Is Obamacare too big to fail?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Amelia, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119
    Might the justices rule that the ACA should stand, mandate and all, because dismantling it would be too complicated?

2. Valox

Valox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I can't believe I am saying this, but thankfully there are too many Conservatives on the bench. (While I am more liberal than Cons on many issues, I tend to be more of a strict Constitutionalist).

However, given that liberals believe that the state can take people's property away for corporate gain (Kelo vs New London), I am sure that they can wrap their heads around the idea to hand over millions of Americans to the for profit insurance industry.

Liberals make me sick to my stomach sometimes. They are such corporate apologists, yet blame Conservatives. (However, two wrongs don't make a right).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    No. All laws can be repealed.

4. Valox

Valox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    This is discomforting given the number times that SCOTUS were repealed. After all, they are the law.

5. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,509

From the snippets I heard from Wednesday's hearing, it does sound like they were almost assuming that the individual mandate is toast, and that they've moved on to whether they should scrap the whole thing. But questions from the supes don't always translate into how they'll decide.

6. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    It would add a heck of alot to the deficit..and be another fine example of a radical right wing case decision..

Not as radical as citizen's united of course..which conflated the original case, ignored 100 years of precedent, previous cases and congressional legislation.

But close..

7. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,784
    No. Its not to big to fail.

8. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,790
    Scalia seemed to be suggesting it's too big to screw around trying to figure out which bits of it should stay and which should go - but I'm not sure that will sway the vote one way or another. I suppose it could, but something tells me they'll be taking more into consideration than whether the additional workload might cut into their vacation time.

9. SniperFire

SniperFire Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,223
    Scalia asked, incredulously, if it would be expected the Supremes or their clerks go thru the remainder of the 2,700 page bill to decide what should / could stand without the individual mandate.

No. Such a thing would be the job of Congress to figure out with new legislation to fix the Obama-Pelosi-Reid failure.

10. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    More like too big to succeed.
    When the supreme court rules it invalid (which they will as it certainly looks). It will be the fault of every Democrat legislature and the White House for rushing through a monstrous-uber complicated mess that no one read. Also despite calls from other legislatures, state attorneys, lawyers, judges etc. etc. saying basically - "hey..this may not be legal" - Democrats voted it in anyway.
    It will be their fault alone that health care reform has failed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1