Is religious liberty an absolute right?

Of course not. There are no absolute rights. Rights exist only with the proviso that they not be exercised so as to infringe the rights of others.

Seems to be what the politically motivated Rightwing believes, on this contraceptive issue.

Anyone?

Like all rights, free exercise of religious belief is limited by the essential rights of others. This is why it is not a violation of the First Amendment to ban practices like female genital mutilation, or to prosecute dangerous exorcisms.

Aside from concerns about public safety and infringement upon other people's rights, yes. The rights protected by the US Constitution are, by definition, absolute.

And no, no one is infringing on anyone's rights by refusing to buy them birth control. There is no right whatsoever to have birth control purchased for you by other people.

The politically motivated left wing hacks (like the idiot author of the OP) seem to imagine that there is no issue or thing on which the commands of the Constitution might be absolute.

We all know that there ARE some things which a person cannot do -- even for true reasons of religious faith. Like, if your religious belief says you must kill a Jew, fuck yourself. You are properly and validly denied that "right" by the government.

On the other hand, there ARE some things which the GOVERNMENT may not do at all, on the ground that the First Amendment flatly and unequivocally DENIES them ANY authority to do so.

Thus, the government is TOTALLY lacking in ANY authority (that means "none whatsoever," as in "absolute") to tell me what religion I may have or to deny me the ability to be a member of the religion I choose.

That is pretty fucking absolute. In fact it is absolute. Period.

I am quite sure this does away with SimplyAssholic's current disingenuous quibble.

When it comes to acting in ways contrary to the national mores like Peyote or polyandry, no. You don't have first amendment right to human sacrifice.

However, the government can't compel you to go to a church you don't want to. Nor can they force you to do something fundamentally wrong. The government has no right to make Sunni Man eat that nice ham smothered in cheese sauce or give up his right to drive or vote or whatever.

Nor does the government have the right to make him sell bacon and ribs at his grocery store even if he takes food stamps and his customers want it.

Of course not. There are no absolute rights. Rights exist only with the proviso that they not be exercised so as to infringe the rights of others.

What right does not providing birth control infringe on?

BTW, I congratulate you on getting the question on the limits of rights correct.

BTW, I congratulate you on getting the question on the limits of rights correct.

Some people are quick to see the infringement on their rights. Sadly, they are less concerned when the rights of others are infringed.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

When it comes to acting in ways contrary to the national mores like Peyote or polyandry, no. You don't have first amendment right to human sacrifice.

However, the government can't compel you to go to a church you don't want to. Nor can they force you to do something fundamentally wrong. The government has no right to make Sunni Man eat that nice ham smothered in cheese sauce or give up his right to drive or vote or whatever.

Nor does the government have the right to make him sell bacon and ribs at his grocery store even if he takes food stamps and his customers want it.

But wait.
The government can force me to purchase health insurance, what is to stop them from forcing me to buy "healthy" foods or participate in some form of "healthy" religion?

Seems to be what the politically motivated Rightwing believes, on this contraceptive issue.

Anyone?

Politically motivated, religiously motivated or morally motivated? Regardless of the reason, does the parent of a minor child have the right to enforce or restrict contraception for their minor child? I damn sure know the government shouldn't be granted that authority over minor children much less adults.

Aside from concerns about public safety and infringement upon other people's rights, yes. The rights protected by the US Constitution are, by definition, absolute.

Incorrect.

No right is absolute, including a fundamental right. The state may preempt any right provided it has a compelling reason, it’s rationally based, and there exists objective supporting evidence.

The state may not promote religion, nor may it restrict the practice thereof, outside the limits established by Constitutional case law.

But wait.
The government can force me to purchase health insurance, what is to stop them from forcing me to buy "healthy" foods or participate in some form of "healthy" religion?

The government forces no one to buy health insurance. The rest of the post is idiocy.

Some people are quick to see the infringement on their rights. Sadly, they are less concerned when the rights of others are infringed.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Which is exactly why I am vehemently defending the rights of the Catholic Church on the birth control issue, even though I myself am not a Catholic, regularly used birth control when I was younger, and had myself sterilized after my third child was born: because if I stand by and silent while the religious freedoms of Catholics are attacked, mine WILL be next.

Incorrect.

No right is absolute, including a fundamental right. The state may preempt any right provided it has a compelling reason, it’s rationally based, and there exists objective supporting evidence.

And what, pray tell, constitutes a "compelling reason" for the government to interfere in a Constitutional right? Hmmm. That would be when the exercise of it infringes on someone else's rights, wouldn't it? So basically, you haven't contradicted a single fucking thing I said, have you?

The state may not promote religion, nor may it restrict the practice thereof, outside the limits established by Constitutional case law.

But wait.

The government forces no one to buy health insurance. The rest of the post is idiocy.

The government is going to force us to buy health insurance, and you know it, so stop with the disingenuous pretense that they won't just because the law hasn't taken effect yet.

And while we're at it, if you're too goddamned lazy to answer posts individually, don't answer them at all. This cramming-two-different-people's-posts-together bullshit is rude and makes your posts more incomprehensible than they otherwise would be. And believe me, your posts don't need THAT.

A right to birth control, obviously. Duh!

Why? Because if I don't buy the slut her birth control, she's incapable of getting it at all? Christ, the bitch has a job, or she wouldn't have health insurance. So you can't tell me she doesn't have any income with which to buy her own damned birth control!

Anyone?

Politically motivated, religiously motivated or morally motivated? Regardless of the reason, does the parent of a minor child have the right to enforce or restrict contraception for their minor child? I damn sure know the government shouldn't be granted that authority over minor children much less adults.
Who are you and what have you done with alan~?

Forum List

Back