Is Mormonism a newer version of Christianity?

The book of Mormon is not an UPDATE to the Bible. It covers an entirely different set of people.

There is not one shred of evidence to confirm the existence of these so-called " different set of people " that are mentioned in the book of Mormon.

Archaeologists have never found not one artifact, people, or location to validate what the book of Mormon claims.

It is basically just 19th Century science-fiction with religious overtones .

Sunni, is there any proof that Archangel Gabriel actually spoke to Mohammed telling him what to write? Or could all of Islam just be science fiction? I'm not being facetious, just asking a serious question. Is there any real proof that Gabriel spoke to Mohammed or did Mohammed's followers just believe what he said on faith?

The book of Mormon is not an UPDATE to the Bible. It covers an entirely different set of people.

There is not one shred of evidence to confirm the existence of these so-called " different set of people " that are mentioned in the book of Mormon.

Archaeologists have never found not one artifact, people, or location to validate what the book of Mormon claims.

It is basically just 19th Century science-fiction with religious overtones .

Sunni, is there any proof that Archangel Gabriel actually spoke to Mohammed telling him what to write? Or could all of Islam just be science fiction? I'm not being facetious, just asking a serious question. Is there any real proof that Gabriel spoke to Mohammed or did Mohammed's followers just believe what he said on faith?
Mormonism and Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God said we're not to add or take away from his Word (the Bible). But that's just what Mormons and Jehovas Witness did...they reworded or removed words from the original Bible to get what they want. My ex-daughter in law (she turned JW) told me that wasn't true...but i compared the Bibles in some areas (not the whole thing) and found big differences - they put in their own interpretations. I wish i still had the JW bible so i could site some for you!

I am not surprised. So, the world is blessed with two more Bibles besides the Mormon, Protestant, Catholic, Coptic and the Orthodox Bibles. Lets see . . . that comes to seven different Bibles---seven different ways of reading "God's Word."

And, sad to say, it is impossible to interpret some, if not all, of the Bibles literally because Revelations uses words like "beast" not to represent an animal but "Babylon," or "Rome" or Satan. And how are we to interpret the admonishon to "wash each other's feet" (John 2:1-11), "play with snakes" (Mark 18:18) and "drink wine"?

brough,
civilization-overview dot com

God tells us to wash feet then you wash feet. We do it every Easter Sunday when we take communion with wine. And there is no such verse a Mark 18:18 you must mean 16:18. In WV we have a lot of snake handeling churchs. I think its the only state that it is legal. To each his own. The bible says they shall; no they must.
If your Gawd didn't want your feet dirty he wouldn't have made the planet out of fucking dirt !:cuckoo:
My God LOVES dirty feet, pork rinds, catfish, sex, beer all of those wonderful things.
He told me his only regret was not putting an exit only mark on peoples asses :eek::tongue:

God said there were MANY works of his in the World. The Bible is the Bible. Mormons use the King James Version. It is considered the most properly interpreted from the ancient texts. The book of Mormon is about people living in the Americas. It is their history and religious history. Just as the Bible is the History of the Jews in the Middle East.

Jehovah Witnesses also believe in the King James version. However the name of God is not used except in a couple places. That is not what the ancient text says, they use his name Jehovah. You will find God's name Jehovah in the King James version also. The Jehovah Witnesses , using the ancient text, made a more properly interpreted Bible to English from the Ancient Text. The one they use is identical to King James except they restored the Name Jehovah where ever it was proper to do so. And rather then use dictum from the Middle Ages they use proper English that is current with the Translation from ancient Text to English.

What specifically do you mean by the 1st sentence? Do you really think that the many different Christian Bibles and the Jewish and Muslim versions, are all "works of God?" Each of them claim to update "God's Word" by at least supplementing it in different ways if not always changing it. The result is a confused and contradictory "God's word" as well big shifts in what is relevent in history.

Judaism and Christianity both revere "prophets who God spoke to." Its in The Bible and the Torrah, so most of the many main-line versions of "God's word" had "prophets" (as you define the word). That includes the Jahova Witness Bible which, as CAROLJO :clap2:mentioned, is different. It is translated to fit its creed. See:

Focus On The Faulty: Articles

Last edited:
Looks like Mormanism is an form of Christianity to me.

One of thousands of variants of that theme.

Not at all. The whole purpose of the Gospel is the Revelation of Jesus Christ to each soul. When a different Gospel is taught, it is considered a cult. Hope this link and short quote from it helps...

What is the definition of a cult?

"The two most common teachings of cults are that Jesus was not God and that salvation is not by faith alone. A denial of the deity of Christ results in Jesus’ death not being a sufficient payment for our sins. A denial of salvation by faith alone results in salvation being achieved by our own works, something the Bible vehemently and consistently denies. The two most well-known examples of cults are the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. Both groups claim to be Christian, yet both deny the deity of Christ and salvation by faith alone. Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons believe many things that are in agreement with or similar to what the Bible teaches. However, the fact that they deny the deity of Christ and preach a salvation by works qualifies them as a cult."

You see, from the beginning and until the end, Satan is hard at work on every one of us, to try to deceive us from the simplicity that is in Jesus Christ our Lord. Truly, it is all about Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 11
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

I assume you are sincere in your belief and I have no doubt that what you say is indeed in the Bible, by why do you think this old book is special and in an entirely different class from all the other and equally outdated books, manuscripts and enscripted tablets stashed away in museums?

Also I question your "God Bless Israel and America" statements. Are you saying God blesses us and Israel over other people or a request that god treat us and them better---or does "bless" have essentially no meaning?:confused:

Looks like Mormanism is an form of Christianity to me.

One of thousands of variants of that theme.

Not at all. The whole purpose of the Gospel is the Revelation of Jesus Christ to each soul. When a different Gospel is taught, it is considered a cult. Hope this link and short quote from it helps...

What is the definition of a cult?

You see, from the beginning and until the end, Satan is hard at work on every one of us, to try to deceive us from the simplicity that is in Jesus Christ our Lord. Truly, it is all about Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 11
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

I assume you are sincere in your belief and I have no doubt that what you say is indeed in the Bible, by why do you think this old book is special and in an entirely different class from all the other and equally outdated books, manuscripts and enscripted tablets stashed away in museums?

Also I question your "God Bless Israel and America" statements. Are you saying God blesses us and Israel over other people or a request that god treat us and them better---or does "bless" have essentially no meaning?:confused:

That old book is special is because of faith. If you don't have it you will never understand a Christians desire to stand by it. I have faith that the bible is the complete word of God. There are no additions that can be made and no subtractions from it either.

That old book is special is because of faith. If you don't have it you will never understand a Christians desire to stand by it. I have faith that the bible is the complete word of God. There are no additions that can be made and no subtractions from it either.

We can learn the truthfulness of the Bible through the power of the Holy Spirit.

However, nowhere in the Bible does it claim to be the complete word of God, nor does it proscribe God from speaking to others. Nor does it prevent them from recording their witnesses of God's interactions with them.

I cannot understand this presumption that Our Living God is silent when He has spoken to man in every age of History. Why then are we to believe that God has changed to be silent?

The Bible is a tool to point us toward Christ and through Christ the Father. But there are some who seem to worship the Bible more than the God who the Bible testifies of. (Not saying that you are one of them, I'm just making a general oberservation). I don't understand this.

Do you understand why it is difficult for we who are non-theists to grasp what you are saying? We see how science has managed to provide us with a civilized life, enabled us to provide for our population growth, and an understanding of how things operate. It seems to me to be destructive to, instead, believe and behave according to a two thousand year old collection of letters. It not only contradicts what science has struggled to figure out but is even inconsistent with itself.

Perhaps members have faith in it despite its scientific incompatability because of the general moral deterioration that I see and perhaps you as well. In "The Last Civilization," I show that this moral failure results because the old faiths have grown obsolete thus opening themselves up to other beliefs, and in the general division and chaos, society has been deteriorating. The solution for the world is not to go back to the old faiths but to replace them all with something scientically and morally superior.

Do you understand why it is difficult for we who are non-theists to grasp what you are saying? We see how science has managed to provide us with a civilized life, enabled us to provide for our population growth, and an understanding of how things operate. It seems to me to be destructive to, instead, believe and behave according to a two thousand year old collection of letters. It not only contradicts what science has struggled to figure out but is even inconsistent with itself.

Perhaps members have faith in it despite its scientific incompatability because of the general moral deterioration that I see and perhaps you as well. In "The Last Civilization," I show that this moral failure results because the old faiths have grown obsolete thus opening themselves up to other beliefs, and in the general division and chaos, society has been deteriorating. The solution for the world is not to go back to the old faiths but to replace them all with something scientically and morally superior.

It's difficult for anyone thinking about it to understand what he is saying because what he is saying is no true. The Bible contains the Word of God, but there is nothing in it that claims to be the only book to contain the Word of God. In fact, it's not one book, but a collection of over 60 books. Each one separately written and compiled between centuries and millenia after they were written.

The Proposition that the Bible is all there is to know about God and our relationship with God is not only a lie, but absurd. In fact, the Bible specifically testifies that there is much to know about God that was not recorded in it's covers. Take the last verse of the Gospel of John (My personal favorite of the Four Gospels):

25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. (John 21:25)

Does that sound like we have everything? or does it sound that God has revealed, that He does reveal, and that He will reveal many more things than we currently have?

The Bible quotes inspired books not found in the Bible. Are we to believe that the other books that record mans dealings with God are not likewise scripture? Take Enoch for example? Are we to suppose that His writings, wouldn't be scripture if we had accurate versions of them?

We barely know anything about the life of Christ. Most of it is confined to bits and pieces of His 3 year ministry to the Jews. We have parts of his Post mortal ministry and some of his pre mortal ministry. We know so little and there are some who say we know enough and that there is no more to know? What did Christ teach during those 40 days He spent with the Apostles after His resurrection? We don't know, but I can guarentee you they weren't sitting around having some beers.

Paul mentioned at times that there were things that were unlawful for him to write. That the Epistles he was writing contained the Milk of the Gospel because the Saints weren't ready for the meat. And we are to presume that everything is in the Bible when Paul specifically said He was teaching them milk?

Our Heavenly Father is the God of the Living, Not the dead. That's what the scriptures teach. And now people want us to believe that He spoke to our Fathers, who are dead, but does not speak to us. Does that make sense?

No it doesn't. The Book of Mormon is a testimony to the world that God is not silent. He spoke to others, outside of Palestine. There are other modern witnesses to Jesus Christ. They saw the living Savior. And they wrote of it:

19 And while we meditated upon these things, the Lord touched the eyes of our understandings and they were opened, and the glory of the Lord shone round about.

20 And we beheld the glory of the Son, on the right hand of the Father, and received of his fulness;

21 And saw the holy angels, and them who are sanctified before his throne, worshiping God, and the Lamb, who worship him forever and ever.

22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!

23 For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—

24 That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God. (D&C 76:19-24)

God reveals Himself to men. And will continue to do so until all see Him and every knee shall bend and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ.

These men testified that Jesus lives. And they were beaten for it. Some were killed for it. All the while others falsely claim God is done speaking to the living. That we can only learn of Him through a very selected few of the dead.

Don't believe it. The Bible teaches differently. It would be nice if those who profess the Bible actually understood it and believed it and lived it.

Unfortunately, we are weak. And we all need to turn to the Lord for more strength.

The Trinity is a lie and is exposed repeatedly in the New Testament. Yet most who profess to be Christian believe it. The Bible specifically says there are other works out there. So much for the Bible being the complete and final work of God.

I have faith that the bible is the complete word of God. There are no additions that can be made and no subtractions from it either.

It's difficult for anyone thinking about it to understand what BROUGH is saying because what he is saying is no true. The Bible contains the Word of God, but there is nothing in it that claims to be the only book to contain the Word of God. In fact, it's not one book, but a collection of over 60 books. Each one separately written and compiled between centuries and millenia after they were written.

The Proposition that the Bible is all there is to know about God and our relationship with God is not only a lie, but absurd. In fact, the Bible specifically testifies that there is much to know about God that was not recorded in it's covers. No it doesn't. The Book of Mormon is a testimony to the world that God is not silent. He spoke to others, outside of Palestine. There are other modern witnesses to Jesus Christ.

It would be nice if those who profess the Bible actually understood it and believed it and lived it. Unfortunately, we are weak. And we all need to turn to the Lord for more strength.

Of course the Bible makes no claim to providing all there is to know about Jesus. But who is to say what "added knowledge" is "True"? Why would the "added knowledge" of the Mormons be "true" whereas that of the Muslims, Judaics, and Reverend Moon be "false"? They are all inconsitent with Mormonism and in ways even contradict it and each other. Surely, if they are all "the world of God" we have to ask why "God" is so inconsistent and has to spread his word in so many mutually diverse ways that people have to fight long wars throughout history just to determine what part of what he wants said is "true?"
It just seems to me that a really wise god would get it all to us at once and do it right in order to avoid all the confusion.

And it is obvious to most of us, and perhaps even you, that there is much in all of the above mentioned "words of God" that is partially and in many cases totally unscientific. A wave of the hand cannot seperate the water of the Red Sea, Stars do not move to direct people to mangers, we were not "created in seven days" and people do not walk on water.

Really, why do all these believers take such old mythology on faith? Why?

Of course the Bible makes no claim to providing all there is to know about Jesus. But who is to say what "added knowledge" is "True"?

God is to say. The Book of Mormon is a book with the promise. I don't expect you or anyone else to believe it simply because I say it's true. Nor does the Book itself or any of the 12 witnesses whose names are forever written in the front of the Book of Mormon.

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. (Moroni 10:3-5)

We have a promise that the Lord will reveal whether the Book of Mormon is true. The whole point of sending the Holy Ghost was to show us the truth of all things.

So don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself. Read it. And ask God. That's the only reason to know whether it's true. That's the only reason I know it. I didn't even know whether there was a God. But I exercised faith. I concluded that if there was a God that created us with the ability to communicate, then He could likewise find a way to communicate to us. I didn't know how or when or what it would take to have God communicate. but I believed He could if He chose to.

When the Spirit hit me, I knew it was true. I know the scriptures are true only because the Holy Spirit shared it with me. That's the only way anyone can know. And I know if God will reveal Himself to someone like me, He will reveal himself to anyone. Problem is most people don't bother giving Him a real chance.

Why would the "added knowledge" of the Mormons be "true" whereas that of the Muslims, Judaics, and Reverend Moon be "false"?

Who said they are all false? The whole point of the Holy Spirit is to teach us the of all things. God gives all people as much truth as they are willing to handle. Any inconsistancies can be addressed in the fact that we are human and over time corruption enters into practices and doctrines. That is precisely why God is not silent. He will continue to teach us correct principles and doctrine and as we seek, study, and live what He has given He will give us more.

Take the Quran for example. I have no problem with the idea that it could have been true as originally revealed. The problem is we don't have the originals (I know many muslims would disagree). But the Quran was originally a recitation. It wasn't written and compiled until the times of the Caliphates after Mohammads death. And it was done mostly because there were other versions of it going around and the leaders wanted to prevent other versions of the Quran confusing the people.

There have been many men and women who have been inspired over time. And God can reveal the truth of all of their works. Mormonism embraces all Truth no matter the source.

They are all inconsitent with Mormonism and in ways even contradict it and each other. Surely, if they are all "the world of God" we have to ask why "God" is so inconsistent and has to spread his word in so many mutually diverse ways that people have to fight long wars throughout history just to determine what part of what he wants said is "true?"

As I said before. It's not that God is inconsistant. It's that man is corrupt and unless perfect men write and preserve the record, the teachings get corrupted. Which is why Continual Revelation will always be necessary until Christ comes. People have wars because they don't bother humbling themselves and learning from the Source.

Pride, corruption, and fear keep us all from God.

It just seems to me that a really wise god would get it all to us at once and do it right in order to avoid all the confusion.

I have to disagree. A truly wise God would realize that He has created Billions of individuals. Everyone is different. Everyone has a different level of education and different experiences. No, a wise God would tailor his message to individuals. Giving them what they can deal with when they can. You reveal things to people before they are ready and it can hurt them more than help them. God knows this. You don't start teaching children Calculus. You start with basic arithmatic until they can master that. God's plan tailors our education in the faith to our needs and experiences.

And it is obvious to most of us, and perhaps even you, that there is much in all of the above mentioned "words of God" that is partially and in many cases totally unscientific. A wave of the hand cannot seperate the water of the Red Sea, Stars do not move to direct people to mangers, we were not "created in seven days" and people do not walk on water.

You want to use science to learn? Very well. Experiment on the word of God. Christ has said that if we do the doctrine we will know whether it's from the Father or not. The challenge I just posted from Moroni isn't difficult. Read the Book of Mormon. Study it. Ponder the message and pray about it seeking guidence from the Holy Spirit. Believe me. When you experience the Spirit and recognize Him for who He is, your life will never be the same.

Really, why do all these believers take such old mythology on faith? Why?

Old mythology? The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was necessarily restored after the establishment of the United States. While the Book of Mormon and the subsequent revelations testify of the Gospel and the truth found in the Bible, these are modern witnesses. And your question is exactly why God will continue to reveal His will to us. He didn't just speak to our Fathers and there is no reason we should rely solely on their experiences to teach us about God and His plan. God reveals Himself today. He is the God of the living. Not the God of myth.

Oh, and your "of course the Bible makes no claim to providing all there is about Jesus" line is correct. but its amazing how many people believe just that for some reason.

Forum List

Back