Is polygamy good or bad in your opinion & should it be legal in America?

Anonymous1977

(NOT AFFILIATED WITH GROUP CALLED, "ANONYMOUS")
Nov 7, 2014
האי שלי
Greetings all,

I think that if Judaism and Islam explicitly allow polygamy, making it illegal in America violates peoples right to freely practice their religion...if it makes it participants happy and they are consenting & of age then I don't see the harm in it...

Greetings all,

I think that if Judaism and Islam explicitly allow polygamy, making it illegal in America violates peoples right to freely practice their religion...if it makes it participants happy and they are consenting & of age then I don't see the harm in it...

Don't think it's good or bad. Everything hinges on the people invovled. Some abuse it, some don't. As a legal non-religious matter it should be permitted with the proviso that the various economic adjustments are only applied once, subsequent spouses don't get multiple tax breaks and such for example. That would result in marriages with hundreds of people :) Like the show "Extreme Couponing" but with marriage. :)

There's evidence polygamous cultures are better off than monogamous ones. Monogamy encourages sexual competetiveness.

"Extramarital Sex
I also examined the influence of extramarital sex taboos upon crime and violence. The data clearly indicates that punitive-repressive attitudes toward extramarital sex are also linked with physical violence, personal crime, and the practice of slavery. Societies which value monogamy emphasize military glory and worship aggressive gods.
These cross-cultural data support the view of psychologists and sociologists who feel that sexual and psychological needs not being fulfilled within a marriage should be met outside of it, without destroying the primacy of the marriage relationship...
Available data clearly indicate that the rigid values of monogamy, chastity, and virginity help produce physical violence. The denial of female sexuality must give way to an acceptance and respect for it, and men must share with women the responsibility for giving affection and care to infants and children. As the father assumes a more equal role with the mother in child-rearing and becomes more affectionate toward his children, certain changes must follow in our socioeconomic system. A corporate structure which tends to separate either parent from the family by travel, extended meetings, or overtime work weakens the parent-child relationship and harms family stability. To develop a peaceful society, we must put more emphasis on human relationships."
BODY PLEASURE AND THE ORIGINS OF VIOLENCE By James W. Prescott

"In contrast with America’s male-oriented gender bias, Denmark’s high level of male-female equality allows for behavior that transcends the gender barriers set by less egalitarian societies...
...Denmark’s relaxed attitude toward male-female roles fosters an environment for untraditional relationships. Many couples are characterized as LAT (living apart together). These couples are romantically involved, but are not married. In Denmark, is not a pre-requisite for starting a family. Unlike in the United States, there is no taboo associated with having children out of wedlock.

Denmark also has a very high divorce rate, at nearly 45% of all marriages resulting in divorce. The lack of pressure to marry in combination with the social normalcy of divorce breeds healthy relationships, which could explain the Dane’s tendency toward public displays of affection.

The Danes’ non-traditional relationship ideals are further made evident in their liberal attitude toward sex. It is not uncommon for Danish men and women to talk about and even engage in sex in public places. During a dinner party with some Danish friends, I was shocked when one of the men turned to me and casually asked at what age I had lost my virginity. When I uncomfortably refused to answer, he teased me for being a “prude American.”"
Love and Relationships in the Happiest Country in the World

It's sad and unfortunate that many of the values we passionately cling to in America are the ones that are actually doing us the most harm.

Greetings all,

Neither good, nor bad, and none of my business.

I see no reason why any number of consenting adults should be prevented from entering into any civil union they want, as long as they have a contractual agreement.

I have one lady in my life, and she is all and more than I can handle, but, who am I to say what others can or should do?

We need much less government in our lives, and getting out of defining marriage, which is a religious rite, and in to recording contracts drawn up by consenting adults as they seek to define their legal relationships, is the way to go.

Greetings all,

Don't think it's good or bad. Everything hinges on the people invovled. Some abuse it, some don't. As a legal non-religious matter it should be permitted with the proviso that the various economic adjustments are only applied once, subsequent spouses don't get multiple tax breaks and such for example. That would result in marriages with hundreds of people :) Like the show "Extreme Couponing" but with marriage. :)
There should really be no tax breaks for anybody based on their relationships or the number of kids they have.

in fact, the more kids one has, the more taxes they should pay, if logic prevailed.

Greetings all,

I see no reason why any number of consenting adults should be prevented from entering into any civil union they want, as long as they have a contractual agreement.

I have one lady in my life, and she is all and more than I can handle, but, who am I to say what others can or should do?

We need much less government in our lives, and getting out of defining marriage, which is a religious rite, and in to recording contracts drawn up by consenting adults as they seek to define their legal relationships, is the way to go.

Laws are all about things that are none of our business. But we need to have laws and people who make and decide them.

Greetings all,

There should really be no tax breaks for anybody based on their relationships or the number of kids they have.

in fact, the more kids one has, the more taxes they should pay, if logic prevailed.

Logic in law? Ha, that made me laugh. :)

Sex laws are the best example of how law has nothing to do with logic. Sheer variation alone demonstrates that much. :)

Greetings all,

Laws are all about things that are none of our business. But we need to have laws and people who make and decide them.
What is funny about the above post, in which I state that the more kids you have, the more taxes you should pay?

I think that is only logical and fair.

Greetings all,

Logic in law? Ha, that made me laugh. :)
Oh, I get it now.

But I was serious about more taxes for the more kids you have.

Time to end the fuckin' free ride so many are taking.

I don't care one way or the other as long as it's consenting adults. It certainly can open things up for abuse - like in some of those cults, but so can any marriage I think.

"Is polygamy good or bad in your opinion & should it be legal in America?"

It's currently legal in the United States, where indeed to seek to prohibit it is un-Constitutional.

And whether it's 'good' or 'bad' is irrelevant, as it's neither.

Greetings all,

What is funny about the above post, in which I state that the more kids you have, the more taxes you should pay?

If you consider th eibgger picture, encouraging couples to become couples an dhave children directly benefits the state with more workers. Only sensible then for the state to reward that.

Well I think that the government has no place regulating the romantic relationships (telling people who can and can't engage in a romantic relationship) of consenting, of-age people...if they are of-age, and consent to be in a relationship, what place does the government have to say that they can't be in a relationship? Wrong in my book...

Peace and may God Bless you.
Anonymous1977

Last edited:
Greetings all,

If you consider th eibgger picture, encouraging couples to become couples an dhave children directly benefits the state with more workers. Only sensible then for the state to reward that.

Bullshit, in practice it is only putting more on welfare.

Checked demographics on employment lately?

"Is polygamy good or bad in your opinion & should it be legal in America?"

It's currently legal in the United States, where indeed to seek to prohibit it is un-Constitutional.

And whether it's 'good' or 'bad' is irrelevant, as it's neither.

Lolol well I would disagree with your last statement but thanks for your opinion.

Anonymous1977

Well I think that the government has no place regulating the romantic relationships (telling people who can and can't engage in a romantic relationship) of consenting, of-age people...if they are of-age, and consent to be in a relationship, what place does the government have to say that they can't be in a relationship? Wrong in my book.

Peace and may God Bless you.
Anonymous1977

Can be in the relationship, can "marry" a hundred other people and all live together if you want. Just can't have it recognized in-law by the government.

It doesn't impact me one way or the other

Why should I care?

Greetings all,

Bullshit, in practice it is only putting more on welfare.

Checked demographics on employment lately?

No, it's Sunday. I'm confident my conservative friends will post something about that Monday morning. :)

Forum List

Back