Is medical marijuana good medicine?

Where were you raised? In San Quentin?

Close, San Francisco which has no shortage of pot users.

Los Angeles closed the pot shops because they were out of control and so are the users.

They tried last year by only closing 400, but it wasn't good enough so they closed them all.
"Out of control?" What exactly do you mean by that? How does an "out of control" marijuana user behave? Do they smile aggressively? Ask too many philosophical questions? Manifest "uncontrollable" munchies?

Consider that the only complaint against the medical marijuana dispensaries is too much marijuana is being dispensed. That's it. Not a valid example of any harm being caused by it. No crimes. No medical complaints. No offensive public behavior. Nothing. Just too many people circumventing a wholly redundant prohibition.

Then you just have to wonder how such a large, pro pot, major city, became anti pot.

Close, San Francisco which has no shortage of pot users.

Los Angeles closed the pot shops because they were out of control and so are the users.

They tried last year by only closing 400, but it wasn't good enough so they closed them all.
"Out of control?" What exactly do you mean by that? How does an "out of control" marijuana user behave? Do they smile aggressively? Ask too many philosophical questions? Manifest "uncontrollable" munchies?

Consider that the only complaint against the medical marijuana dispensaries is too much marijuana is being dispensed. That's it. Not a valid example of any harm being caused by it. No crimes. No medical complaints. No offensive public behavior. Nothing. Just too many people circumventing a wholly redundant prohibition.

Then you just have to wonder how such a large, pro pot, major city, became anti pot.
I certainly will wonder about that.

I spent only a short time in San Francisco in 1958. I recall it was a beautiful, peaceful place and I liked it very much. I'd heard it became a haven for the "Love Generation" in the sixties and I could well understand why. I remember the songs, If You're Going to San Francisco, and I Left My Heart In San Francisco, and can well understand the inspiration for them. I stayed at the Hotel Lankershem (sp?) on Van Ness Boulevard and would not have left so soon but I'd just returned from overseas and had to get home to Brooklyn (striking difference).

I wouldn't think a place like San Francisco would be hostile to marijuana, so I'd be interested in knowing the reason.

Last edited:
Making it legal just opens it up to become corrupted by government regulation as well as taxes :D

I certainly will wonder about that.

I spent only a short time in San Francisco in 1958. I recall it was a beautiful, peaceful place and I liked it very much. I'd heard it became a haven for the "Love Generation" in the sixties and I could well understand why. I remember the songs, If You're Going to San Francisco, and I Left My Heart In San Francisco, and can well understand the inspiration for them. I stayed at the Hotel Lankershem (sp?) on Van Ness Boulevard and would not have left so soon but I'd just returned from overseas and had to get home to Brooklyn (striking difference).

I wouldn't think a place like San Francisco would be hostile to marijuana, so I'd be interested in knowing the reason.

I did not say San Francisco so I don't know where you got that from. It is Los Angeles that finally said enough and closed down all the dispensaries.

I used to live in San Francisco, in the 60s as a matter of fact. It was charming and exciting. Kind of the like eccentric aunt that entertained with her dottyness. Then it started slipping into a dark kind of insanity. The eccentricity went into crazy. I feel awful for the city where I spent my teenage years.

However, the City to crack down was Los Angeles. They tried last year to keep some open by closing 400 of the ones selling drugs other than pot, and weapons to the gangs but it wasn't enough. The public outcry was still such that the City just ordered them all closed. Pot is still legal in the State, but buying and selling is no longer allowed in LA.

When medical marijuana was first legalized the only way it could overcome objections was to leave a loophole in the law that allowed cities to exercise the right to close the business down. They could decide to withhold a business license or revoke one.

I don't know of every city that chose to close dispensaries, I do know that Lake Forest and Torrance did, and now Los Angeles.

Of all the things people can be free to do or must be controlled about, it is absurd for there to be any debate about the inoffensive herb.

Granny says get yer eyes checked...
:cool:
Glaucoma, A Stealth Disease And Major Cause of Blindness
September 26, 2012 - Glaucoma is a major cause of blindness around the world, but especially in developing countries. The World Health Organization says glaucoma is a greater public health challenge than cataracts, because the blindness caused by glaucoma is permanent.
If you think you are not at risk for glaucoma, think again. Glaucoma is a disease that steals the sight of people around the world -- and they typically don't even know they have the disease until it has permanently destroyed at least 40 percent of their vision. Dr. Alan Robin specializes in treating glaucoma. "It's the leading cause of blindness in the United States. In Hispanics and in African-Americans, it’s the second leading cause of blindness," said Robin.

In China and in India, glaucoma is the second leading cause of blindness. "The glaucoma you see in sub-Saharan Africa is a much more aggressive, much more blinding disease than the glaucoma we see in Americans or even African-Americans in the United States," he said. Dr. Eric Fleischer sees these racial differences at Medstar Washington Hospital Center. "Pretty much anybody who has ancestry in Africa has an increased chance for developing glaucoma," said Fleischer.

Age is another risk factor for glaucoma, although people of all ages can get it. As Dr. Robin explains, it's a group of diseases that commonly produce pressure in the eye. "An eye is sort of like a watch. And behind the face of the watch that has the numbers, fluid is made. It goes through your pupil and into the front of the watch between the numbers or the face and the crystal. There's an area around the edge of the watch that drains the fluid," he said.

When that drain is clogged, the fluid can't leave the eye as fast as it is produced. The rising pressure within the eye damages and eventually kills the optic nerve. The result is blindness. The process is usually so painless and subtle, people don't notice it. "Typically they'll notice if they bump into door frames, because they've lost their peripheral vision, or they'll start having car accidents because they don't see a car to one side or the other," said Fleischer.

Fortunately, glaucoma can be easily diagnosed. The simplest test measures peripheral vision. That's because with glaucoma the side vision is the first to go. The good news is that, if caught early, glaucoma can be managed. "It's not preventable, but it's treatable," said Robin. Glaucoma is not reversible, but, as researchers learn more about it, they grow more hopeful that glaucoma can one day be cured or even prevented.

Source

Actually marijuana is not a medicine and it is also harmful but when used by vaporizer device it is not at all harmful for use..

This is my opinion on it...

I think "smoking your medicine" is silly.... BUT... if it were legal and not so GAWD DAMNED expensive, because its illegal, folks would not have to smoke it.

I know first hand that marijuana helps with my back pain... but I also know that if you cough wrong... your back will pay a very steep price.

As for cancer and AIDS patients... it works great for appetitie.

Weed is a bag of mixed blessings.

I like weed but not the idea of smoking it. If I were using it to help with cancer treatments or pain, I'd try to perfect cooking with it.

Forum List

Back