Is muzzling cruel?

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
I had to take one of my dogs,Dodger, to the vet Monday because he had been coughing. Apparently,he got Kennel Cough form coming into work with me at night. He got all his vaccinations back in July,but the vet said that the shot can only cover about three strands of the virus/infection. Sometimes it's and infection,sometimes it's viral. Anyway,he put him an antibiotics and cough medicine and told me he needs to not bark!! Well,if anyone remembers my other thread a while back-Dodger barks-a lot!!! He has done nothing but bark all morning at every dog and cat that walks by our house. I'm wondering if should muzzle him until he is a little better,but then for a dog like him,I wonder if that is cruel. I have never been big on muzzles unless they are really needed. The other alternative is just let him deal with the throat irritation of barking. You would think he would learn. Everytime a barking frenzy starts,he starts coughing!!!

krisy said:
I had to take one of my dogs,Dodger, to the vet Monday because he had been coughing. Apparently,he got Kennel Cough form coming into work with me at night. He got all his vaccinations back in July,but the vet said that the shot can only cover about three strands of the virus/infection. Sometimes it's and infection,sometimes it's viral. Anyway,he put him an antibiotics and cough medicine and told me he needs to not bark!! Well,if anyone remembers my other thread a while back-Dodger barks-a lot!!! He has done nothing but bark all morning at every dog and cat that walks by our house. I'm wondering if should muzzle him until he is a little better,but then for a dog like him,I wonder if that is cruel. I have never been big on muzzles unless they are really needed. The other alternative is just let him deal with the throat irritation of barking. You would think he would learn. Everytime a barking frenzy starts,he starts coughing!!!

He won't learn.. Muzzle him during the periods you know he's most likely to bark.. If things are quiet at night, leave the muzzle off... They don't have the common sense to know that barking is going to cause him to take longer to heal.

Shattered said:
He won't learn.. Muzzle him during the periods you know he's most likely to bark.. If things are quiet at night, leave the muzzle off... They don't have the common sense to know that barking is going to cause him to take longer to heal.

Makes sense. He does calm down at night a lot. There is this man that walks his dog three or four times a day around the neighborhood and this causes the usual frenzy. I wish I knew when the guy was coming,although today he has been barking at this damn cat that has been taunting him in the neighbors yard!!!lol!!!

krisy said:
Makes sense. He does calm down at night a lot. There is this man that walks his dog three or four times a day around the neighborhood and this causes the usual frenzy. I wish I knew when the guy was coming,although today he has been barking at this damn cat that has been taunting him in the neighbors yard!!!lol!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOoo your talking about dogs---nevermind :laugh:

We have a muzzle for our greyhound, but thankfully we don't have to use it often. But, you also should consider this: is it more cruel to muzzle a dog, or to let him keep barking, knowing that the barking will continue the dog's suffering with this infection?

dilloduck said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOoo your talking about dogs---nevermind :laugh:

Well,I am open to suggestions for the hubby too if you got em!! :dance:

gop_jeff said:
We have a muzzle for our greyhound, but thankfully we don't have to use it often. But, you also should consider this: is it more cruel to muzzle a dog, or to let him keep barking, knowing that the barking will continue the dog's suffering with this infection?

I agree with you,and really knew this is probably the best thing. Just having a hard time with it. I guess I will have to go up and get one today. :cry:

krisy said:
Well,I am open to suggestions for the hubby too if you got em!! :dance:

Stuff a sock in his mouth and wrap some duct tape around his head, that oughta keep him quiet for awhile! :teeth:

Well,the vet called today to see how Dodger was, and I asked him about the barking. He said he didn't want me to muzzle Dodger. On top of him just getting irritated with it,he cannot pant,and that isn't good for him. He suggested a shock collar and said they do not hurt the dog and after a few times,you do not even have to use it anymore. My neighbor verfied that. She has one for her LAb and after a few times,she said he didn't need it.

He did tell me to try and get a collar that can be set. For instance,set it 6 barks and the collar goes off itself. Barking is a constant problem for Dodger(only in the house,he is very protective). He said if you get one that goes off itself,the dog does not associate you with the shock and doesn't become timid or shy to people thinking all people do this. Made sense,I thought. He even said I could rent one.

Personally, I'd discard any vet that wanted to use shock therapy on any animal of mine. Is the vet willing to demonstrate said collar on his own neck for a few days? :(

Shattered said:
Personally, I'd discard any vet that wanted to use shock therapy on any animal of mine. Is the vet willing to demonstrate said collar on his own neck for a few days? :(

Well,I like my vet a lot and have been with him a while. How is strapping his mouth shut any more humane? SOmething has to be done,as he is upsetting the other dog when he barks. Shock gives an impression of pain,but it is more a strong vibration. I have worked with animals for 11 years now and a m a lifelong animal lover-especially dogs. If I thought this would hurt Dodger in a serious way,I wouldn't do it. Not to mention, two or three times,and I think we will be done. If a muzzle would not be healthy-i.e. he cannot pant-do you have another suggetion? I can't beat him. I did discuss with the vet about the fact that if he stopped barking alltogether,what would we do if someone hung around the house at night or something.He said it's a catch 22. You would probably be suprised if you knew how many true animal lovers have tried these,but when are down to no other options,and the dog has a behavior problem,what do you do? Getting rid of him is not an option. Let me mention also,that I don't mind some barking,but lately,he goes into a literal frenzy when the mailman comes,other dogs outside,etc.

I never like the idea of the shock thing either, but my brother had problems with his dog running away - he has like 2 acres of land and it is not fenced in. He finally had an electric fence installed. The dog wore a shock collar, that gave him a mild sting when he tried leaving. After a few months of this, he was able to run free without the collar - and there have been no more running away problems.

Joan said:
I never like the idea of the shock thing either, but my brother had problems with his dog running away - he has like 2 acres of land and it is not fenced in. He finally had an electric fence installed. The dog wore a shock collar, that gave him a mild sting when he tried leaving. After a few months of this, he was able to run free without the collar - and there have been no more running away problems.

I was the same way. When I first heard of them,I was appauled. Then,when several people that I know are serious animal lovers suggested it,on top of my reputable vet,I thought about it.Dodger is a smart dog and I beleive will learn fast. I have heard those electric fences are good Joan. I know a couple people that tried them and their dogs learned quickly too. It's better than having the dog get hit by a car because he runs away.

i would get a tape on barking at the library or buy one at the pet store , there is also a show on animal planet called good dog u it is very good , or you might find it at the library , and the vibration they have for dog would be better then the shock ones , good luck

Forum List

Back