Is racism a problem in America?

Is racism a problem in America?

• Yes, it's worse than ever.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Yes, but we've come a long way.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Yes, but it's nearly gone.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, but we only just got things set right.

• No, the civil rights movement took care of it.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No, it's never been a problem.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who voted "worse than ever"? Racism today is worse than it was in the 19th century...?

I did. Today's racism is worse because it is more dishonest. Racist policies are passed in the name of racial equality and systems that keep the disadvantaged down are lauded as great equalizers

at least slave owners were honest :doubt:
Do you really believe that blacks were and still are inslaved in many parts of the world because of the color of their skin?

Racism is just a tool used to keep people divided. The real problems are class based, but so long as the working poor are blaming each other they cannot direct their anger at the appropriate targets. I have to say that while I do not like the TARP it has done more to help correct this problem than any voting rights act or NAACP.

Racism is a tool the LEFT NEEDS, period. That's why racism will NEVER fade away in this country........

The left certainly benefits from having the majority of minority voters cast their ballot in favor of the democrats. I'm not sure I agree that it's going to always be necessary. Minorities are going to be the majority before the end of my lifetime.

Racism is natural and occurs everywhere, even those who deny it. It's equality that should be concerned, but in the US we are all treated equally by the law regardless of racial traits so ... meh.

racism is not natural, it is not natural for some one to view someone else as inferior, besides race is not biological but socially defined.

Racism is natural and occurs everywhere, even those who deny it. It's equality that should be concerned, but in the US we are all treated equally by the law regardless of racial traits so ... meh.

No, we're not. Consider 'Affirmative Action' and the use of White Guilt by the Democrats

racism is not natural, it is not natural for some one to view someone else as inferior

Not as inferior, but as else or other than the self. 'us vs them' is very much a part of basic human nature

besides race is not biological but socially defined.

wrong. the major racial groups are distinguished by genetic differences (see: SNPs); social constructs overlap with them so much because racial differences are obvious even to children

No, we're not. Consider 'Affirmative Action' and the use of White Guilt by the Democrats

racism is not natural, it is not natural for some one to view someone else as inferior

Not as inferior, but as else or other than the self. 'us vs them' is very much a part of basic human nature

besides race is not biological but socially defined.

wrong. the major racial groups are distinguished by genetic differences (see: SNPs); social constructs overlap with them so much because racial differences are obvious even to children

Okay, I do concede that Affirmative Action does tilt the laws out of equality, I was referring to how the other laws are written, and advocate the abolishment of Affirmative Action myself.

Racism is just a tool used to keep people divided. The real problems are class based, but so long as the working poor are blaming each other they cannot direct their anger at the appropriate targets. I have to say that while I do not like the TARP it has done more to help correct this problem than any voting rights act or NAACP.

Interesting observation.

But I wonder if it's really woken up all that many people?

Racism is, I think, a real problem that didn't require any manipulation to manifest.

It can be manipulated, of course, and is, but fear of the other a built in aspect of the human personality, I think.

Classism is likewise a naturally occurring event, but it can only exist in a society.

They best way to manipulate in THIS classist society is to pretend that it doesn't exist.

So, whenever the effects of iclassism manifests, the trick is deny that those effects have anything to do with class, and the apologists (or deniers of classism) suggest that the outcomes that are manifesting on the members of any class are entirely the result of the behaviors of the individuals within those classes.

Hence all rich are rcih as a result of the myth that they are inherently superior people, and all poor are poor as a result of their character flaws.

What amazes me about classism is how often members in those various classes seem want to deny its very existence in this society and on themselves, too.

But it's SO obviously a classist society.

Tax laws, for an obvious example of that classism which effect different classes wildly differently.

For example, the wealthy pay a higher percerntage of taxes precisely because they must in order to keep the governments solvent. But by denying that reality, one denies the existence of all the benefits that classism brings them to begin with, thus they can lay claim to being treated unfairly as a result of that classist tax law which is designed to mitigate the outcomes of classism.

IN fact these classist laws are designed to effect the different classes differently.

Yet there are people (many of this board for example) who believe -- I mean they honestly believe -- that class doesn't exist, ergo these laws cannot be classist...they are merely unfair to the wealthy class who are, according to them, not members of a class. (Yeah, their arguments are confusing to even try to describe because they really make no sense)

It's a very interesting form of mass denial that is absolutely essential in order to maintain the illusion that we live in a meritocracy with equal liberties and justice applied equally for all.

If we can maintain that illusion, then the upper classes continue to be able to argue against any classist laws that they object to on some preposterous notion of invididual fairness, while creating still more advantages for their class, while pretending that they don't notice how those laws benefit them and disadvantage those of other classes.

One has to be social scientifically retarded not to notice such things, as far as I can tell.

The best and most accurate post in this thread by far. The Bass has made this same observation.

racism is not natural, it is not natural for some one to view someone else as inferior, besides race is not biological but socially defined.

Who the fuck are you and what have you done to Charlie??

I voted "...still here, but better...", but I was thinking in terms of pink -vs- brown.

After reading this thread, I'd like to change my vote to "...worse than ever...", now that I'm thinking in terms of right -vs- left.

-Joe

Who the fuck are you and what have you done to Charlie??

Human variation exists, but not biological race.

People look different but not all people fit into discrete racial categories, some have features that can group them into many different categories. In others words we all overlap, which negates the use of race.

actually, it's because of the existence of race this this occurs. SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) can measure one's genetic makeup, from among the 4 (3.5, in a sense) major races (Negroid, Caucasoid, Monogloid, and whatever the New Worlders in Central-/South American are called*). What you describe is simply halfbreeds and mutts, which can only exist and be discernible as such because of the distinct genetic races that do exist.

Your socio-political propaganda and 'politically correct' motives do not change the facts

*Most North American tribes are genetically Far Eastern Asian, with enough SNP variations to make a distinct split, but with far less differentiation than the other races.

People look different but not all people fit into discrete racial categories, some have features that can group them into many different categories. In others words we all overlap, which negates the use of race.

actually, it's because of the existence of race this this occurs. SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) can measure one's genetic makeup, from among the 4 (3.5, in a sense) major races (Negroid, Caucasoid, Monogloid, and whatever the New Worlders in Central-/South American are called*). What you describe is simply halfbreeds and mutts, which can only exist and be discernible as such because of the distinct genetic races that do exist.

Your socio-political propaganda and 'politically correct' motives do not change the facts

*Most North American tribes are genetically Far Eastern Asian, with enough SNP variations to make a distinct split, but with far less differentiation than the other races.
:wtf:

Just wanting to get a general feel for the way the board leans on this issue. :)

I know my poll answers won't reflect every view, just pick whatever is closest and expand in the thread.

Your question goes to the very heart and soul of the American people. Racism has been, is, and always will be a part of the American way of life. It is sad but true that American society is colour coded.

Name me ONE country where racism is NOT a problem. Credit goes to the USA for coming a long way baby!

Forum List

Back