Is OSB board good quality or crap?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I have seen that 'Chip board' stuff on a lot of residential construction, but not much on commercial, and it maybe because commercial builders make sure the water shielding plastic stays on, and you cant see it.

But OSB seems to really suck at moisture handling. It absorbs moisture and expands, like plywood does, but when it dries, unlike plywood, it does not go back to its original size. So some manufacturers seal t he edges, like they should have to start with, but if you cut a panel of OSB down, no one seals the new edge again.

The house being built behind my house is all OSB and the plastic is gone on 80% of it. These people will likely have issues with it in about 5 years, is my take.

Any thoughts for or against OSB? Is it really crap?

Its crap, not only is it less in its ability to withstand water its heavier.
Thus adding unneeded weight to your roof trusses.

So what would you go with for your roof and sides and floor; fir plywood?

A floor and a roof should always be plywood. If you need to cut costs to make up for it use the OSB on the siding. Its the cheapest thing to replace.

Termites go through OSB like a rat on toilet paper. If you use it on the siding wrap and wrap again. 15 pound felt is better then plastic membrane.

A floor and a roof should always be plywood. If you need to cut costs to make up for it use the OSB on the siding. Its the cheapest thing to replace.

Termites go through OSB like a rat on toilet paper. If you use it on the siding wrap and wrap again. 15 pound felt is better then plastic membrane.

Thank you for your advice.

What kind of wood would you get your frame studs in? I hear everything from Southern Yellow Pine to Douglass Fir, to SFP, etc.

If you could build the house you wanted to last forever, what wood would you do your stud framing with?

Thank you for your advice.

What kind of wood would you get your frame studs in? I hear everything from Southern Yellow Pine to Douglass Fir, to SFP, etc.

If you could build the house you wanted to last forever, what wood would you do your stud framing with?
Fir OR Pine works great as long as you seal against moisture. The reason I prefer a felt membrane is that during heat it bonds to the plywood and becomes part of it thus sealing it for winter.
Plastic membrane becomes brittle and cracks during cold temps.

Forum List

Back