Is Passengers worth seeing? It's getting raked over the coals by critics

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I love sci-fi but have heard this movie plays more on relationship drama than its sci-fi background. I'm not interested in another Titanic story.

I love sci-fi but have heard this movie plays more on relationship drama than its sci-fi background. I'm not interested in another Titanic story.
I only go to theaters for epic movies I know I will like.
Otherwise, Netflix and give them the 20 minute test to show me it's worthy of my time. Not going to go out and pay all that money when I have my own home theater which I can pause the movie at any time.

• Banned
Otherwise, Netflix and give them the 20 minute test to show me it's worthy of my time. Not going to go out and pay all that money when I have my own home theater which I can pause the movie at any time.
I have a very nice set up at home but nothing beats imax for movies

Pretty much.
I have one good leftover from my former life - a 9ft. screen/projector/surround system.
I don't go to the movies unless I am sure it is going to be worth paying to see now....but that is not always so easy.
Take "Arrival"....critics can't stop saying how great it is - me? - meh. The trailers for it are the most deceiving takes i have ever seen. The movie is absolutely nothing like the trailers...nothing.
I worry that Passengers is the same deal - trailers/story line look very promising...but is it a really cool sci-fi - or like Grampa says - another "Titanic"

I didn't think it was a bad movie. It would be a pretty tough decision to make if you were the only person on that ship knowing what he knew...I love me some J-La, and Chris Pratt is one of the funniest actors in the business today, it could have used some more jokes.

Essentially a Rom-Com in space EXCEPT for a very chilling ethical conundrum which will have you thinking long after you've left the theatre.

Think about the 1965 dark drama 'The Collector', but with a 'happy' ending?

That's not a bad thing. A sci-fi story should be, before all else, a good story. The science should have only facilitate be story.

In this case, this is good sci-fi.

We watched it last weekend.
I would give it 3.5 stars.
It's not great, but entertaining enough to make the $4.99 rent a good buy.
It starts a little slow, about 1/3 way in you are thinking this might just be a chick flick disguised as a sci-fi movie...but then it ramps up and maintains a good storyline with plenty of action and drama.

Forum List

Back