkill on it's own later in the year. These (supposedly) lesser funded entities will keep their powder dry until after Labor Day so why not spend some of your campaign money now? I doubt that it is a matter of an amateur mistake--Governor Romney has been running for about a decade now.

What would worry me is that if the old adage is right--that adage being that there are only 2 things that stops politicians from doing what they want; money and politics--the Governor's problem is political and that he can't effectively take that many stands at this stage in the election because he has been all over the map in the not-too-distant past.

After a week of being mercilessly pounded on Bain and basically just ignoring it except for demanding an apology, I thought this thread was worth bumping.

Romney isn't a very solid candidate, and that's just how it is. He's got a tough road ahead of him if he hopes to win the election, and I don't think he'll be able to pull it off.

Let's remember he wasn't good enough 4 years ago to even get the nominee over someone who had little chance to beat Obama.

I like what I'm hearing from my local representatives but it doesn't seem to be translating to a national position. I feel confident we can take McCaskills seat but we need much more than that.

It's July. We haven't had the conventions yet and you're already whining like a little girl. Grow a fucking spine, man.

Forum List

Back