Is Religion Racist?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Saw this on the net...

"SHORT QUESTION: Are religious-intolerant remarks akin to a racist or sexist remarks?

LONG QUESTION: I was reading my local Sunday paper and came about an advice column. The person is seeking advice in response to a friend. They had been close growing up but had grown apart. The advice-seeker married a "nice Jewish boy" (her words) while her friend married an Evangelical Christian and became a missionary. I'm going off of the assumption that the advice-seeker is (or at least grew up as a) Christian too.

The friend sent the woman a book about accepting and living an evangelical lifestyle, and has been, over the years, expressed concerns about the woman's lifestyle (including marrying a non-Christian). The woman was writing in to ask advice on how to deal with the friend and what she should do about the book. At the end of her letter, she mentions that her teenage son "believe this is no different from a racist or sexist remark."

What do you think? Do you think this kind of religious intolerance is on the same level as sexism or racism? If the woman had married a man of a different race and the friend was concerned about her "lifestyle choices" that would clearly be racist but can the idea still apply when it comes to religion?"
thequestionclub: SHORT QUESTION: Are religious-intolerant

Actually, yes.

In fact, it could be worst than a sexist or racist remark when you are friends and you know each others religion yet you are trying to convert them! That is akin to suggesting that they need some type of improvement, and it has to do with their religious beliefs. Beliefs most likely handed down to them by their parents with a vibrant history of their family tied in with the practice of their religion.

It is kind of like when an Atheist post disparaging remarks about a religion, except the atheist was considered a friend that understood your emotional connection to your faith. I bet it would feel like you are being betrayed by some horrible jackass.

Now i am going to be a horrible jackass on a Cammmpbel thread.

Racism is a belief that one RACE is superior to other races. Religion may be about one religion better then others but it is NOT the same concept or problem except for the very delusional. And then the problem is the person is nuts.

Racism is a belief that one RACE is superior to other races. Religion may be about one religion better then others but it is NOT the same concept or problem except for the very delusional. And then the problem is the person is nuts.

But is not thinking ones religion is superior to anothers a form of theological bigotry?

Depending on the emotional connections a person formed to their beliefs systems, insulting their beliefs could be more painful than a racist or sexist comment.

There may exist deep ties between a persons identity and their religious beliefs.

Hmph, kind of strange that I am saying this and I tend to argue with christian posters about the miracles they believe in.

I wonder, am I a Theological bigot?

Saw this on the net...

"SHORT QUESTION: Are religious-intolerant remarks akin to a racist or sexist remarks?

LONG QUESTION: I was reading my local Sunday paper and came about an advice column. The person is seeking advice in response to a friend. They had been close growing up but had grown apart. The advice-seeker married a "nice Jewish boy" (her words) while her friend married an Evangelical Christian and became a missionary. I'm going off of the assumption that the advice-seeker is (or at least grew up as a) Christian too.

The friend sent the woman a book about accepting and living an evangelical lifestyle, and has been, over the years, expressed concerns about the woman's lifestyle (including marrying a non-Christian). The woman was writing in to ask advice on how to deal with the friend and what she should do about the book. At the end of her letter, she mentions that her teenage son "believe this is no different from a racist or sexist remark."

What do you think? Do you think this kind of religious intolerance is on the same level as sexism or racism? If the woman had married a man of a different race and the friend was concerned about her "lifestyle choices" that would clearly be racist but can the idea still apply when it comes to religion?"
thequestionclub: SHORT QUESTION: Are religious-intolerant

Really, a great thought provoker, thank you, baby! *hearts*

It is bigotry but not the same thing as racism or sexism. You can choose your religion, after all.

Some ,the ones that are most times,unless said religion has its roots in separation from others,have just perverted the original message.The teachings of Christ and the multitudes of interpretations is just one.

But is not thinking ones religion is superior to anothers a form of theological bigotry?

Depending on the emotional connections a person formed to their beliefs systems,insulting their beliefs could be more painful than a racist or sexist comment.

There may exist deep ties between a persons identity and their religious beliefs.

Hmph, kind of strange that I am saying this and I tend to argue with christian posters about the miracles they believe in.

I wonder, am I a Theological bigot?

1. "But is not thinking ones religion is superior to anothers a form of theological bigotry?"
Isn't it the quintessential characteristic of one's religion, at the time of adherence, to believe that "ones religion is superior to another's"?
And, to be a non-believer...doesn't that fit the same definition?

a. Couldn't you have the same objections to advertising?

b. To embrace tolerance is to cease to believe in anything.
Chesterton

2. "insulting their beliefs"
Shouldn't one view the efforts of a friend to "save" same in a more benign light?
...accepted in the same spirit in which it is meant?

And, wouldn't it be simply annoying if the "saver" persists...rather than insulting?
Wouldn't the correct response be 'Thank you for caring....but I've made my decision."
Firmly.

3. And isn't this very discussion an example of the secular view that religion should be frowned on in the public arena?

Atheists tend to be the most racist. Heck, look at Stalin.

Not sure that the following is considered 'racist,' but since you mention Stalin, it brings to mind this from chapter two of Berlinski's "The Devil's Delusion,"...

In 2007, physicists Steven Weinberg addressed the “Beyond Belief: Science, Religion, Reason, and Survival” conference. This Nobel Prize winner claimed “Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.” He was warmly applauded.

a. What was the religious provenance of poison gas, barbed wire, high explosives, experiments in eugenics, Zyklon B, heavy artillery, napalm, nuclear weapons?

Atheists tend to be the most racist. Heck, look at Stalin.

Not sure that the following is considered 'racist,' but since you mention Stalin, it brings to mind this from chapter two of Berlinski's "The Devil's Delusion,"...

In 2007, physicists Steven Weinberg addressed the “Beyond Belief: Science, Religion, Reason, and Survival” conference. This Nobel Prize winner claimed “Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.” He was warmly applauded.

a. What was the religious provenance of poison gas, barbed wire, high explosives, experiments in eugenics, Zyklon B, heavy artillery, napalm, nuclear weapons?

Druids?

I don't think there is enough information to "know" with this article. Did the woman that sent the book "know" the other was going thru some tough emotional trial due to her choices (was her son raised with morals, or allowed to "decide for himself", and thus in trouble). Did she sense a willingness to take a second look at Christianity?

I try hard to be Christian; I do a pretty bad job. I think that other religions are missing some of the things that Christianity teaches. That being said: I read an article where a man tried to "trap" the Dali Lama. He asked him directly which religion is the best: the Dali Lama replied, the religion that brings you closer to the truth. I could not agree, more.

I enjoy speaking with people of different faiths (Christian or otherwise). I find that I usually learn something about them, their faith, myself and my faith just out of a simple conversation. I believe that Satan tries to divide us and has introduced many faiths to the world. I believe the Lord has used that because people learn differently. Maybe one day we will reject the portions of religion that teach it is acceptable to condemn or do violence on people of other faiths, and look, instead, to the productivity and hapiness of those that follow particular faiths to decide. It would make it harder to manipulate "the followers".

I don't think there is enough information to "know" with this article. Did the woman that sent the book "know" the other was going thru some tough emotional trial due to her choices (was her son raised with morals, or allowed to "decide for himself", and thus in trouble). Did she sense a willingness to take a second look at Christianity?

I try hard to be Christian; I do a pretty bad job. I think that other religions are missing some of the things that Christianity teaches. That being said: I read an article where a man tried to "trap" the Dali Lama. He asked him directly which religion is the best: the Dali Lama replied, the religion that brings you closer to the truth. I could not agree, more.

I enjoy speaking with people of different faiths (Christian or otherwise). I find that I usually learn something about them, their faith, myself and my faith just out of a simple conversation. I believe that Satan tries to divide us and has introduced many faiths to the world. I believe the Lord has used that because people learn differently. Maybe one day we will reject the portions of religion that teach it is acceptable to condemn or do violence on people of other faiths, and look, instead, to the productivity and hapiness of those that follow particular faiths to decide. It would make it harder to manipulate "the followers".

I love the spirit of your post, Logical...

and this:
Going to church doesn't make one a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes one a car.

Forum List

Back