Is Mormonism a newer version of Christianity?

charles brough

civilization-overviewer
Jun 16, 2011
So. California
It would seem that its founder, "prophet" Joseph Smith, "upgraded" the Bible or how the Bible was interpreted. If I am not mistaken, isn't that what Jesus suposedly did with the Hebrew Bible? And what the Muslims also did with the Christian Bible? And even what Reverend Moon supposedly did? :eusa_liar:
It seems that the way to start a religion is to "update" God's Word . . . It would also seem that we will never get it straight and will have to continue geting updates! :cuckoo:

Perhaps we should start all over with something really original, more up-to-date and cease listening to would-be "profits" . . . :lol:

Mormons believe some strange stuff. Smith started the church because he wanted more than one wife.
The "angel" told him that the garden of eden was in Missouri.

God said we're not to add or take away from his Word (the Bible). But that's just what Mormons and Jehovas Witness did...they reworded or removed words from the original Bible to get what they want. My ex-daughter in law (she turned JW) told me that wasn't true...but i compared the Bibles in some areas (not the whole thing) and found big differences - they put in their own interpretations. I wish i still had the JW bible so i could site some for you!

It would seem that its founder, "prophet" Joseph Smith, "upgraded" the Bible or how the Bible was interpreted. If I am not mistaken, isn't that what Jesus suposedly did with the Hebrew Bible? And what the Muslims also did with the Christian Bible? And even what Reverend Moon supposedly did? :eusa_liar:
It seems that the way to start a religion is to "update" God's Word . . . It would also seem that we will never get it straight and will have to continue geting updates! :cuckoo:

Perhaps we should start all over with something really original, more up-to-date and cease listening to would-be "profits" . . . :lol:

The Book of Mormon is NOT an update to the Bible. It recounts a tribe of Israel that came to America and the religious history there in. It is an accounting of those people in the Americas that Jesus also visited.

Joseph Smith was given gold tablets that he interpreted and wrote down as the book of Moroni. Or Mormon. There were witnesses to those tablets and some of those witnesses later left the Church. YET not a single witness ever recanted witnessing the gold tablets even after leaving the Church.

The claim the Church has is that it is the RESTORED Church of Christ, that God sent the Angel Moroni to guide Joseph Smith and reestablish God's church on Earth.

The restoration was in establishing a Prophet of God to Earth. No other Christian Church claims to have Prophets. A Prophet is a man or Woman that God can talk directly to. The Catholic church has a man leading the Church and he has no divine ability to converse with God. Same with all the other Christian sects.

God said we're not to add or take away from his Word (the Bible). But that's just what Mormons and Jehovas Witness did...they reworded or removed words from the original Bible to get what they want. My ex-daughter in law (she turned JW) told me that wasn't true...but i compared the Bibles in some areas (not the whole thing) and found big differences - they put in their own interpretations. I wish i still had the JW bible so i could site some for you!

God said there were MANY works of his in the World. The Bible is the Bible. Mormons use the King James Version. It is considered the most properly interpreted from the ancient texts. The book of Mormon is about people living in the Americas. It is their history and religious history. Just as the Bible is the History of the Jews in the Middle East.

Jehovah Witnesses also believe in the King James version. However the name of God is not used except in a couple places. That is not what the ancient text says, they use his name Jehovah. You will find God's name Jehovah in the King James version also. The Jehovah Witnesses , using the ancient text, made a more properly interpreted Bible to English from the Ancient Text. The one they use is identical to King James except they restored the Name Jehovah where ever it was proper to do so. And rather then use dictum from the Middle Ages they use proper English that is current with the Translation from ancient Text to English.

If you are going to talk about a specific religion be so kind as to be factual in that discussion.

My Dad's a Mormon, you're not even close.

I am not surprised. So, the world is blessed with two more Bibles besides the Mormon, Protestant, Catholic, Coptic and the Orthodox Bibles. Lets see . . . that comes to seven different Bibles---seven different ways of reading "God's Word."

And, sad to say, it is impossible to interpret some, if not all, of the Bibles literally because Revelations uses words like "beast" not to represent an animal but "Babylon," or "Rome" or Satan. And how are we to interpret the admonishon to "wash each other's feet" (John 2:1-11), "play with snakes" (Mark 18:18) and "drink wine"?

brough,
civilization-overview dot com

Last edited:

I am not surprised. So, the world is blessed with two more Bibles besides the Mormon, Protestant, Catholic, Coptic and the Orthodox Bibles. Lets see . . . that comes to seven different Bibles---seven different ways of reading "God's Word."

And, sad to say, it is impossible to interpret some, if not all, of the Bibles literally because Revelations uses words like "beast" not to represent an animal but "Babylon," or "Rome" or Satan. And how are we to interpret the admonishon to "wash each other's feet" (John 2:1-11), "play with snakes" (Mark 18:18) and "drink wine"?

brough,

God tells us to wash feet then you wash feet. We do it every Easter Sunday when we take communion with wine. And there is no such verse a Mark 18:18 you must mean 16:18. In WV we have a lot of snake handeling churchs. I think its the only state that it is legal. To each his own. The bible says they shall; no they must.

Last edited:
Looks like Mormanism is an form of Christianity to me.

One of thousands of variants of that theme.

Looks like Mormanism is an form of Christianity to me.

One of thousands of variants of that theme.

Not at all. The whole purpose of the Gospel is the Revelation of Jesus Christ to each soul. When a different Gospel is taught, it is considered a cult. Hope this link and short quote from it helps...

What is the definition of a cult?

"The two most common teachings of cults are that Jesus was not God and that salvation is not by faith alone. A denial of the deity of Christ results in Jesus’ death not being a sufficient payment for our sins. A denial of salvation by faith alone results in salvation being achieved by our own works, something the Bible vehemently and consistently denies. The two most well-known examples of cults are the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. Both groups claim to be Christian, yet both deny the deity of Christ and salvation by faith alone. Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons believe many things that are in agreement with or similar to what the Bible teaches. However, the fact that they deny the deity of Christ and preach a salvation by works qualifies them as a cult."

You see, from the beginning and until the end, Satan is hard at work on every one of us, to try to deceive us from the simplicity that is in Jesus Christ our Lord. Truly, it is all about Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 11
3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Mormonism is not a new brand of Christianity. Quite the opposite. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the original Christian Church restored in it's fulness, it's power, and glory.

brough,

Mormon's use the King James Version of the Bible. That's pretty much the Protestant Bible (though some protestants use more recent translations now).

Also, you've listed five groups. How does that give you 7 Bibles?

it is more like a older version of Scientology

it is more like a older version of Scientology

It is the restored Church of Christ. Nothing new about it. And as already stated Mormons use the King James version of the Bible. The book of Mormon is not an UPDATE to the Bible. It covers an entirely different set of people.

Forum List

Back