Is Rick Perry Dumb?

Is Rick Perry dumb? - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

Strip away the euphemisms and Rick Perry is confronting an unavoidable question: Is he dumb — or just “misunderestimated?”

Doubts about Perry’s intellect have hounded him since he was first elected as a state legislator nearly three decades ago. In Austin, he’s been derided as a right-place, right-time pol who looks the part but isn’t so deep — “Gov. Goodhair.” Now, with the chatter picking back up among his enemies and taking flight in elite Republican circles, the rap threatens to follow him to the national stage.

“He’s like Bush only without the brains,” cracked one former Republican governor who knows Perry, repeating a joke that has made the rounds.

Read more: Is Rick Perry dumb? - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

I don't think he's that dumb but a definate Bush clone. Whoda thunk becoming W light could turn out to be strategy for anyone. Especially so soon after the failures the gop called presidential terms.

Perry is not ‘dumb,’ he is ignorant, however – very GWB-like in his contempt for all things ‘intellectual.’ Perry is a political animal who survives on a blend of instinct, luck, and arrogance, particularly the arrogance of his faith, which is of greatest concern.

I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise. The point I was making is that these aren't 'stupid mistakes'. Perry knew damned well that the interviewer was asking him why the abstinence education wasn't working - but instead he feigned ignorance and focused on a different question: whether or not abstinence itself works. I don't think Bush, or Perry, are overly intelligent. But neither are they stupid. The 'gee, golly' dipshit act is ruse to avoid answering difficult questions without sounding dismissive.

Correct.

Of course, as noted, this makes it difficult to address the meaningful questions and important issues.

The guy is brilliant. He has the flag waving dupes wrapped around his wiener.Embrace your next pResident.He's what murka deserves.
Prayz Geeziss

And this works perfectly against the wordy, nerdy liberals who over-analyze everything and focus only on the facts and issues.

Strip away the euphemisms and Rick Perry is confronting an unavoidable question: Is he dumb — or just “misunderestimated?”

Doubts about Perry’s intellect have hounded him since he was first elected as a state legislator nearly three decades ago. In Austin, he’s been derided as a right-place, right-time pol who looks the part but isn’t so deep — “Gov. Goodhair.” Now, with the chatter picking back up among his enemies and taking flight in elite Republican circles, the rap threatens to follow him to the national stage.

“He’s like Bush only without the brains,” cracked one former Republican governor who knows Perry, repeating a joke that has made the rounds.

Strange.

Perry has been in politics for 30 years, and he is suddenly losing IQ points because he is running against the ONE.

Naw.

He running for the President of all the states. You know..the ones that are near the Republic of Texas?

:lol:

This is the same hack writer who went after "Joe The Plumber" after Joe tricked Obama into showing his true colors about "redistributing the wealth".

But in five pages of qualifications, he does admit that Perry has been an effective governor and admits he gets what he needs when dealing with a problem.

A point here. Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama were praised for their intellect and intelligence, but they were the least effective presidents of my lifetime. (not Good or Bad, but EFFECTIVE is my point here.) They were unable to get things done even when their own party controlled congress.

Lyndon Johnson and Ronald Reagan were never considered intellectuals, but they were effective presidents because they knew how to work the system. (Again, not arguing idealogy here, I'm arguing the ability to get things done.)

Hey Conservatives! A couple of questions, if you please.

Why the contempt for intellect? You championed George W. Bush, Sarah Palin, Christine O'Donnell, Michelle Bachmann and now Rick Perry. None of these folks can be considered a deep, intellectual thinker who is naturally curious and willing to consider other view points. When we did elect an anti-intellectual (Bush 43) things did not turn out well. Why try it again?

Why the mistrust of science? Science has shown that we can harm our planet by polluting, yet you dismiss the science. Why? I'm guessing that such findings might cut into the profits of private corporations. This further allows me to conclude that, by this reasoning, profits are more important than health. Science shows that mankind was not deposited on this planet wholly formed and developed, but evolved through the ages. Why dismiss this science? My guess is that such science insults your notion that God created mankind as he appears today.

Why do you avoid the tried and true American political tradition of compromise? The very constitution we all venerate was born from compromise. Yet your contemporary politics shows clearly that petulance trumps accomplishment and stubbornness is valued over co-operation.

Worse than "dumb". He knows better and plays to weak minded people. He is dangerously willfully ignorant.

Why the contempt for intellect? You championed George W. Bush, Sarah Palin, Christine O'Donnell, Michelle Bachmann and now Rick Perry. None of these folks can be considered a deep, intellectual thinker who is naturally curious and willing to consider other view points. When we did elect an anti-intellectual (Bush 43) things did not turn out well. Why try it again?

Why the mistrust of science? Science has shown that we can harm our planet by polluting, yet you dismiss the science. Why? I'm guessing that such findings might cut into the profits of private corporations. This further allows me to conclude that, by this reasoning, profits are more important than health. Science shows that mankind was not deposited on this planet wholly formed and developed, but evolved through the ages. Why dismiss this science? My guess is that such science insults your notion that God created mankind as he appears today.

Why do you avoid the tried and true American political tradition of compromise? The very constitution we all venerate was born from compromise. Yet your contemporary politics shows clearly that petulance trumps accomplishment and stubbornness is valued over co-operation.

They are all well educated individuals and you opt to base their level of intelligence on a variety of gaffes and a multitude of assumptions.

SO lets see what we have now.

A true academic. Well educated, but laden with gaffes as well...(57 states and corpse-man as an example)

But we do not define him as "dumb". We define him as an intellectual academci type who had some gaffes.

But putting that aside....hows that intellectual academic type doing for us???????

Yeah yeah,....I know...he won the nobel peace prize, killed OBL and made the rfight call in Libya.

SO how is that job market doing?

Millions of average Americans making individual decisions in a free market are collectively infinitely smarter than a handful of 'brilliant' intellectuals trying to micro manage a population by substituting their wisdom for individual decision making. Perry is smart enough to understand this, which makes him intellectually superior to Obama.

Obama is the poster child for what an educated idiot looks like: "When you lead according theoretical ideals, instead of practical common sense solutions" .

yeah..and now he briongs another academci into the fold to run his finance team.

He just doesnt get it.

You need to think like a business owner to be able to anticipate what a business owner will do.

You mean like this Republican?

Jeffrey R. Immelt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let the Demonization begin!! :lol:

Oh that smells like some serious bait (considering Immelt's behaviors and comments sound more democrat than republican, notice i didn't use liberal or conservative ;))

Millions of average Americans making individual decisions in a free market are collectively infinitely smarter than a handful of 'brilliant' intellectuals trying to micro manage a population by substituting their wisdom for individual decision making. Perry is smart enough to understand this, which makes him intellectually superior to Obama.
Well, that "free market" sounds great at its face, but we all know that's not the case, don't we? Ever try to open a bicycle store, a pharmacy, a bakery where there's a Wal*Mart in the same market? Seems that "free" market has advantages for Wal*Mart that a small, independent entrepreneur just cannot enjoy. And that's because the market has been managed to skew the advantages to those who can afford to buy legislators, both Democrat and Republican.

Maybe someone with a large enough intellect to understand that would make the necessary adjustments to correct the imbalance. Or, we can try folksy, ideologues who fear compromise and are, therefore susceptible to the monied influences.

They are all well educated individuals and you opt to base their level of intelligence on a variety of gaffes and a multitude of assumptions.

A true academic. Well educated, but laden with gaffes as well...(57 states and corpse-man as an example)

But we do not define him as "dumb". We define him as an intellectual academci type who had some gaffes.

But putting that aside....hows that intellectual academic type doing for us???????

Yeah yeah,....I know...he won the nobel peace prize, killed OBL and made the rfight call in Libya.

Not just the gaffes (which reveal more about the intellectual capacity than is betrayed on the surface) but the policy positions. Anti-science for example. That betrays a lack of depth of thinking that cannot serve a decision maker well.

Well, that "free market" sounds great at its face, but we all know that's not the case, don't we? Ever try to open a bicycle store, a pharmacy, a bakery where there's a Wal*Mart in the same market? Seems that "free" market has advantages for Wal*Mart that a small, independent entrepreneur just cannot enjoy. And that's because the market has been managed to skew the advantages to those who can afford to buy legislators, both Democrat and Republican.

Maybe someone with a large enough intellect to understand that would make the necessary adjustments to correct the imbalance. Or, we can try folksy, ideologues who fear compromise and are, therefore susceptible to the monied influences.

there are many, such as myself, that prefer the local bakery, bike store and pharmacy.
The local bakery offers slightly higher prices, but much more personal service.
The local pharmacy offers slightly higher prices, but always has in stock what I need.
The local bike shop will repair my new bike if needed for free without my having to "ship it back"

And then there are the less fiancnailly fortunate that prefer the lower prices....such is why Walmart works well for all.

We have 4 CVS's within a 1 mile radius...yet the local pharmcay (Levins) has been around for 50 years...and is still there doing fine.

You are stuck on talking points.

Not just the gaffes (which reveal more about the intellectual capacity than is betrayed on the surface) but the policy positions. Anti-science for example. That betrays a lack of depth of thinking that cannot serve a decision maker well.

Anti science is a talking point.

Belief in a faith is widesporead and international amongst dozens of different beliefs.

I understand evolution..but prefer to belkieve in a higher being.

It does not mean I am anti science...it simply means that I enjoy having faith in my life.

But when push comes to shove, I will allow science to dictate a major decision....

You just like to throw around talking points to make a candidate look silly.

Independent Bicycle stores, bakeries and pharmacies are all over where I live.

I can't get Cannondale parts, craft-baked bread or specialty compounded fertilty drugs at WALMART.

Independent Bicycle stores, bakeries and pharmacies are all over where I live.

I can't get Cannondale parts, craft-baked bread or specialty compounded fertilty drugs at WALMART.

yes...I agree...

We have target stores, CVS's, Home Depot's...we have them all..

But you walk donw our "main street" and we have every local store you can imagine...from hardware to bicycle, to bakery, to pizza, etc....

That whole "walmart" thing is a talking poiint with absolutely no basis.

there are many, such as myself, that prefer the local bakery, bike store and pharmacy.
The local bakery offers slightly higher prices, but much more personal service.
The local pharmacy offers slightly higher prices, but always has in stock what I need.
The local bike shop will repair my new bike if needed for free without my having to "ship it back"

And then there are the less fiancnailly fortunate that prefer the lower prices....such is why Walmart works well for all.

We have 4 CVS's within a 1 mile radius...yet the local pharmcay (Levins) has been around for 50 years...and is still there doing fine.

You are stuck on talking points.
I think it's great that you can enjoy a choice in shops and services. I wonder how many small, family owned businesses fail after a big box store moves in just outside town?

It's an example of supply side economics. Coddle the biggest and, with a little faith, luck and chance, the small fry might, just might be able to withstand the wake of the passing mega ship.

Forum List

Back