Is Real Islam Inherently Violent

Redhots said:
But the fact is many churches do approve it, and that is what I thought we were talking about. Violent attitudes in each faith.

You say those aren't real christians though. Well I could say the same about muslims... but would you believe me?

We are talking about more than just violent ATTITUDES...we are talking about violent ACTIONS. I have seen many Muslim organizations claim responsibility for bombings, beheadings and kidnappings. The last "violent" act I heard claimed from the Christian side of the house was the Knights of Colombus dunking tank at the church fair.

By the way, can you show me a source that says CHristian religions endorse violence against Muslims? I am really curious.

We are talking about more than just violent ATTITUDES...we are talking about violent ACTIONS.

Which is why I brought up soldiers of a christian faith.

From here on out though i'll try to be a bit more conscience of the distinctions of the faiths that fall under the christian umbrella.

What i'm talking about mainly are evangelicals. Not that there aren't exceptions to be found elsewhere.

Only 14 percent of the U.S. population is evangelical Christian, compared to 40 percent of the military's active duty personnel. More than 60 percent of military chaplains are evangelicals.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4772331

That right there to me seens to be a religion advocating violence.

By the way, can you show me a source that says CHristian religions endorse violence against Muslims? I am really curious.

Not my position. I've been talking about violence in broad terms, not against any one specific thing or people.

I do wonder though out of the people in this thread and this forum (like rtwngAvngr for example) that advocate violence against muslims and / or islam how many of them are religious people themselves.

CSM said:
The last "violent" act I heard claimed from the Christian side of the house was the Knights of Colombus dunking tank at the church fair.

I know this is not very recent, but would the assasination of John Lennon count?

Nuc said:
I know this is not very recent, but would the assasination of John Lennon count?
I thought it had more to do with getting people to read, A Catcher In the Rye?

Redhots said:
But the fact is many churches do approve it, and that is what I thought we were talking about. Violent attitudes in each faith.

You say those aren't real christians though. Well I could say the same about muslims... but would you believe me?

Many Christian churches believe in supporting a just war, and/or the people who fight those wars. Christianity itself does not wage war, nor does it have the power to do so. Christianity does not condone war. Which Christian organization AS a Christian organization is waging war against ANYONE in the name of God?

Understanding the need for war and being willing to fight/support it does not necessarily mean anyone who beleives that is a "warmonger," or even necessarily violent. It just means they are willing to do what needs to be done when the time comes rather than fold their hands.

I'll refer you to my initial post. By their silence, nonviolent/moderate Muslims give approval of the actions of those who ARE waging a war in the name of their God, AS religious organizations.

And note the thread title. Even if some Muslims have evolved, Islam IS a violent religion. The answer in the Koran for almost anything Muslim's don't like is "kill it."

GunnyL said:
Here's where I have a problem with that ..... IF they are a "relative minority," as you say, then WHERE is the "relative MAJORITY?" IMO, silence is tantamount to approval.

You ask where the majority of muslims are. I will use Iraq as a microcasm. The majority of muslims in Iraq are voting in elections, even when faced with death threats from the relative minority. The majority of muslims are suffering cassualties in suicide bombings outside of mosques. The majority of muslims are living in fear of terrorism just like almost everyone else.

Redhots said:
Which is why I brought up soldiers of a christian faith.

From here on out though i'll try to be a bit more conscience of the distinctions of the faiths that fall under the christian umbrella.

What i'm talking about mainly are evangelicals. Not that there aren't exceptions to be found elsewhere.

Only 14 percent of the U.S. population is evangelical Christian, compared to 40 percent of the military's active duty personnel. More than 60 percent of military chaplains are evangelicals.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4772331

That right there to me seens to be a religion advocating violence.

Not my position. I've been talking about violence in broad terms, not against any one specific thing or people.

I do wonder though out of the people in this thread and this forum (like rtwngAvngr for example) that advocate violence against muslims and / or islam how many of them are religious people themselves.

As an evangelical Christian, please allow me to respond.

Most American evangelicals tend to be conservative. Also, many of us believe in Just War Theory, that under certain situations, nations are justified in fighting wars. That's how most evangelicals see this war. I know that in my own church, we have veterans of this conflict, and while we pray for their safety, we also pray for peace, and the protection of our nation. In no way are evangelicals "warmongers" (though I'm sure there are a few exceptions). And, to repeat Gunny's point, evangelical organizations aren't encouraging or urging war in the name of God.

Sorry everybody will fix this in 2017...
Obama: "Republican Base had been Fed this Notion that Islam is Inherently Violent"
March 30, 2016
Daniel Greenfield
161977_600.jpg

Oh my goodness.

"We got here in part because the Republican base had been fed this notion that Islam is inherently violent, that this is who these folks are. And if you’ve been hearing that a lot, and then somebody shows up on the scene and says, well, the logical conclusion to civilizational conflict is we try to make sure that we’re not destroyed internally by this foreign civilization, that’s what you get.”

Who could have fed the "Republican base" this ahistorical and utterly false notion that Islam is violent? Was it history? Current events? Theology?

Anyway Obama is here to clear this up right now.

The danger comes, Obama told me, when people apply lessons of the struggle against communism in the struggle against Islamist terrorism.

Remember when the left lied and said Communism wasn't a threat? Remember when they claimed Mao and the Viet Cong and the Sandinistas weren't bad guys? Just moderates we alienated by backing their opponents? Now they're telling the same exact lies about Islam.

Obama: "Republican Base had been Fed this Notion that Islam is Inherently Violent"

Forum List

Back